GTX UltraClean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found some 5.5L (my exact sump capacity!) bottles of Castrol GTX UltraClean 15w40 on sale for $16 last week so I grabbed a couple. I noticed it seems to have replaced the regular GTX 'Modern Engine' 15w40 line, and there was also some 10w30 UltraClean that seems to have replaced the 10w30 Modern Engine GTX...

Has anyone tried this UltraClean line and can anyone attest of its cleaning abilities? Couldn't find much on here about it but I'm happy with the stuff so far, the car is running super smooth and quiet!

Define cleaning abilities.
Or UltraCleaning abilities.

Looks like the marketing department hooked another one.

Last edited:
Maybe it doesn't clean per se, just refers to improved deposit resistance like most of the "clean this clean that" oils

What is in the oil that makes it ultra clean as compared to the oils that aren't ultra clean. . Castrol is a fine oil.

Hey Mate,

Yes I picked up some recently at Repco at $15 for 5L. BTW AutoBarn have a sale on Wesfil Cooper oil filters right now at $5- each.

The GTX 15W40 UltraClean is a synblend and rated API SN/CF & ACEA A3/B3.
Here is a link to the Castrol PDS [Oz GTX15W40 ultraclean PDF]

It claims 50% cleaner than the API SN VG sludge test, the old GTX 15W40 Modern Engine that it replaces, claimed 25% better sludge protection than the industry standard. So in some respects, it's a real improvement over the old mineral formula.

They both have a KV100 of 14.5 cSt.

The best things about this ultra clean stuff is how bloody cheap it has been when on sale!

Can't go wrong for 15-16 bucks per 5L! If they made the 10W30 that cheap, I'd need a new shelving rack in the shed...

Originally Posted By: KL31
The best things about this ultra clean stuff is how bloody cheap it has been when on sale!

Can't go wrong for 15-16 bucks per 5L! If they made the 10W30 that cheap, I'd need a new shelving rack in the shed...

Really I just bought Havoline ProDS full synthetic for $13 a Jug and my rebate has been approved I'm waiting on my rebate.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Really I just bought Havoline ProDS full synthetic for $13 a Jug and my rebate has been approved I'm waiting on my rebate.

Right, but KL31 is posting from Australia so your comment really doesn't apply to a separate market plus currency conversion, etc....

Originally Posted By: Imp4

Right, but KL31 is posting from Australia so your comment really doesn't apply to a separate market plus currency conversion, etc....

Yes it does I've always been able to find synthetic just as cheap or cheaper than conventional oil.

Originally Posted By: Imp4

Yes it does I've always been able to find synthetic just as cheap or cheaper than conventional oil.

Not in Australia.
A full synthetic is always more expensive than a mineral oil, and we don't get rebates here.

Try this one for comparison, over here regular M1 5W30 is $90 for 5L, while M1 0W40 is $105 for the same size, both regular price. The best I have ever seen M1 on sale is $50 for 5L, and that was considered an excellent deal.

That ProDS is hard to find here, but when you do find it, expect to pay about $60 for it.

The cheapest oils in Australia are either 15W40 mineral or 10W40 semi-synthetic. Getting below $20 for 5L in Oz is a very good deal, and it will be most likely with the two 40 grades just listed.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Hey Mate,

Yes I picked up some recently at Repco at $15 for 5L. BTW AutoBarn have a sale on Wesfil Cooper oil filters right now at $5- each.

The GTX 15W40 UltraClean is a synblend and rated API SN/CF & ACEA A3/B3.
Here is a link to the Castrol PDS [Oz GTX15W40 ultraclean PDF]

It claims 50% cleaner than the API SN VG sludge test, the old GTX 15W40 Modern Engine that it replaces, claimed 25% better sludge protection than the industry standard. So in some respects, it's a real improvement over the old mineral formula.

They both have a KV100 of 14.5 cSt.

Can someone please explain what these NEW numbers and letters mean? I am seeing them more and more in posted threads. Thanks!
smile.gif

Hi BlueOvalFitter,

The American oil standard is API, as I'm sure you know. While the European oil standard is ACEA, this is a very high quality standard. For example to be API SN, the Noack Volatility needs to be below 15%, while for any ACEA oil it needs to be below 13%.

The A oils are for petrol (gas) engines.(like API Sx)
The B oils are for light duty diesel engines.
The E oils are for heavy duty diesel engines. (like API Cx)
The C oils put lower SAPS limits on the A & B oils.
An A3 oil is high HTHS, while a A5 oil is low HTHS (like ILSAC).

It's very detailed, here is a link to the full Euro oil standard (ACEA 2016 Sequence PDF)

So the GTX above carries API SN for gas, the ancient CF for diesel. Plus it rated for European cars, with A3 for gas and B3 for light duty diesel.

As far as I know, here in the States the only blends wearing the label "Ultra Clean" are the 5w20 and 5w30 variants. It's not just marketing though IMO, it packs more calcium than any other PCMO I have seen (averages about 2500-2600 ppm). And it has a load of boron to go with it.

You guys down under get some real interesting oils to pick from.

GTX Ultra Clean is the new PYB for me.

Why so high in Australia? Sounds like I need to make a trip and bring some synthetic oil to sell and help pay for the plane. Amsoil must be really high there.

I used to work for a Swedish company and they would bring empty suitcases on business trips and buy all the Levi Blue Jeans they could fit. Said they were over $200 a pair there and here could be had around $20. Who is getting the difference?

In Australia I can get everything from 0W-16 to 20W-50 and more, all found easily at my local autostore. It's simple to get thicker than 20W50, Penrite make a 20W60 and a 40-70 (No W on that sucker) and Castrol Edge make a 25W-50 big bore street machine oil.

So we like our thick oils here, and 40 grade oils are the common working class oils here. So having something like GTX without a 40 grade option, means you won't sell much GTX.

But things are changing and I think 30 grades will soon be the most common oil purchased of PCMO applications. We also get a GTX 10W30 UltraClean.

The GTX 15W40 is Euro rated, so API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B3 (suitable for light duty diesels as well as gas engines).
The GTX 10W30 is American rated, so API SN and ILSAC GF-5 (gas only).

We don't have many conventional 5W-30 oils, they are mostly 10W30 mineral oils (less shear & lower volatility). But we do have many very nice full synthetic 5W30 oils, like here (Edge 5W30 A3/B4 sale)

Imports like Amsoil and RedLine are very expensive (>$20 per 1L) but we get great local oils like Penrite (and Nulon now days) plus pure GTL Shell synthetics, like Shell Helix Ultra as either 5W40 or 0W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back