High Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.
My iron come back high. Would the iron test high if I used less oul than what the manufacturer calls for?
It takes less oil to get half way to the high mark.

Originally Posted By: whicky1978
My iron come back high. Would the iron test high if I used less oul than what the manufacturer calls for?

What brand of motor oil were you using?

More info is needed. Brand and grade of oil, the iron reading and how many miles?

Posting a pic of the analysis would help a lot.

The engine wears the same number of iron particles whether you have 4 qt or 5 qt but will show higher in 4 qt. For example if it wore 1000 particles it would show 200 in 5 qt and 250 in 4 qt (example).

This assumes you had enough oil to always have oil pressure.

What is your specific definition of high iron? An UOA of your problem would have been nice since you apparently have one.

It was run 10k miles, Nissan Versa 14 stick shift.

OK. Silicon is a little high, but not scary high. Have you checked your intake plumbing and airbox for any leakage? That may be the source of dirt ingestion, which would lead to abrasive wear, which can then present as higher than expected iron.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

OK. Silicon is a little high, but not scary high. Have you checked your intake plumbing and airbox for any leakage? That may be the source of dirt ingestion, which would lead to abrasive wear, which can then present as higher than expected iron.

I have not. Is that the cold air intale assembly? I do use a K&N air filter that stays clean.

I have not. Is that the cold air intale assembly? I do use a K&N air filter that stays clean.

Do you still have your stock airbox and filter setup? Swap it back, see if silicon and iron go down.

Nissan recommends changing the oil every 5k miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. That may lower the Iron rating a bit. Silicon seems ok. Since you have a KN filter do you redline it a lot? Plenty of good oil choices out there. I bet even Forumula Shell at Home Depot for $13/jug would return lower Iron readings after 5000 miles/6 months. The sump only takes 3.7 qts.

I dont redline much , its for convenience. I0k comes out to every four months for me.

I like using the M1 oil filter

There's nothing wrong with the M1 oil filter. But as I also suggested, refit the stock intake and filter. The suggestion to cut back the OCI a bit and re-sample is a good one as well.

U use a filter that stays clean?...Every K&N filter is a glorified rock catcher at best. U can see right through it. Nuff said.

Try a 5W30. 0Wxx is not necessarily benefic other than for cold starts at < 25C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back