installed 24F battery in a 2004 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
After almost 8 years, the battery in the Corolla finally bit the dust (unless a parasytic drain developed overnight).
I went crazy and bought a group 24F even though the car requires a group 35 battery (some quick forum search indicated it fits, but tight).
I installed it, but I'm not crazy about the fit: it's bigger than the tray, and it touches the upper radiator hose (mind you this is a short 24F - only 10.25"). I somewhat regret going with this size as I wanted to insulate the battery and now it's being heated by the radiator hose.

I went with the $50 ValueStart because the exterior was identical to the $75 EverStart Plus (apart from the stickers), and weight seemed about the same too.
The group 35 ValueStart was not on the shelf (best seller I imagine), but the EverStart Plus and Max had the same casing for this group size.

A neighbor's car had a failed G35 and that's what I replaced it with.

The book called for a G51 (as I recall) which was ~half the size of a G35.

I thought about going with the teeny battery for about 3 seconds.

I'd put some abrasion relief against that hose were I you.

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Vibration/friction may be an issue. The battery is mounted to the subframe, the hose is movable with the engine

OP should get some of that....techflex? I have seen it called, the stranded hose/cable cover. I found some on a radiator hose on some random mazda van in the scrapyard. I used it where one of my rad hoses now touches my radiator fan cage due to mods.

I'd leave the 24F battery in your car and protect the radiator hose with some wrap of some kind. I use grp 24F in place of grp 35 whenever I can.

I couldn't help myself go overkill, especially since both batteries cost the same.
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
So... why did you go with a 24 and not the already-big-enough 35?

^^^^^^^

Yep. Great point CB. Sane true with my area. I can get a group 24 battery made by East Penn for $98 us tax with a 3 yr warranty. It is cheaper than the group 35 that is supposed to go in my car.

I did the same in my Mazda3. Of course, the battery is in a box and measured to see that the cheaper and larger capacity 24F would fit before I bought it.

If I get an extra year for less money, it's a win-win.

I notice you have the original hoses on your 2004 Corolla....I just changed the original hoses on my 2008 Corolla today with 112K on them....the OEs seemed OK...a little softer than the new ones. The reason I changed them was because my daughters 2008 Elantra had an OE hose go in March and it has approximately the same mileage as the Corolla.
For those interested, I used PEAK Global Lifetime concentrate coolant.....Where are these ValueStart batteries sold?

A flat piece of aluminum or stainless (Al works just as good and is much easier to work with, but whatever is in the junk bin) between that hose and your battery should keep heat at bay. Just be sure to install it such that it's not physically touching the one side of the battery. If it turns out that it rubs against that rad hose, drill a hole or three and put a cable tie mounted on a small spacer and don't pull the tie tight around the hose, just a slack fit.

I wouldn't recommend TechFlex or similar, they are generally cosmetic or abrasion protection for wiring. Not so much for hoses, especially ones that move. They won't reduce the heat from the hose (or the battery, for that matter). There are heat-protective variants (kevlar, fibreglass, nomex) but again that's just to insure the wrap doesn't melt, plus they are really expensive, it's not a heat barrier. Unless you really know what you are doing wraps generally cause whatever you wrap to degrade more quickly.

Hey pbm... If you have Koi near you that would be a Federated Auto store. Where you could find that East Penn made battery for $98 with a 3 yr warranty.

Yes, they are the original hoses, but they seem fine.
I'm using Zerex Asian.
The ValueStart and EverStart are Walmart brands.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I notice you have the original hoses on your 2004 Corolla....I just changed the original hoses on my 2008 Corolla today with 112K on them....the OEs seemed OK...a little softer than the new ones. The reason I changed them was because my daughters 2008 Elantra had an OE hose go in March and it has approximately the same mileage as the Corolla.
For those interested, I used PEAK Global Lifetime concentrate coolant.....Where are these ValueStart batteries sold?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back