We Don't Need No Stinking De-Icing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They crash about ten times as often as western carriers...which should come as no surprise when you see this video...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
They crash about ten times as often as western carriers...which should come as no surprise when you see this video...

THIS!
thumbsup2.gif

Why not use vodka for deicing? They have plenty of it.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
That was snow, not hard ice.

What they did was both dangerous and illegal.

The wing was contaminated. Snow, ice, doesn't matter as both disturb the airflow and degrade the performance of the wing. Even after takeoff, it still had snow clinging to it.

The generic term, deicing, is used to describe the removal of ALL contamination from the wing surface.

Originally Posted By: Donald

The passengers were most likely too busy drinking it. I didn't hear a peep out of any of them. They couldn't have cared less.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Donald

The passengers were most likely too busy drinking it. I didn't hear a peep out of any of them. They couldn't have cared less.

I'll bet over 90% of them had no clue of the danger.

Last edited:

The wing was contaminated. Snow, ice, doesn't matter as both disturb the airflow and degrade the performance of the wing. Even after takeoff, it still had snow clinging to it.

The generic term, deicing, is used to describe the removal of ALL contamination from the wing surface.

Yeah, ill stick with USA airlines
smile.gif

It's not like it was -20C and 2" of fluff that fell on it during boarding either, some of that was sticking pretty good like it had been on there a while. I guess the pilot could have insisted on getting it cleared off, but chose not too for some reason?

Let an airplane sit out overnight around here in the Spring, and pollen will coat the thing. The de pollen procedure is about the same as that video .....

Seriously, that seemed like an unusual technique, but there was that odd clear spot on the wing, as though they had possibly checked to make sure it was loose powder, without a frozen undercoat.

Their runway, their rules, I guess.

Originally Posted By: Win
....... but there was that odd clear spot on the wing, as though they had possibly checked to make sure it was loose powder, without a frozen undercoat.

That clean spot was most likely due to the skin of that portion of the wing being warmer, because of the wing tank being filled with warmer fuel. The snow and ice simply melted when it came into contact with that spot.

It would appear the Turks are no better than the Russians at this sort of thing. Hard to believe this type of dangerous nonsense actually goes on in the commercial aviation world today.

Not hard to believe at all, Bill.

The flying public searches for the lowest fare, assuming that all airlines, and all pilots, meet the same standards.

Bad assumption.

In the industry, we see examples of poor decisions, bad judgement, lax safety practices, all the time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back