Toro engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a bad lower back and was at home depot the other day and saw a Toro mower called a my ride. It has the seat and foot rest on shocks. That's something that I'm sure would help me but the engine is a Toro brand made in China. I'm not to keen on that, but I may be forced to buy one because of my back. Any of you guys have any experience with Toro built engines? The rest of the mower looks built like a tank.

I just bought a Timecutter 4225. But found a 2017 model new with the Kohler 7000 series engine made in Kohler, WI. Call around to local dealers and see what they have. Toro Days are going on right now for a few more days, too, until May 2.

I was at a Toro dealer last year that had a self propelled mower that is self propelled going forwards and backwards!
It had a Toro brand engine on it. The quality appeared higher than any Briggs & Stratton I've seen. It had a cast aluminum valve cover, a metal carb float bowl with a drain bolt and a better looking governor. I was intrigued and me having waaaay too much time on my hands had to know more.
Loncin makes the Toro branded engines. Interestingly, Loncin made many of the engines for the BMW G650GS motorcycle assembled in Germany.
If the engine jug and cylinder head is black, it's made by Loncin. Not everything from china is junk.

I have a toro branded engine on my toro mower and so far it has performed flawlessly and uses no oil.

I've serviced a few of the Toro Snowmaster snowthrowers with the "toro engines" and they run fine. They are much less finicky than the old Tecumsehs. They seem very similar to the Harbor Freight Predators (Honda clones).

I bought a brand new Toro Timecutter SS4200 last year. The Toro chinese engine is standard and a more powerful and more expensive Kohler engine was optional.

When I asked about the engine upgrade, the dealer I bought it from mentions that warranty is the same no matter which engine you choose, parts are equally easy to get and they haven't seen more problems over the last few years on one engine or the other.

He told me that unless I regularly tow something behind the mower or have a pronounced grade on my property, paying extra on the Kohler engine would be a waste of money. He told me that 9 out of 10 Timecutters they sell has the default Toro engine and most of the 10% selecting the Kohler engine are older guys fearing the quality of the default engine and selecting an engine brand they already know. It's not out of need.

Chinese engines are as good as the contractor specifies.
Honda has engine and engine parts made in China, to their
specs. No problems with those items.

If Toro demands a quality product, that is what they get.

My 2¢

I don't doubt the Chinese engines are very good. We've worked on a bunch of newer Kohler v twin tractor engines and they're not on par with the reputation of the Magnum or K-series. I would actually pick the chinese over the Kohler. I could relate some really terrible stories of tractors we've repaired with big Kohler v twins in the 26HP range. I saw someone on here say that they're called Courage engines because you needed courage to buy one. I couldn't agree more.
Funny story, .. There's a couple that have us do their work on garden tractors. They are, without a doubt, the hardest people on OPE you will ever run into. True story, it took them a bit over 3 years to completely destroy a JD 318 w/18hp Onan (one of, it not THE most bullet proof machine made). A 26hp kohler powered Husqvarna commercial garden tractor didn't even make it through one mowing season, before they smoked the motor. Needless to say, there's not much work we can do most of the time. Both had puked motors from abuse and buildup of debri in cooling fins and ducts.

Originally Posted By: bchannell
I don't doubt the Chinese engines are very good. We've worked on a bunch of newer Kohler v twin tractor engines and they're not on par with the reputation of the Magnum or K-series. I would actually pick the chinese over the Kohler. I could relate some really terrible stories of tractors we've repaired with big Kohler v twins in the 26HP range. I saw someone on here say that they're called Courage engines because you needed courage to buy one. I couldn't agree more.
Funny story, .. There's a couple that have us do their work on garden tractors. They are, without a doubt, the hardest people on OPE you will ever run into. True story, it took them a bit over 3 years to completely destroy a JD 318 w/18hp Onan (one of, it not THE most bullet proof machine made). A 26hp kohler powered Husqvarna commercial garden tractor didn't even make it through one mowing season, before they smoked the motor. Needless to say, there's not much work we can do most of the time. Both had puked motors from abuse and buildup of debri in cooling fins and ducts.

When I bought mine the dealer told me Kohler had some problems with the Courage engines, but the 7000 series have been rock solid both from what he has seen and what the Kohler rep told him a week prior. I think the 7000 series have been out about 3 years. He had lawnmowers with both Kohler and Toro engines in stock so he had no reason to be untruthful. He actually would have made more money by selling me the 2018 with Toro engine.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Chinese engines are as good as the contractor specifies.
Honda has engine and engine parts made in China, to their
specs. No problems with those items.

If Toro demands a quality product, that is what they get.

My 2¢

This.

Modern chinese manufacturers offer varying levels of price and quality, and are equally capable of making great and bad products, by spec and pricepoint.

I bought a Toro super recycler this winter with a Toro motor. I’ve used it for a total of three hours so far. Not a huge amount, nor a large sample size, but it’s been flawless so far.

I had the same reservations when I was going to upgrade to the Super Recycler to replace a Recycler with a 6.75 B&S. When i researched the new Toro 159cc I ran across several sites that said it had a cast iron sleeve vs aluminum bore and dual ball bearings vs aluminum bushings and triple piston rings.

Even though last year my tank was leaking gas which they eventually replace the whole engine under warranty I wouldn't hesitate buying another one with the Toro engine.

The one thing I will mention is that if you can find one with a Honda or Briggs I would take that over the Chinese engines.

While the Chinese engines are fine you can definitely tell the quality difference if you have to work on them. I was working on a walk behind edger last night with a Chinese 3.5FT-LB engine. The bolts were really hard to access for certain things, and the bolts holding the recoil on were torqued to about 1000 ft-lbs. I ended up stripping one of the bolt heads because it was on so tight.

Just something to think about.

Ok I bought the Toro timecutter with 50 inch deck and myride suspension platform. Love it! Have only mowed 3 or 4 hours but it rides so much smoother than any zero turn I have ever ridden. The Toro motor had great reviews and even a comparison to other motors on YouTube. It looks like a superior motor to the kolar. Satisfied with my purchase.

Last edited:
It’s a matter of time before we get to recognize Chinese manufacturers. It was the same way with Japanese manufacturers. Anyone remember Toyota, Honda, Acura? It started in Japan in 1970, South Korea in about 1980, ( Hyundai) and it started in China in about 1990. One of the first Chinese made cars that has hit the shores in America is now available. It’s a Buick.

Last edited:
Searching for filters on my new MyRide TimeCutter HD, bumped into this thread and decided to read it.
IMHO: Not impressed with the Toro engine on mine, and read one other gripe to the same effect:
Poor throttle response.
Does not idle well at low rpm.
spits, backfires (with under 10 hours)
Runs well only at 3/4 to full throttle.

In my area its 10% Ethanol, so I think that may have some to do with it.
Overall I do like the mower, suspension is unique, seems to work well. Cuts great....but not too impressed with the motor after 10 hours.

now....to cross ref the filter.....

I guess I could just Hijack this thread, not sure if another is worthy:

Brand new 2018 Toro Timecutter HD, 22.5 (708cc) HP Toro Branded engine.
10 hours time to change the filter.
No name currently on it, stamped 7m-19.
Internet says Toro 136-7848.
I think that crosses to a Sten 120-634?
and I think that crosses to a Fram ph 4967
So all these things take the 4967 filter safe to say?
What is everyone running in these mowers?
Has Fram changed their ways in the past 10 years?
Around here way back when they were referred to as the "orange can of death"

Thanks for any input.

Originally Posted By: PaulR3
Searching for filters on my new MyRide TimeCutter HD, bumped into this thread and decided to read it.
IMHO: Not impressed with the Toro engine on mine, and read one other gripe to the same effect:
Poor throttle response.
Does not idle well at low rpm.
spits, backfires (with under 10 hours)
Runs well only at 3/4 to full throttle.

In my area its 10% Ethanol, so I think that may have some to do with it.

Clogged lines in the carburetor......you have 1 line for idling....one for WOT rpms....and third for in between....

Put your carburetor in the ultrasound cleaner (or whatever you call that over there
smile.gif
)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back