Gimme the Skinny on My Newest Used Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up a 2000 Acura Integra LS (1.8L I4 & 5 speed manual trans) w/ 140K miles on it from a co-worker to have for wife's local commutes and errand running. Nothing mechanically wrong with the car that I can tell other than just some 20 y/o parts needing to be replaced and usual wear/tear tasks needing to be performed.

Anyway, I am starting blind with these cars and their engines/transmissions. I normally love to do the research to get intimate with my vehicles, but I need to get personal with this one in a hurry to make sure it stays running and I don't bite off more than I can chew with any planned maintenance tasks. So I am asking for your hard-learned, super-valuable, not-well-known facts, tips, tricks, and just general trivia knowledge on these cars and their drivetrains.

What do I need to know before I even change the oil or rotate the tires (metaphorically speaking of course).

Are there any items/tasks with the vehicle which is best left to the pros? (I'll try to fix or replace just about anything except rebuilding an automatic transmission; I will always punt when that becomes an option with an autoaatic trans!)

Why do these cars seem to be so scarce? I tried to do a quick price comparison when the co-worker told me he had one for sale, just to get a ball-park figure idea of what to offer, but I could not hardly find any for sale within several states. What gives?

many thanks for any knowledge shared
nuke

The reason that these Integra's are so scarce is because Honda/Acura didn't make them in large numbers. They're generally a Civic based car with some Acura specific parts.

IDK if these 1.8L engines were timing belt or chain but, this is one are often left for the Pro's unless you've done them before. If you have done timing belts before, Honda/Acura Crank Bolt are often a reverse thread when removing it...keep this in mind.

They're typically a(mmmmm) simple vehicle to work on...if you've worked on Honda/Acura cars before. Being the LS trim, I am assuming that it's only the 140ish horsepower Integra and not the high strung Type-R 180 horsepower high performance model.

Most any 5W30 motor oil will work fine be it dino or syn and the filter is usually a bit difficult to access but, not impossible.

Manual Tranny Fluid could be anything along the lines of motor oil to actual MTF, you'd need to see the OM. And it's just a drain & fill.

Coolant is typically an Asian type of long life. Honda/Acura models of that generation have a bleeder screw atop the engine(somewhere) while filling the system. They also have a removable/unscrew engine block plug for flushing. This makes flushing & filling the system easier and also eliminates the possibilities of trapped air in the system.

Power Steering fluid is definitely HONDA P/S Fluid or since you live in the D/FW area, most any brand that spec's HONDA/Acura on it should be fine. The reason that I say that because if living in cold climates, I'd definitely use the HONDA Brand P/S fluid as it handles the frigid cold temp better(below Zero degrees). Otherwise, any brand that spec's Honda/Acura will serve you well in warmer temps.

Brake fluid is(IMHO) any DOT3/4

Last edited:
From my quick search, these Integra 1.8L is a timing belt. If the one in your car has not been changed, then it certainly needs to be. At 140K, it's overdue. I hope it's already been done. Do you know for sure?

https://car-repairs.knoji.com/how-to-che...hc-18l-engines/

Also, if your manual tranny specs a, e.g., 10W30 *which most Honda manual trannys did at one time/long time ago, keep in mind that 10W30 oils today have changed quite a bit since the old days(
laugh.gif
) and you may want to use a Honda specific manual transmission fluid(MTF). Due to 10W30's do not have the same chemistry as they once did for a manual transmission. Other members may disagree.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
From my quick search, these Integra 1.8L is a timing belt. If the one in your car has not been changed, then it certainly needs to be. At 140K, it's overdue. I hope it's already been done. Do you know for sure?

https://car-repairs.knoji.com/how-to-che...hc-18l-engines/

Co-worker was told by guy that sold it to him (a mechanic evidently) that he had performed the timing belt maintenance prior to the sale. That was years ago and 30-40K miles ago, so who knows if it really was or not, or if everything is still in good working order now.

I have been waffling on doing the timing belt maintenance after I get the low hanging fruit done, but the transverse mounted engine worries me a little. All of my timing belts were done on RWD vehicles; no FWD TB experience, and as I understand it, that is a different beast altogether on FWDs. And so I’m still undecided at this point on how/when/if to do the timing belt stuff on this one.

Well, there is quite a few youtube videos on Honda/Acura timing belts and it may be easier than you might think. I also think that there is an easy to remove timing belt cover and you can check the condition of the belt.

Also, I believe that Honda/Acura requires a water pump replacement with the timing belt as the timing belt drives the water pump. Plus all tensioners and such. If you have to do it, do it completely. These Integra's can be amazing cars to drive.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Well, there is quite a few youtube videos on Honda/Acura timing belts and it may be easier than you might think. I also think that there is an easy to remove timing belt cover and you can check the condition of the belt.

Also, I believe that Honda/Acura requires a water pump replacement with the timing belt as the timing belt drives the water pump. Plus all tensioners and such. If you have to do it, do it completely. These Integra's can be amazing cars to drive.

It might be amazing to drive this car for my wife, but for me, it's going to be a more..."interesting" experience, I do believe.

As in, I hope I never get into a wreck or drive into a lake and need to exit the vehicle quickly, because at 6'8", it would be very interesting to see me have to execute an emergency exit from this little sucker once I have wedged myself in to drive it:
20180501_184839848_iOS.jpg
shocked.gif

I would flip it.

Those cars are popular with ricers.

My buddy had one with the bug eye headlights like yours..put a bumblebee muffler on it and a few other 'JDM' things and was 'cool' for awhile.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
That was the ultimate rice car during the early- mid 2000s

Really...well if that is the case, then they are probably THE most easily amused, eccentric-exuding, pseudo-gearheads I have ever been associated with

+1 on the timing belt and water pump if they weren't changed at about 90-105K. These models, especially with the manual transmission, can run a very long time. I'm familiar with the Acura brand as I've owned a Legend, an RL and a TL. I'd use a top dino oil like Pennzoil 5w-30 to help with any cleaning that the engine might need. I'd also shy away from any Chinese made filters, oil or air. If it's a southern car, probably no worries with rust?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
+1 on the timing belt and water pump if they weren't changed at about 90-105K. These models, especially with the manual transmission, can run a very long time. I'm familiar with the Acura brand as I've owned a Legend, an RL and a TL. I'd use a top dino oil like Pennzoil 5w-30 to help with any cleaning that the engine might need. I'd also shy away from any Chinese made filters, oil or air. If it's a southern car, probably no worries with rust?

For the engine oil, my plan was to run a couple of short OCIs with some quality synthetic oil to try to clean out anything that might need to be cleaned out and is capable of being cleaned out by some quality oil run in a short OCI. From there on out, I figured I would run one of the quality HM oils in 5W-30 (or possibly 10W-30 in months not named December or January).

As far as filters' makers, I usually try to run a Wix or mid-level Fram if possible, and that was the plan with this one as well.

No rust; a few hail craters though...not dents either, these puppies look like the hail was mad at that car! Too deep/big to fix without panel replacement, but car isn't worth that expense to me, so I will be leaving those 4-6 hail craters where they sit. This car is about function, not form!

Mucho Grassy-[censored] for all the info, everyone!

Best thing to do IMHO is to look at some of the Acura Integra forums, you'll get alot of "Ricer" talk but they will have a ton of info about common issues and how to fix them, along with reputable vendors. I wish I had joined a good forum when I first got my GTO it would have saved me a ton of money and headaches.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
That was the ultimate rice car during the early- mid 2000s

I remember those quite fondly from my high school days, you weren't a real Asian unless you drove a Civic EK/EG of that era. Everyone creamed over the Si, Integra GS/GS-R and the CTR/ITRs then.

Now, the day workers drive them. They are as ratty as the old German cars you see in the 'hood but they still run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back