Drove a few hours just for food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the "MAID-Rite sandwich which I drive 140 miles for, when I visit my son in IOWA. I've be enjoying them for 65 years and never tire of them. Ed

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: dave123
I wouldn’t go if it was even out my back door.

2. It took 2 replies for the 'ew fast food' crowd to come flying in like a bunch of crows.

Love fast food (in moderation, I.,e., once a month or so)

I know you weren’t quoting me, but I will add that: some local places have MUCH better food than fast food joints, AND they offer takeout. I usually crave Taco Bell when I want junk food, but it’s more of an impulse, I’ve done good and deserve this immediate gratification kinda thing. There’s a place nearby that has really tasty taquitos for a few bucks more than the equivalent amount of Taco Bell.

//

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Whataburger, Pensacola fl, since 1967, only 8 hrs from me,,,worth it,,well maybe the ocean to boot..lol

Save yourself the drive and go to Smashburger instead.
smile.gif

I honestly can’t remember where I was on travel to, but we stopped as a group at a smash burger. We were all tired and it really hit the spot! Pricier than Five Guys, from what I recall, but with premium condiments. I think I got a burger with mushrooms and truffle oil and some fancy cheese?

I would drive three miles for a Smash Burger over a Five Guys burger, but would go out of my way by 10-15 min if we were traveling near one.

I could be wrong, but the burger in the OP looks no better than what I could make at home with some angus ground beef, a little bit of spice and some sauce for extra flavor. I kinda feel the same way about steaks when I go out to regular places. I’d rather get something I wouldn’t normally have or be able to make at home when I go out.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Linctex
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tavern_sandwich

"The sandwich is now well known throughout the Midwestern United States, and is served not only in small, local establishments but also in franchise restaurant locations such as Dairy Queen and Maid-Rite.
The Wichita, Kansas-based chain Nu Way Cafe serves a version of the tavern/loose meat sandwich called a "Nu Way".[8] In Illinois, the sandwich is also known as a "loose hamburger sandwich".[9] In Iowa, it is sometimes referred to as a Maid-Rite."

This is too funny. I had only encountered the term previously in Garrison Keillor's delightful book Lake Wobegon Days. The passage in question reads something like this:

"So we left Phil's House of Good Food and walked across town to a diner and ate Maid-Rites, a sort of Sloppy Joe, for 15 cents each, but they did not agree with us, and we were aware of them throughout Young People's."

For what it's worth, I believe this scene was set in St Cloud, Minnesota.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Whataburger, Pensacola fl, since 1967, only 8 hrs from me,,,worth it,,well maybe the ocean to boot..lol

Driving from Tampa to La. we stopped at that WHATABURGER. Before we got to Mobile it was trying to exit. Need I say more.
I wouldn't mind trying one of these 100 year old grease burgers.
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/44635

Uh, it’s Mobil, AL.

13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back