John Deere 30 second easy change oil system

Was at Home Depot yesterday, looked under the hood of a 100 series John Deere mower. It had the "John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System" installed, which means you just change the filter every 50 hours. The new filter comes with oil pre-installed, so you just change the oil filter every 50 hours. Likely never changes all of the oil, and just tops up the oil additives. According to the FAQ, you can still drain all the oil via the drain if you want to, but its not necessary.

More info, pictures, and a movie at the website.

https://www.deere.com/en/mowers/lawn-tra...0d-c6c00e6550d4

From the website-

"Draining engine oil is so 2017.

The engine modifications and new technologies are in. The re-envisioned oil filter with a media designed to resist breaking down in oil over time is here. The thousands of hours of testing are done. The end result is an all-in-one, oil and oil filter system like no other. The first of its kind. And thanks to the new John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System (“System”), you’ll never have to drain the oil from 100 Series Riding Lawn Tractors1 again.

Here’s why: The new System captures contaminants and recharges your engine with nearly a quart (0.8qt) (0.76 l) of new oil. In fact, this System increases the amount of oil in the engine by nearly 40%.2 Your engine likes that.

What do you mean, I will never have to drain oil from my engine again? How is that possible? The answer is simple. We have developed a better filtration system and filter design for our 100 Series Riding Lawn Tractors1. This fully synthetic filter media has greater surface area which increases its capacity to hold harmful contaminants. What’s more, the filter media is designed to resist breaking down in oil over time. Which means you’ll get a cooler running engine. And a cooler running engine and better filtering helps increase engine oil life. John Deere's recommended oil service for 100 Series Riding Lawn Tractors1, is to change the System every 50 hours or once a season, whichever comes first. Remember, the System replaces a portion of your engine oil. And that's plenty.

The System uses John Deere Turf-Gard™ Oil. Using John Deere Turf-Gard™ Oil ensures you are using the exact oil specified by John Deere engineers.

Testing. Testing. Testing. Thanks to thousands of hours of rigorous and extensive testing, you can feel confident your engine will run for years to come.

1The John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System is available on E120, E130, E150, E160, E170 and E180 Lawn Tractors today.

2Compared to similar V-Twin engine models that do not have the John Deere Easy Change™ 30-Second Oil Change System. That includes equivalent Deere 2017 models and 2018 models without the System.
Frequently Asked Questions:

What is new with John Deere Riding Lawn Equipment?

We are excited about the exclusive John Deere Easy Change™ 30 second oil change system. Exclusive to John Deere and only available on certain models of the new 100 Series Lawn Tractors. These tractors are designed for ease of use for both operation and maintenance. The John Deere Easy Change™ System (“Easy Change”) allows the user to easily complete the recommended engine oil and filter maintenance in 30 seconds."

johndeereeasychan-1518625615781-18-hr-1521658192.jpg

If it is a fleetguard venturi type filter with a bit of oil in it, it just might to the trick.

That's very very clever.

Way better than Castrol's oil box under the hood thing (which they may or may not have "borrowed"

Instead of buying into JD's expensive $50 OC, how about the following: buy a Fram Ultra and change the oil every mowing season for the next 16 years.
There is a posting of a synthetic Fram XG3614 installed next to a high temp area and he opened the filter after 14.5K miles. It looked good and the silicone anti-drain valve remained pliable and it didn't leak like other previous oil filters. OPE air-cooled engines operate under similar rigorous situations. In my car, I avg 37 mi/hr which translates into approximately 400 hrs. or 16 mowing season years.

To do the JD method on current lawn mowers is to drain and fill with for 1.5qts for the next 16 years. To change a synthetic oil filter every season ( in my case 25 hours) is not only wasteful but unnecessary contributes to land-fill waste. Some people complain that you are leaving behind 0.5 qts of dirty oil, but I am sure JD 30sec OC is leaving at leasr 2 qts behind since the filter holds .8 qts and has a oil shut off valve to remove oil filter.

XG3614 cut-open

Last edited:
JD 30sec oil filter- $40

The funny thing is the anti JD 30 sec conversion kit is $24 and includes oil filter & 2 qts of oil.
Looks like the Mobil 1 annual oil change struck again.

A dumb idea.

The anti JD kit

Also it looks like the conversion kit does not change the oil pump which could be pumping at oil higher psi to accommodate the larger filter and may have unintended consequences on the standard JD oil filter which may go into by-pass pressure relief mode more easily.

Installation and special notice.

Last edited:
There's something everyone's missing or wasn't mentioned.....and that is.....

Ol consumed during the OCI! Checking a dipstick wasn't mentioned

The filter has oil in it...OK. Is it too much oil? Will excess oil burn off?

Isn't OPE oil characteristically black and sandy?

Something stinks here....or am I missing something

edit: I THINK I GET IT.
There's a valve in the filter. The oil is pumped about in regular service. When the engine is shut down the valve closes and whatever oil is in the filter is removed with it.
It's a "partial oil change system".
Do you trust the valving to work?
Do I have this right?

What was the problem with John Q. Public doing it the old way? Where's the benefit? Seems "too pretty" for me.

100-series are their big box consumer line.

I have to imagine this filter thing being their printer ink or razor blades, upon which they'll reap continuing profits after selling the initial product at cost.

I'd rather have a 3614 filter and a barrel of rotella.

Not to mention, I have to imagine most lawn tractor owners, even if intimidated by their cars, might try an oil change on their tractor so they can feel more manly. It's poor marketing to take this away. They're appliance-izing something they should be putting more visible fasteners on. The flip would be if they say you can just chuck this in the trash and not worry about finding somewhere to take your old oil.

I think it is marketing to the millennials who probably never actually did a DIY OC since dad took his car to the garage and couldn't be bothered for the oil change or had the time to show them.

It is the point and click or in this case twist and turn generation.

So sad that some think this is a wonderful feature.

Can I say JD marketing is promoting 'fake news oil changes'?

I will stick with my Rotella T5 10W-30 and Wix 51516...

$30 for Easy Change, verses $6 the old way....

Parts to remove Easy Change are $12...

A plus for those who would never change oil anyway. I have a JD L111 with a B&S 20HP twin and change oil T5 10w30 and a B&S filter, every 50 hours or about once every 2 years. Ed

The thing is for all these systems, is that engine design and packaging has the filter inverted on many OPE systems. So you always get a mess when you unscrew a standard filter. No way to pre-fill a standard filter as the oil would flow out.

So they solved the spillage issue and created a market for a $40 filter ...

OK, it might be a good marketing trick for them, but I'll do it like I always do, slobber and change the whole system. That's why my STX is still running 30 years later with clean golden oil (Chevron Supreme 10W-30) and nary a top-off used during mowing season
smile.gif

It's a nice concept for non-BITOG folk, especially once the '30-sec' oil filter price comes down or they allow Stens and whatnot to sell them.

I too prefer to slap an oversized x-referenced automotive filter on my OPE engines with filters.

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
The thing is for all these systems, is that engine design and packaging has the filter inverted on many OPE systems. So you always get a mess when you unscrew a standard filter. No way to pre-fill a standard filter as the oil would flow out.

So they solved the spillage issue and created a market for a $40 filter ...

OK, it might be a good marketing trick for them, but I'll do it like I always do, slobber and change the whole system. That's why my STX is still running 30 years later with clean golden oil (Chevron Supreme 10W-30) and nary a top-off used during mowing season
smile.gif

My JD 185 is over 30 years old and runs like a top. Of course the retail was over $3000 in 80s dollars so I guess it's hard to compare it to disposible big box stores stuff.

@Home Depot site, someone posted the following:
Over time doesn't the viscosity of the oil breaks down or thins out causing engine wear?

The John Deere representative answer:
Thank you for contacting The Home Depot website.
The John Deere lawn tractors with and without Easy Change are specified for the same lifetime.

The answer is 'hog wash' since only 0.8 qts is removed per OCI and 2qts of dirty low viscosity oil is left in the crankcase.
Specified for lifetime is such a marketing line.
I can't believe people believe it in and have ZERO common sense engine maintenance logic.

Lifetimes( with and without 30sec OC) are probably the same if you intend on running and keeping it for 10 years.

Last edited:
Aside from the cost, I actually like this idea...

It would be interesting to see someone actually follow the directions and see how long it last, of course it’ll probably take 15 years to find anything out. There is already a guy here(“ihatetochangeoil”?) that doesn’t change to oil in his car.

I can easily see the day when any car/truck that actually still has an engine uses something like this... wasn’t Castrol (or some one) already pitching some thing similar...

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
it is marketing to the millennials who probably never actually did a DIY

Yep, if it were me I'd run the conversion kit with a regular filter.

You know that pre-charged $40 filter with 24 oz of oil only costs $4 to make, right?

Originally Posted By: Patrick0525
The answer is 'hog wash' since only 0.8 qts is removed per OCI and 2qts of dirty low viscosity oil is left in the crankcase. Specified for lifetime is such a marketing line.
I can't believe people believe it in and have ZERO common sense engine maintenance logic.

Not hogwash... I've had the same oil in my pushmower for 10 years.

Not many "average" people will maintain ANY home-line mower product for 10+ years.
Only mechanically inclined people do.

Back