Magnetic oil drain plugs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody use them?
Maybe I'm using the search function wrong, but I can't find any reference to them in the forums.

DIM_drain_md.jpg

Lots of industrial engines had magnetic drain plugs where I worked. the engines didn't last any longer than the engines with out magnetic drain plugs though. Reasonable interval oil changes are all that is needed for along engine life. Magnetic drain plugs can't hurt.

No, no drain plugs

I put them here instead:

Originally Posted By: Linctex

Magnets are 8mm N50 neodymium

Originally Posted By: CT8
Magnetic drain plugs can't hurt.

Unless they do, of course.

AFAIK, nobody knows.

I use it. Compared to the image above, it looks cleaner at 5-6k. It's my daily driver and rarely floor it.

I am sure that it will not collect all wear metals, maybe some iron, that's all.

I have one on every fill and drain plug. Everything that doesn't have a plug gets it on the dipstick.

I use dimple drain plugs. You can check out the company on a search. Type in dimple drain plugs I believe their website is a dimple drain plugs.com. I use it on my on a 2013 Tacoma excellent and you can get rid of an allen wrench set up if your vehicle already has that these all are wrench sizes and it can use standard box wrenches
TOMB

Last edited:
Typically the oil filter should catch the metallic and non-metallic particles ...

They are used for differential or transfer case when there is no filter.

There is a possibility the drain plug may not match your OEM exactly (i.e. develop minors leaks) and the magnet can come loose. just saying there is a chance ... I have heard of oil leaks from friends but don't have a personal experience with magnet coming loose.

also have read the metallic parts that are now magnetized and attached together and to the magnet can separate from the magnet like a little ball and cause issues. This I am not sure since I have read it on the internet ...
grin.gif

edit:
also the drain plug with magnet maybe a little weaker since it is? hollowed out to insert the magnet ...
over time and with torque it may weaken and another potential for leak. engine oil is changed more frequently than diff oil ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ducked

AFAIK, nobody knows.
They didn't hurt any of the engines that had magnetic drain plugs.

Yep, use them in all my vehicles. They do catch ferrous material that the filter can't catch.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Yep, use them in all my vehicles. They do catch ferrous material that the filter can't catch.

if the ferrous material are big enough to see how can they go through filter?
just curious since I had debated about using them in the past but never did ...
I am open to change my mind
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ducked

AFAIK, nobody knows.
They didn't hurt any of the engines that had magnetic drain plugs.

Didn't say they did.

I said that as far as I know, no one knows.

And as far as I know, you don't either.

I have one. I also have a magnetic dipstick which I think makes a whole lot more sense.

That must be why they don't, AFAIK, exist, and I had to make it myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OilUzer

smile.gif

The material caught on the magnetic plugs I've used is like a glob of dark "paste". The particles are so small you can't even tell one particle from another in the glob. It's super fine particles probably way below 20 microns. Here's a few photos, both after about a 5K mile oil change.

Plug at 5K miles ... break-in period.

Plug at 45K miles ... a lot less material after full break-in.

Originally Posted By: OilUzer

smile.gif

Particles stick together and the aggregate is visible.

Plus, theoretically, a bigger particle could be intercepted before it gets to the filter, though the chances of that are probably very low.

The BMC fwd engines had a magentic drain plug - we would often find a gear tooth on the end. I have a Yamaha engine, there was a gearbox dog on the drain plug. Sometimes they show you problems you'd rather not know about....

I may have to re-open the investigation or put in at the bottom of my research to do list ... lol
never researched the dipstick magnet.

Originally Posted By: Silk
The BMC fwd engines had a magentic drain plug - we would often find a gear tooth on the end. I have a Yamaha engine, there was a gearbox dog on the drain plug. Sometimes they show you problems you'd rather not know about....

Yeh. One oil for engine and gearbox. Eeew!

I drained the gearbox oil on my BMC B series 1800 (RWD so seperate) and a multi-coloured metallic soup came out, garnished with a sprinkling of needle rollers.

It settled out in a coke bottle to alternate bronze and black bands, I think 5 of them, 4 forward, one reverse. Weird coincidence.

I think a magnetic plug might have been a bit overloaded, plus it might have spoiled the pattern.

I replaced it with clean gear oil (though it did seem a bit of a waste) and it continued to shift perfectly smoothly until a rear spring hangar broke and no longer having the use of welding gear, I sold it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back