Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and derivatives are out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
banana2.gif

I dumped Linux months ago and upgraded to Windows 10 1709.

If the Linux guys can post something like that in every Windows thread, I can do it in Linux threads!
grin2.gif

I am looking forward to trying Linux Mint 19.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
What new features make it worth the upgrade?

I am not sure there were any show-stoppers. There are the usual updates.

They ditched the "Unity" desktop environment after several years and went back to Gnome as the default; but made the Gnome desktop look and work in a very similar manner to Unity so as not to disorient too many users.

I think users of 14.04 might start to look at upgrading, as support for 14.04 runs out before the next Long Term Support release (20.04; support for 14.04 will expire in 2019 some time) but users of 16.04 who are happy might be just as well sticking with what they know and love.

The derivative "flavours" all have their own updates and improvements, of course.

I upgraded the one on my external thumb drive just to see how the upgrade goes and what the new UI looks like. Honestly, the differences are rather small.

I am keeping my home media server on 16.04 for now. I remember running into issues with Plex Media Server and Logitech Media Server not working correctly and not seeing my media content when I upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04. I don't want to deal with that again if I don't have to.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

All of the Ubuntu flavours are released as of today (April 26) and can be downloaded or updated if you're already using it.

I'll have my IT guy on it right away ....
cool.gif

Daddy, why don't you let him imagine his Friday will go in a good way?

Originally Posted By: pandus13

All of the Ubuntu flavours are released as of today (April 26) and can be downloaded or updated if you're already using it.

cool.gif

My youngest granddaughter is 9 yrs old today and I’ll be dining with uc50 and the family this evening.
I won't spoil his Friday by asking him when he's coming to install the "Bionic Beaver" .... I promise
56.gif

Originally Posted By: pandus13

cool.gif

My youngest granddaughter is 9 yrs old today and I’ll be dining with uc50 and the family this evening.
I won't spoil his Friday by asking him when he's coming to install the "Bionic Beaver" .... I promise
56.gif

Get the kiddos full of carbs, then to burn them get them outside to help you with that oil change in warm weather :p

P.S. Happy birthday to the little missus.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I may try a live version; I always wait forever to upgrade.
Yep, it's usually best to wait for the first update on the LTS releases if your priority is stability and no major bugs (since Ubuntu already had a major one that delayed the release a few hours yesterday).

I am liking Ubuntu Mate. Took a while to sort out wireless connection. Everything else is working well after install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back