2009 F150 5.4 3 Valve Engine Seized

Status
Not open for further replies.
164k religious 5k oil changes with full synthetic.

Was driving today and suddenly engine locked up. No drop in oil pressure, plenty of oil on the dipstick,no overheating. No check engine lights no nothing until it locked up while diving then the low oil pressure light flickered. No crazy ticking, no loss in power. Just sudden engine seizure. Took the belt off, didn’t help, pulled 3 plugs, no change.

Starter tries to kick over the engine and it rocks in the engine bay. Got it towed to a local rebuilder that has done 5.4 3v’s in the last week. This truck has literally never had a problem outside of a wheel bearing!

What gives?

Last edited:
Already at the shop. It’s had a steady dose of castrol, pennzoil, or mobil 1.

Typically 0w20, 5w20 or 0w30.

Originally Posted By: PReal
Already at the shop. It’s had a steady dose of castrol, pennzoil, or mobil 1.

Typically 0w20, 5w20 or 0w30.

35.gif

If the engine rocks in the engine bay it wouldn't be the engine that's seized you wouldn't think. In order to rock the starter would have to be torquing against something in the driveline, if the engine is completely seized there should be no rocking.

Just a theory.

Check the status of that oil. mine had no issues for a month and a half. turn out the "oil" was no good.

Sorry to hear...it will be interesting to hear what the mechanic finds.

Speculate the main bearings. Or timing chain. Or both.

Originally Posted By: ctechbob
If the engine rocks in the engine bay it wouldn't be the engine that's seized you wouldn't think. In order to rock the starter would have to be torquing against something in the driveline, if the engine is completely seized there should be no rocking.

Just a theory.

This. I would look at the transmission before the engine. A seized engine will only make a “click” sound and no engine movement. With no warning or noise I find it hard to believe the engine is the issue.

Originally Posted By: mattd

Just a theory.

This. I would look at the transmission before the engine. A seized engine will only make a “click” sound and no engine movement. With no warning or noise I find it hard to believe the engine is the issue.

ASE L1????????

It tries to to click 3 times and give the engine block a little side to side bounce. The 2009 f150’s engage the starter 3 times.

The truck still rolled freely in gear after it froze. The only thing in the driveline that could it it except engine would be the flexplate right?

The lead rebuilder came out and when he saw it he said it was for sure locked up. Another less qualified mechanic said the same thing when I was broke down behind his shop.

If they remove the engine and it’s only the flexplate, that will be pretty easy to see.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
Pretty normal for those 3v junks. Same thing happened to my old managers F-150

The more I read, the more that appears to be the case. Sounds like the plastic timing chain tensioner and guidesbite the bullet and then send plastic up the oil pump.

The sad thing is that the gauge in this truck is really an on/off switch and not a gauge. I guess if I had enough psi to trip the switch it will tell me my pressure is good.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
Originally Posted By: mattd

Just a theory.

ASE L1????????

Have you ever seen a car with a seized engine???

I have seen car too many and have never seen the engine rock side to side. One solid click from the starter. If the crank doesn’t move the engine won’t rock back and forth. If it is indeed seized I would sure like to know what happened as this would be the first time in 13 years I would have heard about an engine that “rocks” when the starter engages. But hey, you see something new every day I suppose.

If it is indeed seized, as stated I would guess timing chain failure but they usually make noise on these engines before failing.

OP, did the engine move in the opposite direction?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back