supertech 15W40 5.3 Chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.
This truck is for a friend of mine with a grass cutting business, 2011 Chevy 1500 4x4 with 233k miles. It pulls 5000 pounds six days a week. Being its how he makes his living, he tries to take care of it as best as he can. He bought it with 220k, it had a leaking rear main seal, dealer changed it and said the oil pan gasket would need to be changed also. It doesnt leak but you can wipe the oil off around the tranny/oil pan and two days later itll have oil again, but it doesnt leak or drip onto the ground, level doesnt drop much either. Hes been using Maxlife Syn 10W30 and a TG filter, chnaging every 5k. We plan on dropping the front diff and changing the oil pan gasket as soon as he gets time, I have access to a lift. Would it be ok to just run some cheap Supertech 15W40 and change it when the OLM hits 0%? Or stick with the current regimen?

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Your plan is sound.

+1000 on that plan
smile.gif

yes its has the AFM. Neither one of us have tackled a job that extensive but I figure with a factory manual and the proper tools and torque specs it can be done in a day or two.

Originally Posted By: mobilaltima
yes its has the AFM. Neither one of us have tackled a job that extensive but I figure with a factory manual and the proper tools and torque specs it can be done in a day or two.

If it made it to 233,000 miles it might be OK. Or you can have it turned off electronically prior to it failing if you want. Google AFM disabling.

Can you just try to tighten up the oil pan bolts a bit?

Why would you change to 15w40? Does the OLM go longer than 5k?

I'm going to go against what y'all are saying and ask WHY use such a thick oil?? Those have AFM and they are a bit picky.

Originally Posted By: dogememe
I'm going to go against what y'all are saying and ask WHY use such a thick oil?? Those have AFM and they are a bit picky.

I love it when people ask me this same Q?.

You are from San Francisco and you say "y'all"?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

You are from San Francisco and you say "y'all"?

Hey, it's perfectly acceptable in the English language!

Then the AFM should not work when the oil is cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back