Was Royal Purple ever considered a "boutique" oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was a boutique oil now.
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Trav
Years ago but not anymore.

Yeah, then their data sheets started showing some real ho-hum oils with a few on the same sheet materially different (OK looking)...now you can't get data sheets without registering.

They've got something to hide.

And the oil I put in the diff of my last SUV came out clumpy, smelly, and black...I was VERY disappointed.

Like everyone else is saying, at one point they were. Not anymore. They are just a regular oil that is overpriced. I'm not sure if this happened because of Calumet or not? Maybe someone else may know?

The only reason I am using it now is my neighbor was moving and had 14 jugs of the 5w30 in his garage. He didn't want to move it with him. I gave him $100 for all of it and will use it all up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: geekster
Like everyone else is saying, at one point they were. Not anymore. They are just a regular oil that is overpriced. I'm not sure if this happened because of Calumet or not? Maybe someone else may know?

If you are referring to their synthetic Group III SN/GF-5/Dexos offering, this was developed for the Walmart opportunity prior to the acquisition by Calumet.

Yes..This is what I was referring to. Not the HPS variety. I honestly don't know much about their HPS oils.

Thanks for the info on that Tom. I wasn't sure when it happened.

Last edited:
Not really. Just over priced is my opinion. I wouldn't have ever gotten any but for Rollback at Walmart $20 a Jug. Got two jugs of 10W-30 I'll use for summer oil. Just kind of like the new Mobil 1 AP or the new over priced Valvoline my Toyota will get along just fine without all of them.

Last edited:
Was always boutique to me. In my local stores it's either not there, or on the top shelf (literally) and way overpriced ...
frown.gif

I think they always wanted to be Redline or Amsoil, but never quite made the jump. Sort of almost a real boutique oil ...

Last edited:
Same class as Amsoil imo when it comes to engine oil. Now, Amsoil kills it in gear and transmission fluids when compared to RP, but there are very few boutique engine oils anymore. Lest we forget what boutique means "different" thus justifying a greater price. PUP's high detergency-GtL would deserve the title boutique before either of these companies when it comes to engine oil.

Originally Posted By: burla
Same class as Amsoil imo when it comes to engine oil. Now, Amsoil kills it in gear and transmission fluids when compared to RP, but there are very few boutique engine oils anymore. Lest we forget what boutique means "different" thus justifying a greater price. PUP's high detergency-GtL would deserve the title boutique before either of these companies when it comes to engine oil.

No. Again, there is little to no evidence to support your "imo" that the purple dye added to Royal Purple, or the base oils, or the Valvoline-like additive package RP has is any better than SuperTech Full Synthetic at walmart. The price is different though. .... Marketing is deceptive, no doubt.

Amsoil does have some evidence that it may actually be worth its extra price. Cringing to think anybody could think RP == Amsoil. Actually RP === SuperTech

Um, let's see. Amsoil 5w30 has lowered their viscosity at operating temp by a full point, lowered their zinc to get the button, lowered their calcium for people with di turbos, took away their pao base as a marketing decision, and you still think they are "great" oil? They could put saw dust in their formula and you would blindly think they are great.

Difference between super tech and Amsoil is the moly, which is the last bit of love I have for the Amsoil, I actually think it is great that they go up in moly. However, if history is the guide, someday that moly level will be toast as well.

What are the Wal-Mart variety RP users experiences? Smooth quiet startups,noisy startups,smooth running engines,etc. Just curious as I’ve never used it before.

Back on point, RP is a gimmick and in the 4x4 forums which is where I spend most of my time posting, that is the one brand you can't even mention as far as gear oils. They are that bad, but engine applications are incredibly forgiving to as which oil is in there, so you can get away with gimmicks like dyed engine oil. The funny thing is the gears tv episode where they got more HP just by using rp and that was a sign of how great the oil is, lol. No, that was the trade off you get better HP at the cost of metal to metal protection. I think most oil guys would sacrifice a little HP for better film.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Trav
Years ago but not anymore.

Yeah, then their data sheets started showing some real ho-hum oils with a few on the same sheet materially different (OK looking)...now you can't get data sheets without registering.

They've got something to hide.

And the oil I put in the diff of my last SUV came out clumpy, smelly, and black...I was VERY disappointed.

From their website

RP PDS

Originally Posted By: burla
The funny thing is the gears tv episode where they got more HP just by using rp and that was a sign of how great the oil is, lol. No, that was the trade off you get better HP at the cost of metal to metal protection.

If it was at a cost of "metal to metal protection" then it would generate more heat and we all know that heat actually kills horse power so in the end it would be less hp if your theory was correct.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What are the Wal-Mart variety RP users experiences? Smooth quiet startups,noisy startups,smooth running engines,etc. Just curious as I’ve never used it before.

The stuff I got from my neighbor is the Wal-Mart variety. I can't tell a difference in startup or running sound. Both cars run smooth and quiet. Seems fine to me and at roughly $8 a jug is probably the best
"oil score" I'll probably ever get. 8 of the jugs I got were the one's without the Dexos image on the bottle. The rest had the Dexos on the bottle. I don't know if that makes a difference or not? I'm using the one's
without the Dexos licensing first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back