Interesting way to advertise that you exceed dexos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spider diagrams are actually pretty common when needing to demonstrate revision changes in standards.

In true marketing fashion, they don't state by how much they exceed anything.

Somewhere on BITOG there is an animated GIF spider diagram that shows the difference between API SN and SN+.

Now we know where Lee Iacocaa is working
wink.gif

Its a little stupid to show a spider graph to show that you "exceed" the dexos1 spec. They are not special.
That is due to the fact that OF COURSE you don't usually have a motor oil that JUST BARELY passes every threshold limit in all the many various tests.
For example, its very common to see full-syn oils beating the micron wear in the Sequence IVA by 80%.

CrAlt: Iacocca is 93, wonder if he still remembers anything. Certainly a big personality back in the day.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Its a little stupid to show a spider graph to show that you "exceed" the dexos1 spec. ...
"Spider graphs" are a stupid way to show anything. Just give the relevant data, instead.

CrAlt: Iacocca is 93, wonder if he still remembers anything. Certainly a big personality back in the day.

He did an interview not too long ago (within the last three years, I'd guess, assuming I still remember things), and seemed coherent, assuming it wasn't editted for clarity.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: CR94
"Spider graphs" are a stupid way to show anything. Just give the relevant data, instead.

So tell me about the last time you got up in front of a room full of senior managers and VPs and we're required to convey engineering concepts to management.

Did you tell them how stupid visual representations are and then proceed to 'just give the relevant data' instead? Because if you reported to me and tried to do that I'd toss you out on your ear.

Originally Posted By: Imp4

So tell me about the last time you got up in front of a room full of senior managers and VPs and we're required to convey engineering concepts to management.

Did you tell them how stupid visual representations are and then proceed to 'just give the relevant data' instead? Because if you reported to me and tried to do that I'd toss you out on your ear.

I know right. Who needs real data when you can have a fictional graphs instead. I'd give him one right in the ear hole too! Silly fact giver.

Its a little stupid to show a spider graph to show that you "exceed" the dexos1 spec. ...

Spider graphs are an excellent way to look at relative performance specs, just not to show the usual, typical, ordinary exceedance margins (too ambiguous) of one oil on one spec. The Lubrizol Relative Performance Tool is quite useful since it compares many specs against one another, where spider charts shine.

Also, spider charts in tire performance can show where the engineers optimized the design (quiet vs. traciton, for example), and can be used to compare one tire to others. Just in this case with 1 spec on 1 oil, its just meaningless, because OF COURSE all oil exceeds every test by some margin, or it would fail.

Originally Posted By: KL31

I know right. Who needs real data when you can have a fictional graphs instead. I'd give him one right in the ear hole too! Silly fact giver.

Fictional graphs in a 30-page powerpoint that takes an hour to present and contains less information than could be fit on a single 8.5x11 page I could read in about a minute.

Efficiency, right.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
Originally Posted By: KL31

Fictional graphs in a 30-page powerpoint that takes an hour to present and contains less information than could be fit on a single 8.5x11 page I could read in about a minute.

Efficiency, right.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back