3. Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes AMG Petronas, 40
4. Daniel Ricciardo, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, 37
5. Kimi Raikkonen, Scuderia Ferrari, 30
6. Fernando Alonso, McLaren Renault, 22
7. Nico Hulkenberg, Renault Sport F1, 22
8. Max Verstappen, Aston Martin Red Bull Racing, 18
9. Pierre Gasly, Toro Rosso Honda, 12
10. Kevin Magnussen, Haas, 11

For more, including track data, analysis, and video please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports.

86a0cef824e5af484a0bf3c568ce0e32.jpg

Last edited:
ESPN 2 isn't showing anything Formula 1 related on Saturday morning. At least on my system, (Cox Communications). I'm getting sick of hunting for this stuff every race. It's bad enough they can't get their act together on these times. Then they have to juggle it all between 162 different channels. I'll watch the empty stands at Talladega instead. At least I can find it in the lineup.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Not sure what to tell you guys? I get the times direct from an ESPN site. I'll check my DVR schedule when I get home.

It's not your fault at all. It's the cable company. A lot of them are different, and change broadcast times. Or else outright eliminate them. This isn't the first time this has happened.

Qualifying does not show on my cable box listing, but does show on my cable provider (Cox) listings online... Left hand and right hand don't know what each other are doing apparently.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I watch it on UK Channel 4, they do every qualifying session, a pre-race show, the races themselves, and a post-race recap. Got it on ROKU.

Only for some races (10 in total), not all of them. Azerbaijan has full coverage, but the next race (Spain) is highlights only.

I must admit as an onlooker to all these F1 coverage conversations I'm amused and confused about how you guys get your TV. Over here it's pretty much fixed - you sign up for a service and you get what you get; no week-to-week guesswork about what will be showing. Luckily I have a Sky TV package which includes Sky Sports F1, so get all the practices, qualifying and races live plus the various add-ons (eg Ted Kravitz's notebook how can be quite amusing and informing).

Originally Posted By: weasley

I must admit as an onlooker to all these F1 coverage conversations I'm amused and confused about how you guys get your TV. Over here it's pretty much fixed - you sign up for a service and you get what you get; no week-to-week guesswork about what will be showing. Luckily I have a Sky TV package which includes Sky Sports F1, so get all the practices, qualifying and races live plus the various add-ons (eg Ted Kravitz's notebook how can be quite amusing and informing).

We used to get the F1 Race only on FTA, and we had local commentators or occasionally we got the Sky feed. The FTA station that had the rights got into financial strife and flogged off the rights to Foxtel (our brand of Sky). That meant we got 10 races per year on FTA and highlights for the rest. They did the same with MotoGP. So I now stump up $900/yr for satellite (which is as much as the rego on my car).

Having said that, I now get all the Sky feeds live. No ad-breaks for Quali or the Race for both F1 & MotoGP. So while I despise paying that ransom, it is the *only* legal way in Aus to get the feed. They do a cheaper "device" streaming service, but the quality and reliability is [censored].

You know how you kinda build a mental image of a voice you've never seen the source of? After years and years of Ted Kravitz on the race, seeing him in the pit lane nearly broke my mind. All of a sudden you were hearing that voice and it was coming out of a person that looks nothing like the person you've spent years imagining it come out of.

Anyway, without seeming mean, nice to see Pastor Verstappen sticking to form. People keep comparing him to Vettel, and as much as I really don't like Vettel, he didn't cause half the damage Verstappen has at the relative point in his career.

Originally Posted By: weasley
I must admit as an onlooker to all these F1 coverage conversations I'm amused and confused about how you guys get your TV.

It's not so much how we get our TV. You have to realize that most all of Continental Europe eats, sleeps, and breaths Formula 1 and Sports Car Racing, of one form or another. Here in the states, not so much. We have NASCAR, NHRA Drag Racing, and Indy Car Racing that out view F1 by a huge margin. Consiquently not that much coverage is given to it to begin with. And if something comes up that they think will draw more viewers, they'll preempt F1 practice and qualifying to broadcast it in many areas. It might even be an infomercial for an oil additive, if they think it will translate into more money. Another thing is the broadcast times. For most people in the states, if you can't DVR it, you can't watch it. Unless you want to get up in the middle of the night. (With the possible exception of COTA in Texas and Brazil).

The dollars. Always the dollars. And viewership directly translates into money. If you ask most Americans what they don't like about Formula 1 compared to most other forms of American racing. They'll say it's too boring to watch. And for the most part they're right. Just look at the lead changes in a NASCAR or Indy Car race. Compared to a processional, "follow the leader" Formula 1 race. Where you have to hope for a Safety Car or a cut tire to get a lead change.

Originally Posted By: billt460
ESPN 2 isn't showing anything Formula 1 related on Saturday morning. At least on my system, (Cox Communications). I'm getting sick of hunting for this stuff every race. It's bad enough they can't get their act together on these times. Then they have to juggle it all between 162 different channels. I'll watch the empty stands at Talladega instead. At least I can find it in the lineup.

I believe many of these cable companies are just inept. Things have improved up here, since TSN has five channels and generally broadcasts what they're supposed to, with a few screwups here and there, with most screwups simply being the on screen guide.

I watch live, but if I didn't, it wouldn't be much different than I do now. I check the schedule from the F1 site itself, which provides local time as well (and doesn't even screw up with this jurisdiction not having DST). I plan based upon that. While ESPN or TSN might not exactly know what's going on when they hand out program guide information, or however that works, I can at least plan the watching (or recording if that were the case). With respect to criticisms of broadcast times, they are what they are, given that it's a global event. Race times and other session times are set well in advance (maybe even in the rule book), and reflect local time, and for certain events, trying to avoid racing at the hottest time of the day. I'm lucky and get to set my own schedule, within reason, so can watch live, usually.

weasley: I think things are improving for coverage in the States, as they did here. Once TSN had enough channels going and signed the standard deals, beyond the previous limited coverage, the problems have been minimised. Now, in the States, they had to put up with it being bounced around by NBC, who I believe had the rights before. It'll work out in the wash eventually, assuming channels provide the cable companies proper information.

And yes, Pastor Verstappen is at it again. It doesn't help when Red Bull continually makes excuses for him, but Helmut Marko will hit the roof one of these days, and it won't be pleasant for Max. Flushing points down the toilet repeatedly will not go over well in the long term. Like I said, Verstappen needs a sensor that will activate his pit limiter for some predetermined time when he gets within six inches of another car.
wink.gif

Since they like to bet on everything across the pond, I wonder what the odds are that Hartley will last more than one year with TR? Or perhaps even the entire year?

Four races in, and he's already collided with his teammate (who's outpaced him) once, and almost a second time in qualifying. That one would have been messy.

It has been difficult this year just to remember the race weekends what with NFL draft and NBA playoffs running non-stop. The move to ESPN hasn’t helped. But, just happened to remember it this weekend after missing qualy. Will watch it live this am. Frankly BEin is doing a better job with MotoGP. Go Pacers. Time to dethrone the King.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back