Westinghouse iGen2500 - BreakIn and Ongoing.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
rfLHlhL.png

Poured in the oil provided..... Ran it with a 25% load for an hour. Then ran it for a 50% load for an hour. Dumped that stuff...... heavy metallic flake in the oil and it was already, heavily darkened. I poured in some Pennzoil 10w30..... Ran it another hour under a 50% load. Dumped it......

Did something I have never done...... Paid over $10 for a quart of oil. I purchased the Mobil 1 Annual Protection 5w30 and poured in .37 liters. (For the $11 I paid at WallyWorld, I will get two oil changes for the investment.)

I am pleased with this InverterGen.... Really, really pleased with how quiet it is on EcoMode.

Here in Colorado, when we camp at or over 10k feet, we will never run our A/C..... but the wife has a blow dryer and I like to heat up my coffee in the microwave.

By the way.....I had hoped to find some Rotella T5 10w30....but couldn't find it.

I was expecting flakes in the initial oil run in my WEN 2kW inverter generator, but the GC 0W-30 came out looking very clean. I was very surprised! The oil for the second OC looked dark and a bit cloudy, but it still looked fine, for whatever that's worth (not much, except for not having any visible flakes.

Also, I drained into a clean white container, so I would have seen any flakes.

//

I only use HDEO in equipment like this. I have Rotella T5 15W-40 in there now. Resource Conserving Oil doesn't sound like a good fit.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

I only use HDEO in equipment like this. I have Rotella T5 15W-40 in there now. Resource Conserving Oil doesn't sound like a good fit.

Rotella 15w40 is in all my bikes..... but I want to stay with the manufacturer recommendations of 30wt. I am guessing this Mobil 1 Annual Protection has a super strong Ad Pack..... perfect for this little engine.

Still...... where in the heck can I find Rotella T5 10w30?????

Last edited:
Same here, just Delvac 15W-40. I'd imagine the M1 will be just fine, its just what I use in all my OPE since I don't want to have 5 different oils laying around. Changed my baby WEN at 1 hour and then 2 hours. First drain was slightly sparkly, second much less so. I'm at almost 9 hours now and I'll probably wait to change it until after the next softball tournament we need to take it to (runs a bunch of fans all day for the kids, and my comfort) that it runs all day at. Should put it at about 20 hours or so. Here in GA in the summer it tends to get a little warm so I like the -40 weights for our OPE stuff, harsh life for them.

Originally Posted By: ctechbob
Same here, just Delvac 15W-40. I'd imagine the M1 will be just fine, its just what I use in all my OPE since I don't want to have 5 different oils laying around. Changed my baby WEN at 1 hour and then 2 hours. First drain was slightly sparkly, second much less so. I'm at almost 9 hours now and I'll probably wait to change it until after the next softball tournament we need to take it to (runs a bunch of fans all day for the kids, and my comfort) that it runs all day at. Should put it at about 20 hours or so. Here in GA in the summer it tends to get a little warm so I like the -40 weights for our OPE stuff, harsh life for them.

I had the WEN 1250 and loved that little dude....but kept popping the breaker. Had to get a bit bigger. Really, really thought about the WEN2000.... but after calculating the elevation loss in power...decided to give Westinghouse a go. 1,600 vs 2,200 is a big difference. I am really impressed with this genset.

I run amsoil ACD fwiw.

The delo 15w-30 is a good choice too. Of course, both are harder to get than T5 10w-30 or M1 AP.

Surprised you couldn't find the T5.

I just noticed today that Honda now offers an EU2200i that has 2200 Watts peak and 1800 Watts continuous, and weighs less than 50 pounds dry, and it has a switch that allows you to turn off the fuel flow and still have the ignition on so you can run the carburetor dry.

I guess with all the competition offering lightweight (under 50 pounds) portable inverter generators that have more than 2000 Watts peak ability that the old Honda EU2000 that did not have the ability to turn off the gas to run the carb dry just was not capturing the share of the market that it used to.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
The owners manual suggests 5w30 at temps below 32F, 10w30 between 32 and 80 deg F, and 15w40 above 80 F.

This. I just read the manual on their website, and they recommend 15W40 over 80 degrees F. Since we are approaching summer, then 15W40 looks appropriate for your generator. Save the synthetic 5W30 for the winter.

My local Walmart sells Delvac, Rotella, and Delo in 10W30 flavors. All are good oils and would be a good choice for your engine.

Personally, I would run Rotella 15W40 summer, and Rotella 10W30 winter, for your climate. Dont be afraid of the 40 weights. That engine is boxed up inside a case, and they get HOT.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
Originally Posted By: ctechbob

I had the WEN 1250 and loved that little dude....but kept popping the breaker. Had to get a bit bigger. Really, really thought about the WEN2000.... but after calculating the elevation loss in power...decided to give Westinghouse a go. 1,600 vs 2,200 is a big difference. I am really impressed with this genset.

Yep, that's the one. Really just got it for running fans at the kids softball tournaments since losing power here for any amount of time is very very rare, although it has enough to run the fridge and small chest freezer in a pinch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back