hy-per lube zinc replacement additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: John_Conrad
Thanks molakule for the info.

the 400 has been rebuilt

Then my suggestion is to run Amsoil Break-In oil

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/motor-oil/gasoline/break-in-oil-(sae-30)/?code=BRKQT-EA

for 500 miles and then change to a good 10W40 mineral oil like PYB or Mobil 5000, unless modern seals have been installed and if that is the case you could run a Blend or even synthetic

For the type of driving it will see, I don't see synthetic as an economic lube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Being a polymer ester it is very miscible which means goes into suspension and stays there.

It does not appreciably affect the oil's viscosity at cold temps.

Here is a way to show yourself this works. Put about 2.5 oz. of Hyperlube in a quart of 5W30 oil. Bring it inside and mix it. Set it ouside and compare it to a non-additized quart of 5W30 oil, same manf.

Tell us what you see.

I may try this. I have some gsud in clear bottles. Now i know that in older posts you have suggested that with schaeffers 132, you only need 5 or so ounces as an antiwear. How much of this is necessary? They suggest a quart with 4-5 quarts.

I tried this, i cant see any obvious viscosity by shaking etc. IT appeared the air bubbles moved the same when shaken, i can't see a difference. What did i miss? Or is that the point?

Last edited:
I put both bottles in the freezer to -8 degrees f. Still i see no difference in how the oil moves , holds bubbles or how the oil film moves back down the bottle.

I put both bottles in the freezer to -8 degrees f. Still i see no difference in how the oil moves , holds bubbles or how the oil film moves back down the bottle.

Quote:
I tried this, i cant see any obvious viscosity by shaking etc.

Did you mix the HyperLube Zinc replacement with QSUD and then put it in a freezer?

You lost me in your sequence of events and what you used.

Would the HyperLube Zinc-replacement stuff compete with the other AW additives in a fully formulated oil (i.e., Mobil1)? I noticed some researchers said you can't just add Ionic Lubricants (ILs) to fully formulated motor oil, as it competes for the surface with what normal motor oils already have. Can we assume Hyperlube is not going to work based on the experience with IL ?

Quote:

Did you mix the HyperLube Zinc replacement with QSUD and then put it in a freezer?

I took a bottle of qsud and took out 2.5 oz of oil, added 2.5 of the zinc replacement. I shook it well , no noticeable difference. I set it on my porch overnight with another unopened bottle of gsud (20f overnight. I could not see a real difference, so i then put both bottles in the freezer for several hours at say -8. I took them out, shook them looked at how the oil moved, ran down the neck of the bottle, looked at how the air bubbles moved through the cold oil when shaken. Not sure what i should have seen but i could not really tell a difference. Did i use enough of the additive? This oil is going in my saturn tomorrow btw.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails
Would the HyperLube Zinc-replacement stuff compete with the other AW additives in a fully formulated oil (i.e., Mobil1)? I noticed some researchers said you can't just add Ionic Lubricants (ILs) to fully formulated motor oil, as it competes for the surface with what normal motor oils already have. Can we assume Hyperlube is not going to work based on the experience with IL ?

The HyperLube in question is not an Ionic Liquid and does not compete with other AW additives but is synergistic.

Quote:

I took a bottle of qsud and took out 2.5 oz of oil, added 2.5 of the zinc replacement. I shook it well , no noticeable difference. I set it on my porch overnight with another unopened bottle of gsud (20f overnight. I could not see a real difference, so i then put both bottles in the freezer for several hours at say -8. I took them out, shook them looked at how the oil moved, ran down the neck of the bottle, looked at how the air bubbles moved through the cold oil when shaken. Not sure what i should have seen but i could not really tell a difference. Did i use enough of the additive? This oil is going in my saturn tomorrow btw.

Okay, gotcha.

You should see little difference between the unadditized oil and the additized oil in terms of low temp viscosity, which appears to prove what I said earlier.

Would this test be better with a conventional oil rather than a synthetic?

It should not matter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CrawfishTails

The HyperLube in question is not an Ionic Liquid and does not compete with other AW additives but is synergistic.

OK, sounds like HyperLube no-zinc formula (ester) is the real deal. No way to tell once I put it in the oil, as my butt-dyno is only sensitive to anything above 2.8 on the Richter scale. I'll use MolaKules recomendation of 1 oz per quart motor oil, since any decent oil already has the SN limit of zddp there.

Last edited:
I doubt there will be any "butt-dyno" effects on the Richter scale
smile.gif
as it is not a friction modifier but an additional anti-wear additive.

For the daily driver using a good OTC oil, I see no reason to use it.

If you are concerned about wear during tracking, it may help reduce wear.

But if I were tracking, I think I would use a high ZDDP oil similar to Amsoil's Z-Rod or Dominator racing oils.

The only reason I discuss this at all is because I have used a similar chemistry in a low-vis formulation with 300 ppm of ZDDP and a polymer chemistry, and wear results were good.

Last edited:
If we believe Hyperlube's own cam wear tables, this stuff can boost wear performance. MolaKule's good experience and some articles I read seem to corroborate the good effects. I'm looking for anything to reduce wear over what dexos1, MB 229.5, etc. already requires.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Are there any similar products that are at a better price point?

Not at this time.

The polymer ester is expensive.

Did we ever get to the bottom of if this stuff and Schaefer 132 have similar chemistry and concept of use/protection?

I found a good number of 132 bottles in my garage. Might start dosing it into my 20wt oils...

HyperLube Zinc Replacement is a pure polymer ester, nothing else.

Schaeffer's #132 is mostly an oil thickener (VII) with some ester mixed in and these components:

Moly 25
Phosphorus 120
Zinc 10
Antimony 64

Vi @ 100c 220

It is used primarily in diesel and gasoline engines with worn rings and worn valve stem seals, AKA, "smokers."

Schaeffer's #132 is mostly an oil thickener (VII) with some ester mixed in and these components:

Moly 25
Phosphorus 120
Zinc 10
Antimony 64

Vi @ 100c 220

It is used primarily in diesel and gasoline engines with worn rings and worn valve stem seals, AKA, "smokers."

Will a full bottle added to M1 or PP 5w30 push it to a 40 grade? Thanks.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Will a full bottle added to M1 or PP 5w30 push it to a 40 grade? Thanks.

Schaeffer's #132 Moly EP certainly will take a 5w30 to a 5w40 or 10w40, easily with 16 oz in 1 bottle (assume 5 qt sump).
HyperLube ZRA has a KV100 of about 37, if I converted the MSDS's dynamic visc at 100 correctly to kinematic visc; Therefore, you get a +1 cSt boost from HyperLube ZRA at 12 oz in a 5qt sump, so it does not quite make it to a 40 weight.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back