Exide batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to find a decent start battery for my motorhome. Prices seem to be all over with even the most expensive having fairly poor reviews. Exide seems to have somewhat decent reviews at a $100 price point. What I'm needing is a vibration resistant grp 31 or 65. I keep a Battery Minder on when not being used but after 5-6 years they all seem to lose their strength. I don't want to spend $150-200 on a battery that's no better than a $100 one.
What's the consensus on Exide?
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc...he?cm_vc=-10005

All batteries these days are pretty much good to 3-4 years. Keep them cool in the summer and stored inside in the winter if you can afford it. Batteries are just another thing they don't make like they used to...

I have decent success with batteries & battery minder/maintainer and(AND) keeping an eye on the acid level in the battery...acid level is so important when it comes to the longevity of the battery. I am on 13 years with the battery in my Firebird in my sig and 5 years with the marine battery for my backup sump pump.

Before using a battery maintainer, I would go through batteries like everyone else.

Originally Posted By: Donald
get a Everstart MAXX at Walmart.

Yes that's the best deal, slightly under $100 for a group 65.

Spending any more than that would only be useful if getting a ~ $160 AGM. You'll probably get 7-8 years out of it in that use scenario so the cost per year is about the same.

Where to get one for $160? Here is one example after an Advance Auto parts $-off or %-off coupon code:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/auto...-agm/10310830-P

You might also want to look at your Battery Maintainer trickle rate, some are set way too high to just float a battery for months and can do some harm themselves through overcharge if not unplugged every other week.

Originally Posted By: Dave9

Spending any more than that would only be useful if getting a ~ $160 AGM. You'll probably get 7-8 years out of it in that use scenario so the cost per year is about the same.

Where to get one for $160? Here is one example after an Advance Auto parts $-off or %-off coupon code:

You might also want to look at your Battery Maintainer trickle rate, some are set way too high to just float a battery for months and can do some harm themselves through overcharge if not unplugged every other week.

He has a Battery Minder. The more expensive models are temp compensated for both hi and low temps. It will keep his battery properly charged. If its a cheaper model then it could overcharge in the heat of the summer I guess.

No, I monitor charge rate by V & A. Example with present battery which is still operational-13.2V @ .05A on maintainence
Originally Posted By: Dave9

He has a Battery Minder. The more expensive models are temp compensated for both hi and low temps. It will keep his battery properly charged. If its a cheaper model then it could overcharge in the heat of the summer I guess.

It is still up in the air for me. A little research tells me that the Exide 31 XHE @ $100 is 55# while the Everstart 65 @ $94 is only 44#. Wouldn't $6 be worth the extra 11# of lead? Heavier plates is good I've been told.

get a Everstart MAXX at Walmart. Forget the Exide.

Or an Interstate at an Interstate dealer.

Same down south … have had better runs with those two and phasing off Exide ... have one left that failed a month before warranty instead of normal one month after …

The Everstart doesn't say anything about endurance from the rough road hammering. Believe me when I say I need a battery that's tough. I replace screws, bolts, and misc parts almost every travel day.

Originally Posted By: pkunk
The Everstart doesn't say anything about endurance from the rough road hammering. Believe me when I say I need a battery that's tough. I replace screws, bolts, and misc parts almost every travel day.

That might have played a role in my Exide results (most about 2 years) … 10 miles of beat up dirt road to/from camp …
(20) and Texas heat …
Probably a difficult thing to measure in advance of purchase …

It is still up in the air for me. A little research tells me that the Exide 31 XHE @ $100 is 55# while the Everstart 65 @ $94 is only 44#. Wouldn't $6 be worth the extra 11# of lead? Heavier plates is good I've been told.

Maybe not. Often they are packing more plates in that are thinner and more closely spaced together when the CCA goes up in similar sized battery dimensions. In this case, however, the Exide 31 XHE is a heavy duty commercial battery that "should" have beefier construction.

It seems that the Exide meets both your requirements for cheap and heavy construction. At BITOG, it seems the consensus is that DEKA/East Penn is the best battery on the market currently, then Johnson Controls, and last is Exide. But, you know how opinions go.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself

Maybe not. Often they are packing more plates in that are thinner and more closely spaced together when the CCA goes up in similar sized battery dimensions. In this case, however, the Exide 31 XHE is a heavy duty commercial battery that "should" have beefier construction.

It seems that the Exide meets both your requirements for cheap and heavy construction. At BITOG, it seems the consensus is that DEKA/East Penn is the best battery on the market currently, then Johnson Controls, and last is Exide. But, you know how opinions go.

Isn't it a big balancing act for longevity vs cold temperature performance? Sears used to sell North and South versions. I'm wondering how anyone handles temperature extremes in place like (for example) Nebraska with hot summers and cold winters.

Most are talking about the big American manufacturers, but it might be possible to get some Japanese batteries. Does Yuasa still sell car batteries in the US? Maybe Panasonic. I don't recall exactly who made the battery for my WRX, but it was made in Japan.

I'm less concerned by temperature concerns as I keep a Battery Minder on it when parked. I could get by with 600CCA if the battery would survive the punishment of our ruined roads in this country. Even my house batteries (AGMs) seem to suffer from the pounding and I'm not sure that when they die I'll replace with same.
I need to buy a battery that I can buy & replace locally also, so some aren't even available to me. No big city outlets here.

I need to buy a battery that I can buy & replace locally also, so some aren't even available to me. No big city outlets here.

When it came time to replace the battery in my wife's Civic (a Group 51) I found the cheapest option was a Deka sold by Lowe's. They didn't sell them in stores but I had to order for pickup or delivery from each store. Local delivery was $70. I guess UPS or FedEx won't ship them.

I kind of like the prices at Lowe's but for myself their locations aren't anywhere near home. It's just kind of weird since there are plenty of locations near me for their biggest competitor (Home Depot) but Lowe's doesn't have a location within 22 miles of me. Lowe's also has a very limited selection. Only a couple of them were car batteries, and they were listed as "farm equipment batteries". It was also a big pain since they wouldn't take my old battery to get my core deposit back. I had to send a message to corporate, and the manager contacted me and said that they refunded it back and I should find a place to recycle it.

My nearest Lowes is 80mi. As a Vet I won't buy from HD even IF I had one in my back yard.
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

When it came time to replace the battery in my wife's Civic (a Group 51) I found the cheapest option was a Deka sold by Lowe's. They didn't sell them in stores but I had to order for pickup or delivery from each store. Local delivery was $70. I guess UPS or FedEx won't ship them.

I kind of like the prices at Lowe's but for myself their locations aren't anywhere near home. It's just kind of weird since there are plenty of locations near me for their biggest competitor (Home Depot) but Lowe's doesn't have a location within 22 miles of me. Lowe's also has a very limited selection. Only a couple of them were car batteries, and they were listed as "farm equipment batteries". It was also a big pain since they wouldn't take my old battery to get my core deposit back. I had to send a message to corporate, and the manager contacted me and said that they refunded it back and I should find a place to recycle it.

To put this to rest, I bought a battery today as we went to town. Tractor Supply had the Exide and the Exide delivery guy was there when I walked in. He was most helpful, and saved me $30 on a Grp 65. It turns out the 65s is the exact same battery as the 65 x but with only 30 mo warrantee instead of 40mo. So I got the premium battery for $100. Time will tell......

Does anyone know how many lines of different qualities each of the big battery makers produce? We know that Johnson Controls makes batteries for Costco, Walmart, Interstate, many others. Are there quality differences in the marketing lines, or are there just label differences? The same quality question applies for the other biggie, Exide. Johnson's Optima is different. Does Exide sell their spiral Orbital in the U.S.

I think for very rough conditions, the Optima (red top), maybe the Orbital, or the Odyssey might be worth the money.

There are the small makers, East Penn (Deka) and EnerSys (Odyssey). Are there other small battery makers in the U.S.?

get a Everstart MAXX at Walmart. Forget the Exide.

Or an Interstate at an Interstate dealer.

X2 especially if warranty is important.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back