Shell Helix Ultra 0W40, 3070Km, Fiat Barchetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
First analysis with this new to me 1998 Fiat Barchetta. Winter run with SHU 0W40, Mann 712/16 filter. Only 3070Km (7 months) on the oil, mostly short trips, but I didn't change the oil yet.
Real vehicle mileage unknown, around 160-170000Km, tachometer isn't the original.

I initially chose this pretty thin 0W40 oil because of the winter and short trips, but the variable intake system (oil actuated) doesn't seem to like the thin oil on cold start, so next oil will probably be some 229.5 Total 5W40.

Silicon is either from residual previous oil, or from the Loctite 5910 used on the idle valve system. Air filter is a Purflux A340, was changed with the oil.

For those who don't know the Barchetta, it's a small and light convertible from the 90's (based on the Fiat Punto), engine is a 1750cm3 twin cam, variable intake, given for 130hp.

Redline is 7200 rpm...and it likes to rev, indeed! Actually cutoff feels way too early!

The variable intake system is on/off, switches to "performance" (lol) mode over 4000rpm...as an old school 16V, it really wakes up over 5000rpm only, and if the "long" gearing doesn't contribute to give a feeling of real power, it's still a very fun car to drive while preserving your license.

(Although this 98 model feels more "castrated" than the "wilder" 96 I have, which has a less refined engine programming but feels more eager to rev (or it's just a coincidence)).

Edit : nope not like the 124, the predecessor
smile.gif
1995-2005

Factory standard OCI is 20K Km, I guess it’s doable !
Didn’t pay for TBN cause it was useless in my case, the oil seems very strong, and engine easy on it.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Nice. I have never seen one up here. I imagine it likes to rev. Is this the same as the 124 Spyder exported to North America?

No. The 124 spider is an MX5. This is a mk1 Punto.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
Yep, it has a lot in common with the Miata..let's say it's an Italian copy!

Fwd vs Rwd
Both have soft top
Some similarities but hardly a copy...

My point was just about the styling, also more the "style of driving" you get with these 2 cars.
I'd say the Barchetta was the Italian answer to the Miata.

Originally Posted By: Popsy
My point was just about the styling, also more the "style of driving" you get with these 2 cars.
I'd say the Barchetta was the Italian answer to the Miata.

Fiats 131 is much more analogous to the MX5

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Fiat_131_Abarth,_Bangsaen_Speed_Festival_2007.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back