2005 Dodge Neon sxt routine maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a 2005 Dodge neon with 77,000 miles. The car is nice but has a low slightly rough idle. Drives great and has good pick up. What do any mechanics think. Plugs wires anything else?

Clean the throttle body, replace all the filters, PCV valve. Start thinking about doing the T-belt in the next year or so. Only use ATF+4 in the tranny.

Air filter, spark plugs, clean the idle air control valve. We don't have to tell you to change the oil. You could disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, this may reset the computer and find a better idle speed. Check transmission fluid level.

I had a base 2005 Neon and the tranny gave up at 120K.The car wasn't worth a new transmission.
Tranny maintenance should be high on your list if its an automatic.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Maybe the 2005's still had copper plugs? My 95 did, and I never did replace the plug wires.
they did. When I had mine I replaced the wires @60k mi, b/c the maintenance schedule said to... Copper plugs due every 30k mi.

The copper plugs are supposed to be replaced at 30K, but my son ran a set to 94K miles before the truck started running bad LOL. I thought they were long mileage plugs like GM used but I was wrong.

I would change...
Plugs and wires(If wires look worn/corroded). Champion copper are most popular for neon.
PCV valve and air filter.
Trans fluid with ATF4 and a new filter.

yes, use champ plugs, not some iridium or platinum, clean the TB, if doing the 41TE, use a Mopar filter, REdline C+ is an excellent fluid, also the PSfluid should be serviced same ATF, coolant is Zerex G5

these cars LCA suck, use Moog problem solvers if you have to do the bushings.

The 2.4 run great.

Low idle could be a dirty MAF if it uses one. Watch your coolant level; the head gaskets aren't great on these.

For the spark plugs, I'd use NGK G-Power or Denso Platinum TT. Pair them with NGK wires, which are are a snazzy blue color, and they are numbered
smile.gif

Redline C+ is the best ATF to use in out-of-warranty ATF+4 applications. It uses the same Lubrizol add pack as licensed ATF+4, but with a Group V ester base stock. If that transmission doesn't have a drain plug, get the Dorman pan that does have one; this will make future ATF changes much easier.

Is the CEL on?

not a mechanic, but worked for Chrysler and quite a few Neons in my family over the years. I'd check for engine codes first. plugs are easy to pull and inspect. lift the hood at night and check for wires leaking, sparks will be running up and down. lots of videos on youtube for different repairs.

If timing belt/water pump hasn't been changed, I always did that at 100,00 or so. It's an interference engine and major problems if it breaks. Motor mounts are prone to wear out/ break. had tranny go out on one at about 200,000 mi. that's the only major issue I ever had.

for me they were great, cheap, reliable cars. I'd buy another in a hearbeat if I could find one not completely worn out. Oh yeah, clearcoat is pretty weak on some models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back