attention cheap oil users

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to add I am not a mobil 1 only person here, but was when BUYING oil at basically full price. This will be my last run of Mobil 1 for a long time in my tundra, in 3.5k miles it comes out at 10k.

I have 5 quarts of Mobil 1 left, it will go in the Rav4 for 10k miles when due for a change. After that, the RAV4 will run Idemitsu 0w20, which it has in it now. I have 8 gallons of the Idemitsu left, so the Rav4 is set for years. The Idemitsu was about .65 cents a quart, so for a huge savings, I will go less robust. Equation says run it.

My tundra will run Castrol edge 0w20, which I acquired 10 free gallons. I am really not looking forward to the switch, but it was free. Equation says run it.

Maybe this will show I will run others, or a "lesser" oil, if the savings are significant. But not when presented in my original way.

Bash on

Originally Posted By: 93cruiser
I defy you to prove your car is in just as good as shape running supertech, you can't."

And you can't prove your car is in better shape running "name brand" oils.

More of the same " I thought" "I can't prove it" (no surprise there) and "I think." No proof of anything.
I believe this is
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

This would be funny if it wasn't so sad!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I said it is a less robust oil compared to a name brand such as mobil 1, and for the cost savings which is basically nothing, I don't understand why anyone would choose to run an oil such as supertech. Read and repeat this sentence if not understood.

also.. you said:
and for the cost savings which is basically nothing

Let's go back to your initial post in this thread, where you said:

Quote:
Example, walmart supertech synthetic 5qt, 15.68.
Mobil 1 sythetic 5qt, 23.97
Price difference =8.29, or 1.65 a quart

For someone who drives a lot, has multiple cars, etc.. that $8.29 savings adds up. Let's also consider that the $8.29 difference is actually OVER 1/3 of the full price of the Mobil 1 (34.585%.. and over 50% of the Supertech synthetic. That's not an insignificant savings.

That's like going to buy gasoline at a station that charges $2.89 per gallon, and just tossing away an extra $1 for each gallon you pump... same percentage - 34.585%. I don't know about you, but nobody I know would do that.

In my case, I drive roughly 30,000 miles per year in my Fusion, which equates to 4x OCI @ 7,500 miles per OCI. That same $8.29 savings you list, times 4, works out to $33.16... Maybe not much, but also not insignificant. With that, I could buy:

- 2 more jugs of Supertech
- Three tickets to a movie (I'm going to see Avengers:Infinity War soon, and that would cover it)
- Lunch at work for a week
- A case of cheap beer
- 12 bottles of good beer
- 2 bottles of good wine
- 4 nice big ribeye steaks

etc.. you get the picture. Do you honestly consider that $33.16 "basically nothing"? If so, let me give you my post office box address, and you can send me a check for that.

.. and the bottom line is, my car will run just as well all year, and still be in as good shape, after that 30,000 miles on Supertech, as it would have been on Mobil 1. I defy you to prove otherwise.

Proselytize all you want.. the point you're trying to make has been flawed from the get-go. If all you really wanted to say was:

"Hey everyone, I think that, for me, there's no value in buying anything less than a top-end oil like Mobil-1, and I would never go with a cheaper oil just to save money because I think it's not worth it. Who here is with me?"

... then that's fine. But you haven't been... you've been trying to tell us that we're all wrong for believing otherwise, and we're not buying it.

Now, so far, I've made multiple posts in this thread providing counter-arguments to things you've said, but despite the fact that you've responded to others, you haven't responded to me...

- You haven't responded to my post debunking your "Name brand is better because" higher TBN, etc.. argument: POST
- You haven't responded to my post debunking your "The average user is better off with Mobil1" argument: POST

..so I don't expect you to respond to this post either. Perhaps you just can't counter these points.. But honestly, I'd like to see you try to counter them using logical argument and quantifiable facts, if you can.

I certainly did not mean to not reply, but will now. I will try to address in order.

So 33.16 saved in one year. Or roughly .09 a day, nine cents. Now be honest here, do you really think you are going to see/notice the difference at the end of the year in your bank account? I doubt it, and this is why I don't see an advantage to running supertech. I think the advantage goes towards SPENDING the extra 33.16 per year on your vehicle. Both will work, but for 33.16 a year more in your case you could have the best offered vs the good offering. Vehicles are expensive, thousands of dollars. Why not just flip the dime per day and get a better product.

Yes, a better product. Walmart is not doing research and analysis on oil, but Mobil is. I can't prove it, but if we had numbers on test results I think you would see Mobil performs better in testing than supertech. Meeting a spec is one thing, exceeding the spec is another. Why not exceed for .09 a day? Just asking.

In my original post I thought I asked for a discussion as to why run a cheaper oil when the savings are not significant. I don't think I have ever said anyone was wrong to run it, just that it seems crazy to me.

Also, me sending you 33 bucks vs spending an extra 33 bucks a year on my car is not the same. I gain nothing by sending you 33, but I do not buying supertech.

I defy you to prove your car is in just as good as shape running supertech, you can't. Why can you make that statement if I can't say logically mobil 1 protects better, or in better shape? You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth.

I will go read the other posts later.

Enjoy the night everyone

Then you have burden to prove Mobil One will protect better than Supertech.

I defy you to prove your car is in just as good as shape running supertech, you can't. Why can you make that statement if I can't say logically mobil 1 protects better, or in better shape? You can't talk out of both sides of your mouth.

Well, that's sort of a reasonable question.

I THINK its a basic scientific/intellectual convention, which takes the null hypothesis as the default, so you assume no differences (or effects if its an experimental treatment) and then test the truth of that assumption. Its a reflection of the Occams Razor principle, which, IIRC, assumes things are not any more complicated than they need to be to explain the available evidence.

Since the scientific method is the finest flower of the Western intellectual tradition, and works, it shouldn't really be casually discarded. It isn't deeply rooted in the culture here in Taiwan, and brother you can tell.

I'd guess your position is based on the "common sense" principle of "You get what you pay for". Unfortunately there is quite a lot of empirical research on value and quality which strongly suggests that, in general, you don't.

I love the irrational arguments that it is only slightly more expensive, but since it is more expensive it must be better, therefore it's better to run with it.

Well, why stop at M1 or other over the counter synthetics? They're not even GIV or higher, just hydrocracked GIII. So why not spend a bit more and get GIV or higher? Heck why stop there? For just a little more one can get into Esters, right?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wemay
Jason Witten retires.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Now that interesting he should bring a new prospective to the former getting stale NFL games. But I'm just not sure I'll bother watching the NFL again!

So 33.16 saved in one year. Or roughly .09 a day, nine cents. Now be honest here, do you really think you are going to see/notice the difference at the end of the year in your bank account? I doubt it, and this is why I don't see an advantage to running supertech.

Yes, I do think I'd notice the extra $33 in the bank account. I'd notice it's $33 more.. or at least I would, if I hadn't spent it on something else worthwhile, like the movie theater tickets, or beer, or steak that I mentioned above. I'm getting more value out of the money by spending it on something other than more expensive (and questionably more or less better) oil. I can have 4 OCIs of more expensive oil, or 4 OCIs of less expensive oil, and a couple of other perks.. I'll take the perks, especially when the actual benefit of just throwing that money into the more expensive oil is questionable.

-- Also, not me, but a person living in a super tight "shoe-string" budget, who barely makes it month to month, will definitely notice the extra $33. That's a gallon of milk every month that they can fit in their budget that they might not otherwise be able to.

I think the advantage goes towards SPENDING the extra 33.16 per year on your vehicle. Both will work, but for 33.16 a year more in your case you could have the best offered vs the good offering. Vehicles are expensive, thousands of dollars. Why not just flip the dime per day and get a better product.

Rational supposition, but you still have not provided an ounce of PROOF that the more expensive oil is actually 'better' for my engine. This thread was started by you, its premise expressed by you, therefore the burden is on YOU to prove your statements. You can prove an increased price for Mobil 1 over Supertech, you can even prove that Mobil 1 has (slightly) higher virgin TBN than Supertech, but you have not proven how that necessarily makes it "better" for the engine in my car than Supertech.

The burden is on YOU, since you made the initial statement.

Walmart is not doing research and analysis on oil, but Mobil is.

You're probably right there... BUT I would wager that the companies Walmart PAYS to formulate their oil for them DO. If I remember right, at least historically, Walmart oils are made by Warren and Citgo, depending on location.

I can't prove it (interesting - or at least you have failed to so far) but if we had numbers on test results I think you would see Mobil performs better in testing than supertech.

Well, again, as I stated above, the burden of proof is ON YOU. Find them, prove it to me/us. Back up what you're trying to say.

Meeting a spec is one thing, exceeding the spec is another. Why not exceed for .09 a day? Just asking.

...and how do you know that Supertech doesn't also exceed the spec? You do realize that BOTH of them could potentially do that. In fact, I'd wager they do. Have you looked at the UOA on Supertech Synthetic lately? It's actually pretty darn good stuff.

In my original post I thought I asked for a discussion as to why run a cheaper oil when the savings are not significant. I don't think I have ever said anyone was wrong to run it, just that it seems crazy to me.

Actually, you said:

I know it all adds up, but if you buy a car to keep it, why use toned down oil for basically no measurable savings?
Ok, so let me have it, tell me how I am wrong.

In this entire thread, we've been basically telling you how you are wrong. You invited exactly this, but despite the fact that tons of very smart, well-informed people, some of them industry experts, have told you why, you have not shown willingness to accept their statements. You have not budged one bit on it. Why invite us to tell you that, if you have already formed your immutable opinion?

Also, me sending you 33 bucks vs spending an extra 33 bucks a year on my car is not the same. I gain nothing by sending you 33, but I do not buying supertech.

Your statement, initially was "The savings is basically nothing" - Clearly $33 is not nothing. My reasoning for making the statement regarding this was "if it's really 'nothing' to you, then clearly it would be 'nothing' to you to just send me that same $33".. Based on your response, it clearly is not 'nothing' in your mind.

Incidentally, I found another way to spend the $33 I'd save just using Supertech: I could donate it to a local homeless shelter, or pet rescue organization. THEY would notice that $33.

Here's why - and I know I've already said this twice, but I'll say it again. I can say that you have to prove it because YOU made the initial statement, and laid forth the initial premise. Therefore, the burden is 100% squarely on YOU to provide the proof.

You have postulated that expensive 'name brand' oil is better than store-brand. Now YOU must find the proof to back it up to turn it into theory.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted By: wemay
Jason Witten retires.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif

Now that interesting he should bring a new prospective to the former getting stale NFL games. But I'm just not sure I'll bother watching the NFL again!

I think he will too.

oh oh I got one... Supertech is less likely to have fake Bacon oil in it!

My two cents is that there is a gradient of consumers out there. Each having a different set of values. Some can justify the lower initial cost and some can not seeing "potential" future cost. For example..some swear by Mac/Snap on-Milwaukee/Dewalt, Craftsman/Black and Decker, and then you have Harbor Freight.

It is natural to have a segment of people that thinks the more money or better brand is better. Sometime it is true and sometimes not. But in general there is a trend of products quality and price. Things like this makes it hard for consumers as they often do not have the ability to test it. Brand loyalty is often built over time with consumers and it is very valuable. Unfortunately corporations must make money and sometimes that can drive them to produces lesser quality riding on their namesake. CEOs watch over their quarter earnings not customer satisfaction or even their future of their brand strength. I.E. Craftsman.

This argument is very similar to the brand of gasoline. People often would pay more because "feels" better for the car. Or how about brand name drugs vs generic.

I buy Valvoline because 1) they invented it, and 2) they havent become a huge profit hungry greedy monster like sopus and xom, or caused any natural disasters... I dont care if Mobil 1 or Scamsoil or anything else is "better". Valvoline keeps my engines running strong and clean the entire life of the vehicle, so what else do i need? I change it when its black usually 4-6k depending on driving conditions. I dont care if there is tbn left, i like popping my valve covers and seeing a motor as clean as it left the factory. Plus im one of those wierdos who enjoys changing their oil and getting to screw on a shiny new bright blue P1, and clean and polish my entire engine bay afterwards.

I'm a Valvoline fan as much as the next guy, having been raised watching my Dad using it back in the 70s...

*but they wouldn't be responsible for industrial disasters on the scale of ExxonMobil, Castrol or Shell because Valvoline is a blender.

*they didn't invent "it".

The "cheap" oil that I use is Pennzoil Platinum which is $18 (after rebate) for a 5-quart jug... same price as SuperTech synthetic. As for off-brand "super-cheap" oils, PQIA issues warnings all the time about these bad actors. Over the years, I've found that bargains can sometimes be short-lived...

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
The "cheap" oil that I use is Pennzoil Platinum which is $18 (after rebate) for a 5-quart jug... same price as SuperTech synthetic. As for off-brand "super-cheap" oils, PQIA issues warnings all the time about these bad actors. Over the years, I've found that bargains can sometimes be short-lived...

The problems PQIA found were expensive non API quality junk found on the stores of gas stations and the occasional dollar store.

Not API certified house brands. Not a apples to Apple's comparison your conjecture is flawed.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
So 33.16 saved in one year. Or roughly .09 a day, nine cents. Now be honest here, do you really think you are going to see/notice the difference at the end of the year in your bank account? I doubt it, and this is why I don't see an advantage to running supertech.

Yes, I do think I'd notice the extra $33 in the bank account. I'd notice it's $33 more.. or at least I would, if I hadn't spent it on something else worthwhile, like the movie theater tickets, or beer, or steak that I mentioned above. I'm getting more value out of the money by spending it on something other than more expensive (and questionably more or less better) oil. I can have 4 OCIs of more expensive oil, or 4 OCIs of less expensive oil, and a couple of other perks.. I'll take the perks, especially when the actual benefit of just throwing that money into the more expensive oil is questionable.

-- Also, not me, but a person living in a super tight "shoe-string" budget, who barely makes it month to month, will definitely notice the extra $33. That's a gallon of milk every month that they can fit in their budget that they might not otherwise be able to.

I think the advantage goes towards SPENDING the extra 33.16 per year on your vehicle. Both will work, but for 33.16 a year more in your case you could have the best offered vs the good offering. Vehicles are expensive, thousands of dollars. Why not just flip the dime per day and get a better product.

Rational supposition, but you still have not provided an ounce of PROOF that the more expensive oil is actually 'better' for my engine. This thread was started by you, its premise expressed by you, therefore the burden is on YOU to prove your statements. You can prove an increased price for Mobil 1 over Supertech, you can even prove that Mobil 1 has (slightly) higher virgin TBN than Supertech, but you have not proven how that necessarily makes it "better" for the engine in my car than Supertech.

The burden is on YOU, since you made the initial statement.

Walmart is not doing research and analysis on oil, but Mobil is.

You're probably right there... BUT I would wager that the companies Walmart PAYS to formulate their oil for them DO. If I remember right, at least historically, Walmart oils are made by Warren and Citgo, depending on location.

I can't prove it (interesting - or at least you have failed to so far) but if we had numbers on test results I think you would see Mobil performs better in testing than supertech.

Well, again, as I stated above, the burden of proof is ON YOU. Find them, prove it to me/us. Back up what you're trying to say.

Meeting a spec is one thing, exceeding the spec is another. Why not exceed for .09 a day? Just asking.

...and how do you know that Supertech doesn't also exceed the spec? You do realize that BOTH of them could potentially do that. In fact, I'd wager they do. Have you looked at the UOA on Supertech Synthetic lately? It's actually pretty darn good stuff.

Actually, you said:

I know it all adds up, but if you buy a car to keep it, why use toned down oil for basically no measurable savings?
Ok, so let me have it, tell me how I am wrong.

In this entire thread, we've been basically telling you how you are wrong. You invited exactly this, but despite the fact that tons of very smart, well-informed people, some of them industry experts, have told you why, you have not shown willingness to accept their statements. You have not budged one bit on it. Why invite us to tell you that, if you have already formed your immutable opinion?

Your statement, initially was "The savings is basically nothing" - Clearly $33 is not nothing. My reasoning for making the statement regarding this was "if it's really 'nothing' to you, then clearly it would be 'nothing' to you to just send me that same $33".. Based on your response, it clearly is not 'nothing' in your mind.

Incidentally, I found another way to spend the $33 I'd save just using Supertech: I could donate it to a local homeless shelter, or pet rescue organization. THEY would notice that $33.

Here's why - and I know I've already said this twice, but I'll say it again. I can say that you have to prove it because YOU made the initial statement, and laid forth the initial premise. Therefore, the burden is 100% squarely on YOU to provide the proof.

You have postulated that expensive 'name brand' oil is better than store-brand. Now YOU must find the proof to back it up to turn it into theory.

Sorry, I'll disagree with you saying you would notice the 33 bucks. You stated not living paycheck to paycheck, so to think when you look at your account a year from now that you would really notice a difference off 33 in savings is far fetched. We are not talking about you were paying 500 a month for car payment, and no longer have one. Not talking about you were paying 150 a month for tv, but now use streaming for free. We are talking about a product, oil, that you have to buy and are already, that you would spend 33 extra dollars per year.

Even one on a shoestring budget example is tough to prove out. It's like .09 cents a day. I am not making light of those unfortunate or struggling, I am just saying .09 cents a day is really not that much. And that's the WHOLE point of me asking why run it. You could find more money in change on the ground daily.

So nothing is proven you say, but then say its proven mobil 1 has better tbn. It also has a better base, more additives, etc. I said for the money saved, I don't think supertech is the way to go, and was asking why run it for pennies saved. Get it? I know supertech will work, but I asked why for the meager savings. I don't think my point is coming across, it's not about just which oil is better or not, its about that and the price. Uggh.

Does not matter who makes walmarts oil, walmart is not getting the latest "mixes" due to R and D. I would say they are able to purchase from the supplier formulations that adequately meet, or exceed to correct myself, specifications to testing, but not exceeding higher than say mobil 1. So for .09 a day why not.

I also don't remember saying how its wrong, or anyone was wrong to run supertech. May have said i think its crazy, but did I tell you that you were wrong?

I can't give you the numbers, no one has them. I can tell you logically mobil 1 is a better oil than supertech for the price.

I asked for why to run it. You say everyone tells me I'm wrong, but all I see a lot of is it works, and it meets specs. Yea, we know that. But why for what I will still say is not a lot of money.

No, you also still don't understand the difference of me sending you 33 dollars. I will say again, sending you 33 dollars for nothing gains me zero. Let me think this over, send 33 dollars to you and get nothing in return. Hmm, no thanks. Spend 33 more per year on an oil with higher levels and more additives, yea ok I'll do that. Its not that 33 dollars is nothing, you have to equate things and make logical choices. I'm still thinking you are not getting the price thing I was going for when purchasing a product, and the return.

I have provided all the proof already, not going there again. If higher tbn, more additives, better base stock for pennies a day does not equate that's fine. Still don't see it.

Funny you or no one commented on my reasoning with my Idemitsu/castrol post I made. That situation makes sense to me, not pennies.

I can't give you the numbers, no one has them. I can tell you logically mobil 1 is a better oil than supertech for the price.

Have at it, start demonstrating that logic with facts and data.

You have cited data sheets, UOAs, VOAs as all proving your position, but have not provided one example.

I provided the PQIA data, and a Supertech (comprehensive data sheet), which you ignored and then went on hand waving about your "proof".

Persuasive argument means more than throwing a statement out there and repeating it 100 times, it means persuading them that the argument holds water with compelling examples.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Well, why stop at M1 or other over the counter synthetics? They're not even GIV or higher, just hydrocracked GIII. So why not spend a bit more and get GIV or higher? Heck why stop there? For just a little more one can get into Esters, right?

Pretty much! Of course, that points at the real reason that we see Group III synthetics. You hardly need to splurge on PAO or esters to formula a 5w-30 SN/GF-5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back