Hitch/trailer lock that takes a standard pad lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to reduce the number of keys in my life and have switched to using mostly SFIC type locks. These are commercial type locks that let me use the same key for my house doors, padlocks, and a variety of other things.

I'm looking for a hitch lock that doesn't come with yet another key. I have a variety of commercial grade keyed alike padlocks I could use. Does anybody make a good hitch lock that allows for a padlock instead of some proprietary built in lock?

The best I could find is something like this:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towpower-Anti-Theft-Hitch-Pin-with-Lockable-Swivel-Latch/16879603
But the little clip that holds the lock is a joke. A hammer or a pair of tin snips would take it off in a second.

My only other idea is to drill out a standard 5/8" hitch pin for a 1/4" lock shackle, but that doesn't leave much meat around the lock.

And while I'm at it, does anybody make a trailer coupler lock that takes a padlock? Everything seems to have it's own built in proprietary and usually very low security lock. I don't want 3 or 4 keys just for my truck...

My drawbar has a 1/2" hitch pin and I drilled the hole larger so I can use a small padlock on it.
I only carry the key when I need to use the drawbar.
I'm thinking there is enough meat on a 5/8" hitch pin to safely drill and put on a small SFIC keyable padlock.
Look at it this way: The force on the hitch pin is not affected by the thin pin clip seen on most hitch pins. The thin pin clip is meant to safely retain
the hitch pin which safely retains the draw bar. There is no stress in the area you need to drill.

That looks better than I thought it would. I'd still like to use a lock with a thicker shackle, but then again the value of my lock shouldn't exceed the value of my hitch.
grin.gif
If a trailer is attached I can use a bigger lock on the safety chains to secure that.

I've had a hitch stolen twice so I'm a little paranoid about it...

You were totally right, the 17/64" hole required for the 1/4" shackle leaves plenty of meat on the pin. Way better than the garbage from Walmart!
hitch1.jpg

hitch2.jpg

Now they key matches my house, my shop, my shed, and various other things! 7 pin steel serrated pins that are bump, pick, and drill resistant. Unfortunately, a master lock can be picked with a zip tie...they are the worst for security.

Now, does anybody know of a coupler lock that takes a padlock for when my trailer is disconnected? I can wrap some hard to cut security chain around the tire but that's kind of a pain in the butt.

Sorry about the bad photobucket pics, here is what I was trying to post. *sigh* Not sure what photobucket is even supposed to be used for anymore...
hitch1.jpg

hitch2.jpg

Anyone know a good coupler lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back