Front Passenger CV Axle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last posts about this 2007 Buick Lacrosse with 52K was replacing the driver's front wheel ABS bearing (AC Delco $100) and the rear right wheel ABS bearing (SKF $77). Not much more than a week into a nice quiet smooth running vehicle, I begin to hear a groaning sound from the front again. This vehicle with only 52 K but 11 years old has had the above repairs recently and also struts replaced on all fours along with pads and rotors.

Upon lifting the front of the vehicle and removing wheels, I find the sound coming from the differential end of the passenger CV axle. Its a can do for this DIYer.

Question is: Why the large difference in price (Rockauto review) between AC Delco OEM and aftermarket? If OEM is advertising longevity why did I get only 52K on the original?

Cardone $60 and AC Delco $195.

Jump on board men. Some experienced driveline personnel need to set me straight on the "right" part to purchase.

Boots are not torn. Looks actually good under there. The car is not used in the snowy and salt slicked roads of this area. When the vehicle is put in drive when lifted and wheels off, its very obvious where the sound is coming from. No leaks.

Originally Posted By: Recalculating
Boots are not torn. Looks actually good under there. The car is not used in the snowy and salt slicked roads of this area. When the vehicle is put in drive when lifted and wheels off, its very obvious where the sound is coming from. No leaks.

How obvious?
Could this actually be a noise from the transaxle?
CV joints don't usually fail in use unless they have a torn boot and the inner joints typically never fail.
If it were me, I'd slap the cheap Cardone in and see what happened.
Good luck!

This is common with some cars that don't see much use. I have has 3 W bodies do this, all old and all low miles. In regular service it doesn't seem to happen. None had damaged boots.

Do not put that Cardone garbage in the car, it cheap junk and prone to vibrations and noise.
Go OE at that price!

To clarify the obvious noise, its coming from the right inner CV axle or could be the transaxle (beyond the scope of my wanting to be able)

Check for slack in the joint by holding the cup still with one hand and trying to turn the tire with the other.

I'd make certain that it's actually the axle before spending anything on parts.

I've had terrible luck with Cardone axles - rebuilt by grinding down original parts, leaving them without heat treated surfaces, or just ruining the balance. Rebuilt axles vibrate, the boots wear out quickly, and they make noise. They're complete garbage.

You couldn't pay me to install a rebuilt axle on any of my cars.

I replaced the boots on my old 4 Runner at about 190,000 miles. Those original front axles are still on the truck, which now has 290,000 miles on it.

OEM axles are best.

If you actually need an axle...

You're lucky since you can actually get real new OEM axles. Buy them!
thumbsup2.gif

I've used at least a couple of Cardone assemblies over the years without any problems, although I don't recall whether they were rebuilt or factory new.
Another less costly option would be for the OP to just replace the suspected bad CV joint.
He'll need a fairly heavy hammer to get the old one off and I know of no other way of doing it and the new one will need a few love taps to get properly seated as well.
I've replaced outer joints rather than axle assemblies in the past and while it's a little more work you do save some money and you might just end up with a better quality part.

Comments are outstanding and experienced. Thanks.

Ordered the OEM AC Delco. Shipping from Phoenix, Arizona per FedEx by Rockauto. Here by Friday.

Wish me luck.

As follow-up, the AC Delco CV axle was installed in a hour. Sound has gone. No outward signs of original CV axle having issue. Boots intact. Noticed a little sag in the right side engine motor mount that may need to be addressed in the near term.

That's typical to find the boots intact but have bad joints on these Subaru and a few others. Is this the 3800? If so the OE mount is out of production and no NOS, the new GM part is Chinese but still better than any aftermarket. This mount can be a PITA to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back