Ruger GP100 Match Champion in 10mm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you don't like them you can always go back to 357.

o-rly_o_103076.jpg

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Have you ever used moon clips?

If you don't like them you can always go back to 357.

Or sell it and get one in a 10 shot .22 L.R. with a speed loader.

Thanks for sharing. This will likely be my entry into 10mm/.40, though I'd marginally prefer an S&W.

Wonder if moon clips are necessary. For example, my .45ACP revolvers can be fired without.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Thanks for sharing. This will likely be my entry into 10mm/.40, though I'd marginally prefer an S&W.

Wonder if moon clips are necessary. For example, my .45ACP revolvers can be fired without.

You can fire the cartridges without moon clips. (The cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case, not on the moon clip). But you won't be able to eject them without a piece of wooden dowel, or a pencil to push the empty cases out of the chambers. Even doing that you'll be able to operate and shoot faster than the same gun in a single action with a loading gate.

Ive not required a dowel or pencil on my M1917 or my modern version.

Regardless, don't really care. Moon clips work fine. Wonder when these will be out in quantity.

Maybe I'll ultimately get a 10mm 1911 ruger as well.

Originally Posted By: billt460

Or sell it and get one in a 10 shot .22 L.R. with a speed loader.

Saw one of those in a local gun shop recently. I'm used to my .357 GPs, so one in .22 looked just totally off kilter. How do you like it? Been considering the SP101 in .22LR, but I have the Super Single Six Convertible that invariably goes to the range.

Every year that goes by, the .22LR gets better and better looking.

Originally Posted By: HouseTiger
Saw one of those in a local gun shop recently. I'm used to my .357 GPs, so one in .22 looked just totally off kilter. How do you like it? Been considering the SP101 in .22LR, but I have the Super Single Six Convertible that invariably goes to the range. Every year that goes by, the .22LR gets better and better looking.

The GP-100 in .22 is a great shooting gun. I like the weight. It makes it rock steady. But if you were looking for something to carry, I would go with the SP-101. It's bit smaller and lighter, and you get 8 shots. I have the Stainless Single Six, and this 10 shot GP-100 has it beat. An extra 4 rounds in the cylinder, plus the double action makes it a much more practical gun. The Speed Beez Speedloader is really nice. It's faster to reload than any of my 10 shot Browning Buckmark auto's because you dump 10 in at once. The loading block holds 100 rounds which is like having 10, 10 shot magazines on hand.

It's very accurate as well. It's a very tightly fitted gun. Which means you have to keep it really clean. If you get any powder residue under the ejector star it can bind up the gun. I always have a can of that "canned air" with me when I shoot it. That way if it gets any powder fouling under the star, I can just give it a blast of air to clear it, and she's good to go.

Its a good point. I love my 6" S&W 617, but the reduction in the muzzle end mass on the GP100, from the times Ive handled the .22 model, makes it balance really well. Better than the 617, Id say. Ive not encountered the same balance/feel with the same full length design under the 4" bbl of my 686, which points and balances perfectly.

Which is also why I'm interested in this 10mm, Id suspect it's a nice pointing revolver.

I'm occasionally tempted to look into an 8-shot .22 revolver, but I think I'd go for a S&W model 63 over the 101.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I'm occasionally tempted to look into an 8-shot .22 revolver, but I think I'd go for a S&W model 63 over the 101.

I have the Model 63. I bought this one new in the mid 80's. It's a pre lock model. It's a very nice shooting gun. But again, it's built tight and it has to be kept clean. I thought it was going out of time on me. But it turned out it was just leading on the cylinder face and forcing cone causing it to bind up after several hundred rounds. After a little elbow grease with some Lead Away Wipes, it was running like a Rolex.

I had a Smith Model 48 in .22 Mag. (8 3/8" barrel!). This was in the '80s. It would bind the cylinder, in the first cylinder full. The unburned powder would do it. I traded it on a Security-SIx.

Bill, that's pretty!!

I was thinking the short barrel kit gun version, but that would change my mind if I saw it on the shelf. Very nice.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I have the Model 63.

Ugh . . I had the blued version of that. It was stolen in December, 2000. Police report filed, still M.I.A. Haven't seen a Model 63 like that in ages !! That would be my 'grail' gun. My Super Single-Six is my favored range gun. Nothing beats relaxing and hearing a piece of lead hit a reactive steel target.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
An answer to a question that was never asked, IMO.

A lot have been asking for it.
Including the ones who spend the $625 or $675 (blued) base price to Clements to have him do the conversion from .357 to 10mm with Ruger GP100s.

Originally Posted By: Unicorn01

Including the ones who spend the $625 or $675 (blued) base price to Clements to have him do the conversion from .357 to 10mm with Ruger GP100s.

I don't get it. If .357 wouldn't take care of what needed taking care of, I'd just get a .44. Not **** around with converting a revolver to run a rimless cartridge.

I like 10mm. Matter of fact, a Glock 20 was my first handgun I bought after I turned 21, 17 years ago. There's just nothing that interests me about shooting it out of a revolver. I'm also not interested in shooting .45 ACP or 9mm out of a wheelgun.

I'm also not interested in shooting .45 ACP or 9mm out of a wheelgun.

I can see it in one of the Ruger Convertible Single Action Blackhawks. Because it doesn't require any Moon Clips, or other additions or modifications to get the empties out. They eject via. the ejector rod, just like the .45 Colt or .357 Magnum. It's nice to be able to swap out the cylinder and shoot the much cheaper 9 MM or .45 ACP. But in a double action it offers no advantage.

Originally Posted By: Unicorn01

I don't get it. If .357 wouldn't take care of what needed taking care of, I'd just get a .44. Not **** around with converting a revolver to run a rimless cartridge.

I like 10mm. Matter of fact, a Glock 20 was my first handgun I bought after I turned 21, 17 years ago. There's just nothing that interests me about shooting it out of a revolver. I'm also not interested in shooting .45 ACP or 9mm out of a wheelgun.
I somewhat have to agree there. If a heavy 180 or 200gr. .357 load isn't enough, might as well just move up to .41 Magnum or above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back