2005 Accord V6 Steering Wobble (low speed only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all

I've been having a low speed wobble in the wheel when returning to center, as well as when taking long sweeping turns at low speed. So far I've replaced the tires with new Michelin Primer A/S tires and had the alignment done, as well as balanced (and re-balanced) the tires, but to no avail. The front end parts on my car are original, but I pulled the wheels and looked at the compliance bushings and they look new, and everything felt tight and "looked" new. The car is a 95% freeway cruiser and has lived a pretty easy life. Do you all suspect this could be my steering rack?

The only caveat I'd throw in is a new driver's side axle (aftermarket) about 40k miles ago due to a torn boot. It seems to have been fine, but this wobble has me wondering if that may be the culprit.

sorry should've specified, new reman haha.

If I have to take it out again I'll just go with a new OEM Honda axle, even though it's a bit pricey. I figure the car has about another 100k in it so it'd probably be worth a new dealer axle if that is indeed the culprit.

I think you need to jack it up...climb under the vehicle and inspect the steering parts while someone else turns the wheel.

I deal with an 05 accord 4 cyl that has a low speed wobble to the steering wheel as well. It is low mileage but currently has pretty worn tires. I don't know what it is but figure I will wait for it to get worse or the problem to become more obvious.

Like Trav stated inner joint , check the inner and outer tie rods for play.

Thanks all, I will have to look at the CV.

I did rotate the wheels front to back to see if that helped, but no change, so the CV sounds like it may be the culprit.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Is the new axle a reman or was it a "new" axle?

Does Raxles rebuild axles for your car?

They do. Their pricing is in the low $200/axle range for this application.

Just a slight update, I haven't yet had a chance to put the car on a lift but will get it up this weekend.

I am more inclined to thinking it's the CV as I have noticed on harder acceleration I do get some wobbliness/vibration in the wheel and car. Does the BITOG braintrust still feel this could be the CV? If I get it up on a lift and do find a bad CV I plan to order a new dealer axle, just bit the bullet and get the good stuff as this FEQ one only lasted about 40k.

Since you didn't mention a clicking noise associated with a bad CV joint...... I'm inclined to think it's something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back