The Dwindling List of Manual Cars You Can Buy New

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. All my brothers and I have owned manual cars, none of the kids care in the least. But, someone will be very happy when I die and my estate sells my 500hp Camaro Convertible 6sp at a bargain basement price no doubt.

Last edited:
If I read it right, the Demon is only available in automatic?

I'm surprised to see no commercial trucks from the big 3 offered in manual, but I believe they killed manual full sized trucks a while ago.

Last edited:
Commercial trucks often have more than one driver. All it takes is one puppy who doesn't know how to shift and the workday comes to a grinding halt.

Manuals like having one master. I can see "them" canceling manuals after the demand goes below 5% (the number I read when Ford eliminated manuals in the F-150).

Limited selection aside, some of the new nanny technology that was introduced to manage emissions, such as rev hang, plus other evil contraptions such as CDV, took some of the fun out of driving a manual. I've driven manuals all my life, but my next car is going to be automatic.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Limited selection aside, some of the new nanny technology that was introduced to manage emissions, such as rev hang, plus other evil contraptions such as CDV, took some of the fun out of driving a manual. I've driven manuals all my life, but my next car is going to be automatic.

Yea, CDV took a lot of the fun out of side stepping the clutch.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Commercial trucks often have more than one driver. All it takes is one puppy who doesn't know how to shift and the workday comes to a grinding halt.

Manuals like having one master. I can see "them" canceling manuals after the demand goes below 5% (the number I read when Ford eliminated manuals in the F-150).

When I was buying a new 2002 F-150 I wanted a manual and I had to order it. I think with in a couple of years after that you could not get a manual in an f-150 anymore.

Whimsey

The last manual f150 I drove was back in the late 80s, the shifter was to stiff imho, but ok , but u could not speed shift it, and such.

My wife had a hard time finding a new 2015 Audi A4 in the color and option package she wanted with a stick.

Quattro Pete is right about the clutch delay valve and rev hang. I removed the CDV with a kit from ECS Tuning on my GTI.
Rev hang doesn't affect the cars in my sig, I think because they have the Federal emissions tune, not the PZEV tune.
I test drove a 2018 Subaru Impreza with a stick and the rev hang was awful. I'd rather have a CVT in that car.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-ecs-parts/6-speed-clutch-bleeder-block/001284ecs01kt/

The manual transmission in my (turbo) Honda S2000 is among the most enjoyable ever made, with quick, easy precise shifts. It's a true joy to drive that car like an idiot.

However, the current crop of performance automatic transmissions are clearly a step ahead in performance. With near instant shifts, zero mistakes and integration with the vehicle's other inputs, including steering input, G loads, brake activation and so on.

Even the base model 2018 Corvette conventional automatic is so responsive and quick, there is no reason to demand a manual. The 10 speed auto in the new Mustang is also, quite simply, better than the manual option.

I'm so old, I remember when GM proudly offered the "Powerglide" 2 speed automatic. We would regularly hope it would shift into third! But those days are half a century behind us now. Today, a performance automatic is the right choice.

Originally Posted By: TinyVoices
I don't know but this seems like a pretty wide selection of new cars with a manual.

Especially for the North American market!

There was a day in the not too distant past when sticks were common and being able to drive one was considered a desirable skill.
You could walk into any Honda store twenty years ago and have your choice of five speed Accords and Civics, which is what we did when we bought our '99 Accord.
Walk into a Honda store today and they won't have any manual cars at all. I don't even know whether Honda still offers any in this market.
Tastes change and the market has spoken loudly and so manuals have gone the way of carburetors.
A pity that within a generation or so the fun of driving a stick will be no more than the musings of old men.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The manual transmission in my (turbo) Honda S2000 is among the most enjoyable ever made, with quick, easy precise shifts. It's a true joy to drive that car like an idiot.

However, the current crop of performance automatic transmissions are clearly a step ahead in performance. With near instant shifts, zero mistakes and integration with the vehicle's other inputs, including steering input, G loads, brake activation and so on.

Even the base model 2018 Corvette conventional automatic is so responsive and quick, there is no reason to demand a manual. The 10 speed auto in the new Mustang is also, quite simply, better than the manual option.

I'm so old, I remember when GM proudly offered the "Powerglide" 2 speed automatic. We would regularly hope it would shift into third! But those days are half a century behind us now. Today, a performance automatic is the right choice.

I remember the "Powerslip" 2 speed auto, had it in a 1961 Impala
lol.gif

Whimsey

with new cars being costly + 4 wd trucks cost out of the question $$$ i but preowned + only manual shifters for me!!

Still way too many on that list IMO.

My last manual in a consumer type vehicle was my Subaru XV Crosstrek w/ 5spd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back