Difference between NGK BR6ES and BPR6ES ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thoroughly confused after cross referencing plugs this afternoon. I pulled up the manual for my Champion generator, model 46555 and the manual says to use NGK BR6ES (notice the lack of a "P" between the "B" and "R"). The Torch plug that came out of my generator from factory was model F6RTC. When you cross reference the Torch F6RTC on either of the NGK or Champion websites you get the NGK BPR6ES or the Champion RN9YC.

The NGK BR6ES cross references to the Champion RN4C.

These are obviously different plugs, so I am confused. Do I go with the BR6ES stated in the manual, or the cross referenced Torch F6RTC equivalent which is the NGK BPR6ES or Champion RN9YC??

For the record I put in a BR7ES in the generator and she's running like a champ (I couldn't find the BR6ES and decided to go one step cooler as a stop gap to get the generator running). However, with the Torch plug cross referencing to the BPR6ES, I'm not sure what to do.

Originally Posted By: webfors
I'm thoroughly confused after cross referencing plugs this afternoon.

The "P" stands for projected tip. According to According to http://www.ngksparkplugs.ca/tech-info-spark-plugs.cfm it should run 10-20C hotter than the non "P" version. The pics of the plugs from your earlier thread showed them to be fouled. Whether that was because of an icorrect heat range or simply a result of a cheap Chinese plug, I cannot say.

I would like to second the motion on use of the NGK BPR6EIX plug, although I myself haven't found time to put one in my Champion Generator yet. Perhaps next weekend; I will loop back and report if that comes to pass.

All clarified. If I only googled "projected vs non-projectd' first.
grin.gif

https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/blog/technical-tips/spark-plug-tips-tricks/

Looks like they are interchangeable, which means I only need to stock one plug type for all three of my small engines; snowblower, mower, and generator. Since the generator came with a projected tip plug, I'll simply stock the BPR6ES or Champion's RN9YC.

I'll take a look at the BPR6EIX next time I'm at the store. If the price is right I might try it. What would be the main benefits of using that plug over the standard copper plug in small engines?

I replaced the plug in the snowblower and the Honda mower. I took pictures of all three plugs (including the plug from the generator). A NGK (from the Honda), a Torch (from the snowblower) and a NHSP (from the generator). I originally thought the NHSP was a Torch because of the model number on it. However the Torch from the snowblower has the obvious Torch branding.

All three plugs are about the same age, 8-9 years old. Of the three the snowblower got the most use. Of the three only the NHSP actually failed and in fact worked horribly from the time I bought the generator. The other two plugs seemed to work fine. However, I noticed considerably less black smoke on startup out of both the snowblower and the mower today after changing them both to a Champion RN9YC.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n65jegv3oszvqq4/AAClUmAPCy0u2ou3vkGZV73ta?dl=0

webfors, I replace my snowblower plug F6RTC with NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug (BPR6EIX), Part No. 6637 on 04/01/18. I could not start the snowblower with the manual pull when F6RTC was in there. I had to use the electric start and even then it took a lot of cranks to start. When we got blasted with 16" of snow, I installed the NGK plug and started the snowblower with just two (2) plulls. A week ago, we got another 10" of heavy, wet snow. My snowblower only needed 2 pulls to start. What a difference BPR6EIX made in this snowblower (Troy-Bilt Vortex 2490). I paid $5.59 per at Advance auto after 20% off + tax.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
webfors, I replace my snowblower plug F6RTC with NGK Iridium IX Spark Plug (BPR6EIX), Part No. 6637 on 04/01/18. I could not start the snowblower with the manual pull when F6RTC was in there. I had to use the electric start and even then it took a lot of cranks to start. When we got blasted with 16" of snow, I installed the NGK plug and started the snowblower with just two (2) plulls. A week ago, we got another 10" of heavy, wet snow. My snowblower only needed 2 pulls to start. What a difference BPR6EIX made in this snowblower (Troy-Bilt Vortex 2490). I paid $5.59 per at Advance auto after 20% off + tax.

That sounds like the experience with my generator. It would take a seriously long hammering away at the electric start to get it going. I could NEVER get it running with the pull start. With the new plug, one pull! Seriously, I just tested it cold, one pull!! Now all my small engines are in the "one pull club", which makes me very happy
grin.gif

My chonda snowblower with the torch plug has always started on first pull. It has been the most reliable engine I've owned so far. With the new plug it seems to run smoother and blows less smoke on start up. It's been put away with fresh oil and a load of rust proofing for the summer.

My Troy-Bilt snow blower with a Chinese PowerMore engine came with a Torch F6RTC spark plug. While it worked I was leery of Chinese plugs so for less than $3 I changed it to a NGK BPR6ES plug, which matched the Torch plug specs. It actually starts slightly quicker than the Torch plug did. Though in all honesty the Torch plug was not a problem for the short time I used it.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: webfors
I'm thoroughly confused after cross referencing plugs this afternoon.

This evening I replaced the factory original plug in my Champion 3500 watt generator. My unit has the 196 cc engine; Champion seems to have a number of engine variations in this wattage. The original plug was a NHSP LD F6RTC. I replaced it with a NGK BPR6EIX Iridium.

The machine started on the second pull with the original plug, which is pretty impressive considering that I shut off the fuel valve and run the carb dry after every use. After replacing the plug, the machine started on the second pull again. It needed some choke and probably would have started on the first pull. We'll see how she runs at the next power outage or load test.

I have to admit that there is nothing obvious wrong with the original NHSP plug, not even any evidence of fouling. This is in contrast to a Torch plug pulled from my Ariens snow blower after only two hours of use, and fouled to the point where the machine would not start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back