$170 batteries from AZ, AAP, and O Reilly's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. You got it right. Prices for the gold batteries went up from $141 to $169.99 aka $170 plus tax. Of course some states don't have state tax... Anyhow, these prices are up $28 within a year. And up $43 from just 2 years ago. Rip off is here in my opinion. I say that because the same EXACT battery at Federated Auto group 24f is at $104. O Reilly's group 24f is $170 for it. What a bunch of horse number #2.

And Wally World in my area has East Penn battery group 24f at $94 last I checked... If you like Wally World and the fun that ensues there.

Napa's prices are still rather reasonable for their East Penn made batteries. I think the Legend group 24f battery is $114. Way better than the big 3 parts stores. So let everyone you know just how much batteries have gone up in those 3 stores.

They used to be $129.00 and have an 8 year warranty. They only last 2 years now. I haven't bought a battery in like 7 years now thanks to the free replacement.

Wally still has the $49 Valupower.

I haven't shopped Oreilly's-- do they have stupid coupons as well?

Seems like the lack of competition is doing something, and the brick-and-mortars figure they can soak people over something heavy that doesn't ship well from an online vendor.

FWIW the Bosh batteries including AGMs at Pep Boys don't appear to have increased in price. My wife's 2011 Mustang was totaled with only 3 months use on the Group 48 Bosch AGM I installed ending my experiment early on Bosch AGM longevity / reliability.

Sam's Club East Penn (Duracell) batteries look unchanged to me as well.

You could buy three of the $49 Valu batteries at Walmart for the same price. I’d probably go that route instead of pay $170 for a battery. Even if you have to replace the battery every two years you are still ahead.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Seems like the lack of competition is doing something, and the brick-and-mortars figure they can soak people over something heavy that doesn't ship well from an online vendor.

Wally's
Everstart Maxx approx $90-$110 (5 year warranty)
Value Power $50
Best distribution model in the country

How much more competition do you want?
Are you implying they raised prices because Amazon isn't competitive selling batteries?

Could you make the same argument as to why O'Reilly's has $40/jug Mobil 1?

Or are they after a different target market?

Looking forward to your response!

Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: eljefino

Wally's
Everstart Maxx approx $90-$110 (5 year warranty)
Value Power $50
Best distribution model in the country

How much more competition do you want?
Are you implying they raised prices because Amazon isn't competitive selling batteries?

Could you make the same argument as to why O'Reilly's has $40/jug Mobil 1?

Or are they after a different target market?

AZ & AAP are the convenience stores of auto parts-I don't think much gets moved out of there without a discount of some kind or other.

The only non-bargain basement bargain batteries I've seen are Costco's Interstates and Deka at Lowe's. If you need Groups 26, 45, or 51 they've got all of them for under $80 but you'll need to special order them and pick them up at a store. Also several motorcycle, marine, or mower batteries.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=deka

I don't quite understand the limited selection, but I needed a Group 51 and they had the best price. I did have to work around that they weren't an auto parts store and wouldn't take my battery for the core deposit.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle
AZ & AAP are the convenience stores of auto parts-I don't think much gets moved out of there without a discount of some kind or other.

Probably true.

What I think is getting missed here is the oreilleys, AZ, etc are not targeting the same consumer as Wally's or Amazon.

The landscape is littered with the bodies of companies that tried to deliver lowest cost and volume merchandise (Kmart, Sears, insert your regional discounter here).

O'Reilly's and AZ are after the consumer that wants the auto parts store experience, wants the convenience of parts in hand, and is not as price sensitive as most. These are people that want to talk to the counter clerk and walk out of the store with merchandise in their hand.

All the price sensitive consumers have gone to Wally's and Amazon for fluids and consumables and RA and Amazon for rock bottom parts prices.

That the prices between RA, Wally's and Amazon are different than AZ, O'Reilly's, etc is both true and irrelevant because they are targeting completely different consumer market segments.

It has little if anything to do with competition in the market place.

For anyone that has done a SWOT analysis, this is Marketing 101.

Last edited:
advance auto parts seems to build their price around their frequent 40 percent off coupon codes.

If you are walking up to a counter without ordering online via a coupon code you are paying too much.

Thats a good thing Nygotha. I'm glad Pep boys has not jumped on board with that foolishness. Plus as you know their 25% to 35% off can make their batteries very reasonable. Of course AAP has the 25% and on seldom occasion 30% off at times as well. But increasing their prices $28 does not make that such a great deal after that big jump.

I am going to go to Federated Auto for my batteries due to the price being $65 cheaper for a East Penn made battery. 3 yr free replacement warranty same as Wally World and O Reilly's. I just don't care to go to Walmart for a number of reasons.

Last edited:
Thank goodness I have a Rural King in town. $60 every day on common group sizes and just bought a mower battery this year and last year for $20. Rural king Batteries are Exide.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 69Torino
Thank goodness I have a Rural King in town...

This is another great choice for those of us that value value.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Imp4
Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle

Probably true.

What I think is getting missed here is the oreilleys, AZ, etc are not targeting the same consumer as Wally's or Amazon.

The landscape is littered with the bodies of companies that tried to deliver lowest cost and volume merchandise (Kmart, Sears, insert your regional discounter here).

O'Reilly's and AZ are after the consumer that wants the auto parts store experience, wants the convenience of parts in hand, and is not as price sensitive as most. These are people that want to talk to the counter clerk and walk out of the store with merchandise in their hand.

All the price sensitive consumers have gone to Wally's and Amazon for fluids and consumables and RA and Amazon for rock bottom parts prices.

That the prices between RA, Wally's and Amazon are different than AZ, O'Reilly's, etc is both true and irrelevant because they are targeting completely different consumer market segments.

It has little if anything to do with competition in the market place.

For anyone that has done a SWOT analysis, this is Marketing 101.

Costco and Sam's.

Originally Posted By: v_p_w
Costco and Sam's.

Hey, this is a great point and I neglected them in my comments.

These guys fall in with Wally's on the competitive landscape. They are vying for the same consumer. Reasonably priced and available on site.

They are not targeting the same consumer market segment as O'Reilly's $167 price point.

True indeed. Rural King has great prices on batteries and motor oil... AGM batteries are $129 there. That's an everyday price by the way... Oil... How about Havoline from $2.99 everyday price, or their house oil for $9.99 Dexos gen 2 approved...

Closest RK to me.... 170 miles away to my North and west....

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
AAP has great deals with 40% off promo codes.

You may be correct, however, winning the coupon game and winning the value game are totally different endeavors.

It is important to not confuse the two.

I have not seen a 40% off coupon from AAP in a quite a while.... Highest I've seen is 30% and that is not all too often at all in the past say 8 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back