Mobil 1 0W/20 AP, 7634 Miles, 2005 Civic 1.7 w PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Interesting, going to have to digest this a bit.

I believe this oil will do what Mobil says it will, while I’m going to be a little off reservation on the time, I’ve got enough confidence to give it the old college try. In order for the oil to demonstrate that it can go the distance (outside of Mobils data) someone has to try it. I still believe there has to be something going on with this oil that isn’t readily apparent in a consumer level UOA. Also without the TAN I bet no one would be saying change it...

You're likely right there but keep in mind, like I recently learned, just because the TBN is still showing good or high doesn't necessarily mean the oil is still good.
Like I learned, some TBN is better than others so just because the number is still high, it doesn't necessarily mean it is doing its job.
Basically, it boils down to the fact, that without the TAN number, the TBN number is basically useless.

Your UOA, which shows the TAN and TBN shows the TAN number above the TBN, which, imo, case in point, shows the TBN isn't necessarily doing a great job removing acids as it still shows a rather high number.

I'd think twice about extending/using this oil for anymore mileage than what you already have. Like others and myself have said, it is spent and should be changed out.

EDIT: the info/thread, which is a very good read.

"Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
Regarding TBN 'retention'...

There's a story that's frequently peddled around the industry, that expensive, over based metallic Salicylate detergents are better on TBN retention than commoner and cheaper over based Sulphonates & Phenates.

This may or may not be true but even if it is, I would dispute the fact that 'TBN retention' is a good thing. The primary purpose of this class of additive is to neutralise acids that build up in the oil and keep that neutralised 'stuff' suspended in the oil. If you have two oils of equal starting TBN and after x miles, under identical conditions, one oil has a lower TBN than the other, then in my book, it has done a BETTER job at zapping acidic species than the other oil.

Think about it! Compare a busy man with an idle, blobby couch-potato. The latter might point to how superior he is in terms of 'shoe leather retention' but it's not the most meaningful of boasts is it?

Thread with info within from Sonofjoe.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4699813/1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
BMW- and how does it measure viscosity if there's not flow through the sensing element?
Explained in http://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/226/dielectric-constant-oil-analysis , basically: electrical properties of the oil change with changes in chemistry of the used oil, including viscosity. I mentioned the BMW sensor for fun only. Not related to the Honda thing here really.

For non-BMW people, we can pull a sample of oil out (somehow; pain in the rear) and measure visc to condemn the aging oil.

So, the viscosity seems fine (it is actually in line with the VOAs) and other than the TAN there appears to be absolutely nothing wrong with this oil.

See also:

machinerylubrication.com - How to Interpret Oil Analysis Reports

Quote:
Similarly, some oils containing anti-wear or extreme-pressure additives that are mildly acidic can also provide false high or low readings due to additive depletion. Acid number values should be considered in concert with other factors such as additive health and water content.

Is AP one such oil?

Also one of the articles (can’t find it again) says that (paraphrasing) that TAN doesn’t measure how strong the acid is just that it is there - this is part of the argument that PH should be the method vs TBN-TAN.

I’ve e-mailed both Mobil and Blackstone to see what thoughts they may have.

So, the viscosity seems fine (it is actually in line with the VOAs) and other than the TAN there appears to be absolutely nothing wrong with this oil.

See also:

Quote:
Similarly, some oils containing anti-wear or extreme-pressure additives that are mildly acidic can also provide false high or low readings due to additive depletion. Acid number values should be considered in concert with other factors such as additive health and water content.

Is AP one such oil?

Also one of the articles (can’t find it again) says that (paraphrasing) that TAN doesn’t measure how strong the acid is just that it is there - this is part of the argument that PH should be the method vs TBN-TAN.

That's why a VOA is important, as some oils, the TAN starts off higher, and one needs to be cognizant of that when contrasting the TBN/TAN relationship.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

See also:

Quote:

Is AP one such oil?

That's why a VOA is important, as some oils, the TAN starts off higher, and one needs to be cognizant of that when contrasting the TBN/TAN relationship.

While I don’t disagree that a VOA (I believe btanchors VOA had TAN at 2.5) is one tool to use in the analysis, the use of “depletion” in the above quote suggest the relationship may not be a constant.

I'm frankly amazed at how bad the particle count is. My shared-sump motorcycle's PC showed an order of magnitude lower counts with that filter. It was only a 5,000 mile run, though. Perhaps that's a significant difference.

While I don’t disagree that a VOA (I believe btanchors VOA had TAN at 2.5) is one tool to use in the analysis, the use of “depletion” in the above quote suggest the relationship may not be a constant.

No, it may not be. In a case where you have a higher initial starting TAN due to formulation, how does one then define condemnation TBN? One would assume that the crossing point no longer holds merit and there has to be some relationship, so how does one determine it? I don't think you can go by the Blackstone "thumbs up" approach of "as long as it is above 1 you are good" either.

Overkill, I agree. All three examples in the Machinery Lubrication article show TAN exceeded TBN long before either OLM or UOA showed the oil was condemned (although what criteria for condemnation was used is unknown from the image alone). PIN levels seem to be a measurable precursor to oxidative thickening as a basis for condemnation, but this is obviously not a "standard" test for UOAs.

Sounds like we are at least thinking along the same lines.

According to my reading of some of the machinery lubrication articles it appears viscosity and PH (which almost no one measures that I am aware of) are two factors.

According to my reading of some of the machinery lubrication articles it appears viscosity and PH (which almost no one measures that I am aware of) are two factors.

Yeah, oxidation is one criteria that'll start to run away once the oil is "used up", however generally one wants to avoid that scenario, which is why TBN/TAN relationship has historically been of value and at least on of the main criteria to determine OCI length. One would question, and I'm sure it isn't, but if it was, as easy as just subtracting the starting TAN (if known) from the measured TAN to get a "true" TAN reading? LOL!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Yeah, oxidation is one criteria that'll start to run away once the oil is "used up", however generally one wants to avoid that scenario, which is why TBN/TAN relationship has historically been of value and at least on of the main criteria to determine OCI length. One would question, and I'm sure it isn't, but if it was, as easy as just subtracting the starting TAN (if known) from the measured TAN to get a "true" TAN reading? LOL!
lol.gif

No kidding, if only it was that simple.

If I hear back from Mobil or Blackstone I will summarize the replies for us.

RE the particle counts, I was more interested in the change in the PC’s than the actual counts, IE: does it get better as time goes on, or worse and is the relatively inefficient factory filter significantly different from the Ultra.

I suppose once I figure out what the deal with the TAN is, I also have to decide if I will continue to do these UOAs. Frankly I’m only doing it to add to the knowledge pool, but it is economically foolish. For instance if I do 3 on this sump and the price of both the analysis and AP remains constant I will have spent enough to change the oil six times with AP and my choice of filter, another 20,000 mile sump and that is a 12 oil changes with AP... It really doesn’t make good sense.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: dgunay
I wouldn't extend it, TAN is already higher than TBN.

Esters? M1 5W30 ESP that I tried in VW CC and Tiguan also showed high TAN.

Mobil1 5w-30 esp have a pretty low TBN too

RE the particle counts, I was more interested in the change in the PC’s than the actual counts, IE: does it get better as time goes on, or worse and is the relatively inefficient factory filter significantly different from the Ultra.

My 5k-mile PC was significantly better than the PC on the new fluid. I'm curious to see what you get for results.

Originally Posted By: bulwnkl

My 5k-mile PC was significantly better than the PC on the new fluid. I'm curious to see what you get for results.

It will be interesting.

I heard back from Blackstone who said, in essence, that there is not a great body of experience for TAN on engine oil and that it is much more common on hydraulic fluid and transmission oil. (which I knew and is borne out by the UOA’s here) They went on to say in light of the other readings (viscosity was mentioned) don’t worry about it. (That agrees with much of the Machinery Lubrication content and what OilFilmMovies is saying.)

I heard from Mobil and they asked for the UOA which I sent. (I was actually sort of impressed with the quickness of the reply)

I think for now I will continue with the plan to resample at 15,000 unless Mobil raises an alarm about the TAN.

I heard from Mobil and they asked for the UOA which I sent. (I was actually sort of impressed with the quickness of the reply)

I'd ask them back to send you some swag since they want for free the data about their product that you paid for. Can't hurt to ask, and if you never ask, they will likely never offer
smile.gif

I checked in with Mobil and the CS rep confirmed the UOAs and link to this tread came through but said Technical was still reviewing it.

Car is still running the oil of course.
grin.gif

So, Mobil says it is ok to continue running.

My questions have apparently tread into proprietary areas so the departments are discussing whether they can say more.

Well now.

I will post up the reports when ALS comes in, but @ about 10,500 the TAN is now 4.9 and the TBN 2.6...

Still no word back from Mobil (disappointing) one the ALS report comes in I’ll send them a reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back