Marijuana on the left coast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
I understand it is legal to smoke marijuana in all the States that border the west coast. How is it going? I ask because Canada is going to legalize it this summer or fall.

"Legalize" is political pandering, as ultimately like with the evolutionary process for alcohol from prohibition to its present form, it is evident that the pot industry can be better used as a profit source for the government through significant regulation and control. Here in Ontario it will be entirely operated by the province through an arm of the LCBO, there will be commercial grow operations and personal production is set to be highly limited with significant penalty for non-compliance. Anybody who thought it was going to go any other direction was seriously naive as to the true motivator.

i voted for it and regret it. they said there would be enforcement of driver and people using it on the street. there is zero enforement. i smell it all the time from cars and driving past people walking on the street.

now that the gov has got a taste of the tax money it brings in it not going away

It's still illegal via US Federal Law, so what happens if you're caught depends on who catches you.

As far as Canada goes, Law Enforcement here is concentrating on effective means to identify and charge non-alcohol impaired drivers. There is also considerable new research going on to identify medical procedures that can be used to identify impaired drivers. I expect there will soon be "breathalyzer" type machines to aid that initiative, versus having to send the suspect to a hospital for tests. It's what happens when you can openly throw money at the problem ... marijuana research is not very well established in academia. That needs to change.

There is a lot of uncertainty about employee policy, but it's mostly industries that aren't involved in machinery operation. Any company involved in that already has policy in place, and it's enforceable. Most larger firms have mandatory detox or similar programs that employees would have to take with a violation, sometimes second and third chances there, after those options are exercised you're fired and the union (if it exists) can't and won't do anything about it ... you've lost your job.

Reality is people have been smoking and driving, or working, for decades.

Legalization helps to bring policy and procedure in place that should have been there all along. Municipalities and businesses in Canada are now putting in place "no-smoke" areas that again should have been there all along. In that respect it's not really an issue, in fact from a society perspective it's probably a net benefit.

I know that no-one wants their kids exposed to drugs but the reality is they all are well aware by the early teens if not sooner. Being able to talk about it, being able to have TV ads with more specific advise, and whatever help that can be put together for parents, since they are the ultimate tool to deal with these issues, it's a different way of looking at it but I think it will prove to be effective.

I think that as far as the US goes, there will be a lot of scrutiny and interest in what is happening in Canada, and without legalisation at the Federal level (which seems doubtful) there will be plenty of tools and information in general that will trickle down to the US. Law Enforcement will benefit.

"Smoking while driving" carries the same penalty, if deemed impaired, as Drunk Driving in Canada. Even in the last few months there has been an increase in charges laid.

Originally Posted By: WhyMe
i voted for it and regret it. they said there would be enforcement of driver and people using it on the street. there is zero enforement. i smell it all the time from cars and driving past people walking on the street.

now that the gov has got a taste of the tax money it brings in it not going away

This, I can usually smell it while stuck in traffic daily. Sometimes you can see the plumes of smoke cone from people's windows and other times them fish bowling in their cars with just a slight window crack. I wasn't stupid enough to vote for it though, having grown up with one of my best friends in HS always smoking, smoking and driving and the same with his usual smoking buddies they just didn't care as long as they had there bottle of visine in the glove box they thought they could get away with anything and they were usually right.

Last edited:
If you don't mind the smell, it's fine. You still can't get a job if you use, but I wonder if the homeless hippies and the migrating kaliforicants are coming for this? Got crowded in the last few years.
Personally I much prefer the company (ie. living near) a pothead rather than a drunk, or tweaker (no shortage of those here). They just sit and get fat, not belligerent or creative (like boosting my Jeep). Yet to see what the taxes are benefiting...

“I know that no-one wants their kids exposed to drugs but the reality is they all are well aware by the early teens if not sooner. Being able to talk about it, being able to have TV ads with more specific advise, and whatever help that can be put together for parents, since they are the ultimate tool to deal with these issues, it's a different way of looking at it but I think it will prove to be effective.”

Not much of a choice here in WA. The tobacco and liquor companies cannot advertise but large billboards advertising cannabis shops are everywhere on city streets and highways.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Colorado is where you want to be,
Legal dope and open carry!!!

So is Maine.

Open carry is fine for clowns, NH has it and no one walks around and it does it or cares when anyone does it.

same here. Smell it constantly.customers stinky cars are the worst.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
It's still illegal via US Federal Law, so what happens if you're caught depends on who catches you.

As far as Canada goes, Law Enforcement here is concentrating on effective means to identify and charge non-alcohol impaired drivers. There is also considerable new research going on to identify medical procedures that can be used to identify impaired drivers. I expect there will soon be "breathalyzer" type machines to aid that initiative, versus having to send the suspect to a hospital for tests. It's what happens when you can openly throw money at the problem ... marijuana research is not very well established in academia. That needs to change.

The technology is all there.

It's roadside testing here in Oz, same as RBT.

Swizzle the swab around your mouth, and place it in the receptacle of the test kit...then lines come up like a pregnancy test.

Mouth swab, so it's active in your system, unlike a urine test.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Since the legalization laws went into effect here the number of crazy drivers has gone up exponentially.

Stupid people voting for stupid things. Just what we need on top of idiots messing with their cell phones behind the wheel. Even though there are laws against that too, people still can't get away from the phone addiction. Driving is becoming a highly dangerous activity - more so the ever before.

Yep, all about state money revenue now. Money hungry state here.

Doesn't much matter to me if it's ever legal in MN.

The growing acceptance plus the increased supply from legal states means that cheap, amazing quality (compared to price/quality ratio 10 years ago) bud is easy to be had.

I never carry it on me, it's kept at home. I don't smoke and drive. I use it to slow my brain down and keep ADD in check when I have trouble sleeping. For me, it has it's benefits.

That being said, I see the benefits of keeping it illegal. I just don't think anyone CARES anymore. Things become uninteresting, and people forget. That's when laws change.

Prohibition, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back