Best detergent oil for light sludge in Toyota 3.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've run PP 5W-30 or Mobil-1 5w-30 in my 2008 Tacoma with the 3.4. I bought it new and with 87,000+ miles on it, under the valve covers, no varnish and no sludge. Board members and Pennzoil tout the cleaning ability of Pennzoil Synthetic Oils. Try a few changes with Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: CT8
There isn't much if any difference in the major brands of oils.

LOL the main difference is between the ears of people that thinks there's a difference.

And here we go again "cleaning up" and engine that doesn't have a confirmed problem. The OP has been asked about it but hasn't answered.

Ok, from experience I know Synthetics do and excellent job of cleaning engines. In 90s bought a 79 Jeep with sludged 258 I6 engine. Installed a Oberg racing filter with removable cleanable mesh filter(why because) that lit a light on Dash when Bypass opened. Put Mobil 1 5W30 in, first day bypass light came on. Cleaned filter, Second day filter light comes on, clean filter. 4th day light comes on, clean filter etc. After that time to bypass filter light coming on doubled. Took a month and half before bypass light stopped coming on. Changed oil with more Mobile 1. Light never came on again. After taking off valve cover to check valve lash, it was amazing how clean the engine was, still varnish but nothing like the caked on stuff before. It takes time but synthetic oil works

Im sure liking the new Rotella T6 5w30 Multi Car oil in my Toyota’s. Strong enough for a diesel and the right weight for the 3.4. I’ve run Rotella in a number of vehicles and everything stays clean

Originally Posted By: DPRespecki
Hi... Just acquired a new to me 2002 Tacoma with the v6 3.4 It has some light sludge and was wondering what current oils are considered best for good detergent - cleaning attributes? Thinking of doing 1-3 short oil change intervals to clean it up a bit before I do a lot of long driving...

I have a lot of experience with this engine and it's not picky. Run a quality name brand synthetic at regular 5k intervals and it'll do great, there's no need to shorten the interval any. She's real easy on oil being a non-interface timing belt design, hardly shears the oil out of grade. Mine seems to like Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra best of all the types I've tried.

Originally Posted By: xtell
I've run PP 5W-30 or Mobil-1 5w-30 in my 2008 Tacoma with the 3.4. I bought it new and with 87,000+ miles on it, under the valve covers, no varnish and no sludge. Board members and Pennzoil tout the cleaning ability of Pennzoil Synthetic Oils. Try a few changes with Pennzoil.

You don't have a 3.4, it hasn't been in production since 2004, either a 2.7 four cylinder or 4.0 V6 is what your rig has. Just clarifying!
wink.gif

I got a 3.4 in my 2002 4Runner

If i had confirmed sludge im gonna add a little something towards the end of my OCI. Maybe an Amsoil product?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kschachn
And here we go again "cleaning up" and engine that doesn't have a confirmed problem. The OP has been asked about it but hasn't answered.

+1 to this. Very few engines these days actually have visual sludge in them.

OP is asked to confirm if he does have sludge in the engine, and he ignores the question and disappears.

Priceless!

Originally Posted by addyguy
Originally Posted by kschachn

OP is asked to confirm if he does have sludge in the engine, and he ignores the question and disappears.

Priceless!

I did mention that it had light sludge in the opening comment... Not sure why no one saw or read that.

Originally Posted by DPRespecki
Originally Posted by addyguy
Originally Posted by kschachn

Priceless!

I did mention that it had light sludge in the opening comment... Not sure why no one saw or read that.

I think we all saw and read that, we then asked for pics of the sludge. I also mentioned that in the oil fill hole there's a baffle, that has a coating that can resemble sludge.

So, here we are still wondering if in fact this engine has sludge...

Yes, the engine has sludge. No need for pics, I know about the baffle, what sludge looks like, etc... I had to replace the spark plug seals and reseal the valve covers. Believe me, like I said in the opening statement that it is sludge and the previous owner had no idea.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DPRespecki
Yes, the engine has sludge. No need for pics, I know about the baffle, what sludge looks like, etc... I had to replace the spark plug seals and reseal the valve covers. Believe me, like I said in the opening statement that it is sludge and the previous owner had no idea.

None of us are mind-readers, at least that I know of. All of that would have been good info to share in your opening post.

At any rate, good luck with it.

I understand... That is why I stated that it did have light sludge and no was not beating around the bush about it...
Thanks for the help...

And here we go again "cleaning up" and engine that doesn't have a confirmed problem. The OP has been asked about it but hasn't answered.[/quote]

Welcome to BITOG DPRespecki. Although you registered in 16.

Dave, from Redline once recommended running an oil interval of Pennzoil Ultra, prior to using Redline. There are many different groups of oil and it's respective blend. Depends on your price point. There are many brands of motor oil not available in the States.

We are all here to help one another. OP you could try running a dose of Kreen from Kano Labs. Just google it. Good luck, too you!

PS: They want pictures providing proof? U have nothing to prove. There are a lot of various products that can address your concern. I agree with shorter oil change intervals with a good synthetic oil filter. U will get many differing opinions.

Here to help!

Why does it matter if the OP has sludge or not? It's the OP's prerogative so just answer his question, no need to interrogate the OP as if prematurely cleaning an engine is a major crime.

I'm not the expert here however I've read many posts claiming HDEO engine oils have more cleaning additives than non HDEO oils. However the effect appears to be very minor. I Think the advice to run whatever is cheapest for a few short OCI's is a good idea. You can however find HDEO ENGINE OIL FOR CHEAP ALSO so why not give it a shot. Just make sure it's a mixed fleet oil and you should be fine. If it's really sludged up badly go to the engine oil additives forum and look for some other options. I know people have had success using Kreen but you must be very careful not to clog anything up. Good luck. ðŸ‘

Originally Posted by Ammofirst
I'm not the expert here however I've read many posts claiming HDEO engine oils have more cleaning additives than non HDEO oils. However the effect appears to be very minor. I Think the advice to run whatever is cheapest for a few short OCI's is a good idea. You can however find HDEO ENGINE OIL FOR CHEAP ALSO so why not give it a shot. Just make sure it's a mixed fleet oil and you should be fine. If it's really sludged up badly go to the engine oil additives forum and look for some other options. I know people have had success using Kreen but you must be very careful not to clog anything up. Good luck. ðŸ‘

Search SonOfJoe's posts. He's a well respected member of the board and work(ed) in industry. He has several posts which detail that the word "detergent" as most Americans interpret it does not apply to detergents in motor oil... they do not actually "clean". Both Calcium and Magnesium are in motor oils as an acid neutralizer and the "cleaning ability" is all hype. If you also search JAG's post on Valvoline Premium Blue Restore, it details why that oil specifically IS able to do some cleaning, and it has to do with the extreme polarity of the molecules, not the "detergents" themselves.

It's actually fascinating reading if you find several of the posts/threads and can wrap your brain around all of it. MolaKule, JAG, and SonOfJoe seem to be the most knowledgeable, which makes sense since I think they all work in industry. As far as Kreen goes, Trav has an epic thread on it which got locked because of some unrelated bickering. Kreen is the real deal if your engine needs deep cleaning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back