Derogatory mark on credit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone,

I have a relatively recent negative mark on my credit report, but am not sure how to resolve it. Anyone have experience dealing with Charter Communications and/or "Wayresgrp"?

I believe this stems from a prior account I had with one of Charter Communications company's, Spectrum, in which I had a pre-established payment plan setup for. Apparently the original account was recalled, per the prior debt collector, but now I have no new information as to what happened to the account.

Do everything in writing. Call Equifax and get company info, and write them a letter and mail it certified. In the letter give them 30 days to respond with proof, in writing, or else they must remove the report from your credit report. If 30 days goes by without answer, or they respond without proof, mail a copy of your letter and their response to Equifax and ask them to remove the report. If the company responds with proof, tell them in another letter you will "pay in full for deletion" which means you pay the full amount same day you receive their affirmation in writing that they will delete the report for full payment. Otherwise, DO NOT talk to them on the phone, or even acknowledge your name if they call, or make ANY payment terms with them other than paid for deletion. Anything other than this you are agreeing to a new contract with them and they can take you to court over it.

Subie is mostly correct above in my experience.

It's usually easiest to deal directly with the company that you owe the money. If you work through Equifax it will take exponentially longer.

Get everything in writing.

I dealt with a medical bill I paid late but it was paid in full and should not have gone to collections. It took me about 3 months to get my credit report fixed.

And that was with for a clerical error that never should have been transferred to collections in the first place.

Get everything in writing and once it is paid off, demand a paid in full letter.

You want to contact WAYRESGRP and request that they provide "proof of debt". Look here:

https://www.thebalance.com/debt-validation-requires-collectors-to-prove-debts-exist-960594

There is a good chance they cannot provide it and will drop the collection item. If they cannot provide proof but you really owe Charter money, pay Charter so it does not come back again.

If they provide the proof offer to pay only if they agree in writing to totally remove the item, not just mark it paid.

Your only bargaining chip is paying, so do not give that up until you get it in writing that they will do what you want.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Your only bargaining chip is paying, so do not give that up until you get it in writing that they will do what you want.

What about settling for a lower mount? (hypothetically)

My neighbor is going through the same thing..... but she owes $3800

“My records show that bill has been paid in full a long time ago. Please provide proof of valid debt, or remove from my credit report immediately.”

Originally Posted By: Linctex

You can try offering less after you receive the proof of debt. But they may be less inclined to remove it entirely if you do not pay the full amount. But everything is negotiable.

They would probably list it as settled for an amount less than owed.

Did this during my divorce 15 years ago. A few creditors agreed half a loaf was better than none and took less than the balance due.
But it appears as such on your report and you have to report the written down debt at "income" of sorts as a forgiven debt.

So you pay income tax on the amount you don't have to pay back.

So it's a mixed bag. And it will probably appear on your credit report.

Originally Posted By: Linctex

You can try offering less after you receive the proof of debt. But they may be less inclined to remove it entirely if you do not pay the full amount. But everything is negotiable.

And remember that people in collection agencies are the bottom scum of the earth. True bottom feeders who will say anything to get you to pay.

If they call, say "I request you do not call me back and all future communication must be in writing". They are required to follow that and not call you. They are at their best on the phone, thus never talk to them on the phone.

"Original Creditor"
Charter already wrote the account off and sold it (in bulk, with other accounts) to a private debt collector at a reduced rate.

Perhaps you really owed, or perhaps not. Perhaps they let account vegetate only to hit you with exhorbitant back fees. I don't know, but I will tell you how this pyramid of parasitism works.

Debt collectors gamble with these accounts, they're not actually entitled to be paid- meaning if you don't pay the collector, you can't go to jail. They must have your acknowledgement and consent and will try to get it from you unwittingly. They will tempt you with bargains and reduced rates, but you're not entitles to PAY THEM. THEY ALREADY PURCHASED THE 'DEBT'. They're only gambling, because they purchase these accounts en masse and hope someone will pay them in full- but they're not entitled in the least to make good on their invenstment. When so called debtors pay in full, that amount is obviously more than they purchased the account for, so they actually make profits on people that pay in full. Of course not everyone pays at all, and once that collector deems the account not likely to be paid, they bundle it up along with the other unrecoverables and re-sell it wholesale to another debt collector at an even lower rate. The cycle continues almost indefinitely until they can no longer re-sell the debt. It's a gamble all the way down the pyramid. If the 7th or 8th collector, who undoubtedly bought the debt at pennies on the dollar, ever manages to actually secure a full payment, they would be making an enormous profit on that one account.

Basically, the moment Charter Communications wrote off the debt and sold it to a collection agency, they removed themselves from the picture and are made whole. The worst thing you can ever do is admit it's your debt to a collector (they're well trained in scripts to get you to admit it), it's literally like the 5th amendment "anything you say CAN AND WILL be used against you". Any correspondence resets the statue of limitations, not like they respect that anyway.

Bonus: For more Fun bedtime reading, take an interest in FIAT money systems backed by Private Reserve Banks. You'll discover that taking loans backed by your signature is how 'new' money is created, and that on taking those loans, nothing (no actual risk) is assumed by the creditor, as your loan is held against speculation (the future, not existing assets). It's an absolutely fantastic story that everyone should know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back