How often do you "floor" your vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I was young and in my hot rod years it was often. Now in my older years I try not to stress my vehicles or waste gas. So now I would be surprised if I floor it once every couple months.

I still do pretty often. I don't think it matters that much, not on my driving cycle--one flooring per outing is one flooring per 50 miles. Only do it once or twice a week and it is drowned out by all the miles of low stress highway driving.

Also with base engines it's usually not that stressful to the rest of the driveline, not unless if you get wheel spin that suddenly grabs.

It depends on how much power is available. The weaker the engine, the more flooring will ensue.
smile.gif

If I do floor it, it's when the engine has been running a minimum of 15 minutes, so that everything is fully warmed up.

And I'll admit to flooring the MB once in a while...It's just too much fun to feel the rush when the turbos spool up on the V-12...

The issue with flooring anything but my 81 240D (67 hp), is that it's generally too easy to be in an illegal situation.

I'm sure WOT is "healthy" to some extent. I try to at least do some hard acceleration when all is up to temperature.

But even in the minivan, and even from starting slow on a long onramp to an interstate, it's easy to be way over the speed limit. So it lasts a few seconds if you allow the upshift, marginally longer if you force a gear.

Not too often, no need to, and with Long Island traffic the opportunity to floor it doesn't present itself much.

Truck will be on the floor from time to time when towing a steep/long grade

Malibu few times a month

Trans Am generally when I get it out of the garage it will see WOT at least once a trip.

The Caprice a couple of time a week getting on the highway on the way to work.

Once engine is warmed up in my Camaro any chance I get
laugh.gif
(on ramps..etc)

Jeep not to much but it gets revved out a lot just because its 4000lbs and 190hp

Not too often on the street, maybe once a week in the Focus, mostly just to stay in practice for shifting for autocross.
During autocross season it gets run WO, and bounced off the rev limiter a bunch, but most engines are pretty bullet proof and I've never had a problem.
I worry more about auto transmissions when running WO, than the motor, but these days they are pretty good at protecting themselves too.

About a half dozen times a day to pass "adults" whom can not drive a constant speed on the highway. This is often due to the offender using there phone and attempting to steer with forearms.

Not as often as I did when I was younger, but now and then to keep the carbon blown out. Maybe not needed with the modern engines, but it is a good excuse. Of course I only have one "modern" engine.

Every once in a while, it's not harmful as long as :
1 - Engine is warmed up
2 - You get there progressively ( meaning, that you don't just stomp on the gas from idle )

Another thing i like to do is sometimes drive on the highway in an intentionally low gear to rev the engine more than usual, and keep the engine at 4-5k for 10-15 minutes.
From my experience my engines always run smoother after that.

For the Maxima: 2x per month, and only if fully warmed up - which with the Winter that just ended (we hope
eek.gif
) was not that often.

My wife's Rogue: never yet - still only 2700km on the car.

Flex: 4x per year when I am merging onto HWY 11 at Bracebridge area of Ontario as we drive to the cottage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back