Dodge ram evaporator core replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shop wants about $900.00 to replace this. What's so hard about this job? I've seen YouTube videos where they just lift the dash up enough to gain access vs removing it.

It isn't hard, but it is time consuming. I have done quite a few the last couple years, I still don't look forward to them. I usually lay the dash against the seat.

The clamps on the heater hoses can be a pain to get to on a diesel. I pull them through the firewall and take the clamps loose in the cab. If the lines bolt to the evaporator with the little manifold block, I have had problems getting aftermarket evaporators to seal. The mopar evaporator comes with a new manifold already installed, it is expensive though. Over $300 I think.

I think they're stupid easy, Do a evaporator core on a Jaguar or a early 90's Ford Taurus & get back to me! Everything literally unplugs.....You don't have to mess with the dash harness at all.

You got to have the A/C line disconnect tools, While your in there replace the Recirculate Door assembly with a updated one if it hasn't been done.

Use OE parts!!!!

I started to mention the doors, I think the mode door is the one I have seen broken the most often. I guess my biggest complaint is that most of the trucks I have done belonged to farmers and they get really dusty and nasty inside the dash. One of them belonged to a chicken farmer, that one was awful. I lysol'ed the firewall on that one.

I did a 2003 gas burner today. It had a leaking heater core, a broke mode door and a broke recirculate door. This one was the easiest I have done. The dash literally fell out, snatching the connector out of the ORC before I could get it unplugged.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Is that one of the year Dodge trucks where the dash pad falls apart if you look at it wrong?

Not on the scale of the '98-'02 models.....But the '03-'09 models have been cracking with age.

Some shops will say "evaporator leak" when they can't find the leak and want to get rid of you.

The '98 to '02 had lemon evaporators which would corrode and leak badly (i.e. lose the charge almost immediately). Later models seem to be better.

I think the stop leak they used clogged up my whole system. It makes a whining sound like a hydraulic system and doesn't blow cold nor does the compressor disengage.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I think the stop leak they used clogged up my whole system. It makes a whining sound like a hydraulic system and doesn't blow cold nor does the compressor disengage.

Wow.
You're looking at total system replacement. And I mean total. Every part that contains refrigerant is contaminated and must be replaced.

Last edited:
yeah, that is why stop-leak is not ideal. I know Chris142 will rant about it destroying his equipment, as well he has every right to since it is an expensive fix.

It actually is real simple. It's totally clogged up with stop-leak. There is no way to remove the stuff because it hardens like glue. Replace the entire system and don't use stop-leak next time.

So how do I go about that? Sue the shop because they recommended to use stop leak? How much does it cost to replace a whole a.c. system? $5000?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll call the shop on monday and see what they say I guess. I guess this explains why it would work some days and not others.

I had to have both the evaporator and heater core replaced on my 2001 Ram. I didn't do the work myself. I wish I'd had the heater core replaced when the evaporator was replaced but it was summertime in SE Louisiana and heater core was the farthest subject from my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back