NEW 2019 Honda Insight and battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

With the NEW 2019 Honda Insight hybrid set to be released this summer, I am wondering what the average battery life will be? Is it the life of the car, or will there be some HUGE replacement expense 1/2 half way through its life? I am very intrigued by its more conservative, cleaned up look to the Civic and will test drive it, but the possibly HUGE cost of battery replacement at some point would have me concerned.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I agree that battery replacement is a concern with hybrids although there are now battery 'rebuilders' who can save you money. I believe Hyundai is offering 'Lifetime' battery replacement on their new Ioniq hybrid....I wonder how that car is?

Typical battery warranty is 8 years or 100,000 miles whichever comes first (Honda, Ford, Toyota, Chevy). Kia Niro is 10yrs/100k.
Hyundai Ioniq is forever for the original owner only.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I agree that battery replacement is a concern with hybrids although there are now battery 'rebuilders' who can save you money. I believe Hyundai is offering 'Lifetime' battery replacement on their new Ioniq hybrid....I wonder how that car is?
Ioniq Hybrid has a 6-speed dual-clutch transmission monstrosity to break as soon as the Powertrain Warranty is done !!! Ford and Toyota hybrids use a more reliable planetary gearset arrangement that should last longer. Bottom line: Ioniq Hybrid has a forever battery warranty, but carrying around an unreliable 6speed is just stupid design.

OTOH, the Hyundai Ioniq All-Electric BEV (no gasoline engine on-board) has the forever warranty AND no transmission to break, a consideration.

I would like to test drive the new insight, its not as ugly as the other hybrids. I’ve seen youtube videos where people find the bad “cell” in a prius battery and replace it with a used cell from ebay so actually it might be ok. And theres no transmission to fail so long term costs will probably be ok.

Originally Posted By: Kage860
I would like to test drive the new insight, its not as ugly as the other hybrids. I’ve seen youtube videos where people find the bad “cell” in a prius battery and replace it with a used cell from ebay so actually it might be ok. And theres no transmission to fail so long term costs will probably be ok.

The new Chevy Volt is ugly? All the talk about bad batteries and how expensive seems to be from people who don't own them. There is a transmission, along with half shafts and cv joints, to fail.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The new Chevy Volt is ugly? All the talk about bad batteries and how expensive seems to be from people who don't own them. There is a transmission, along with half shafts and cv joints, to fail.
The latest Volt is kinda cool looking; the 1st-gen Volt was a little frumpy.
Also, this Insight employs a version of Honda’s latest two-motor hybrid (Intelligent Multi-Mode Drive, or i-MMD) system, functioning much as it does in the Accord hybrid and the Clarity plug-in hybrid. That means it really doesn't have a transmission in the usual sense. As in it's missing a clunky dual-clutch or hydramatic-style 6-speed slushbox, in that sense.
The Insight does have 1 clutch and 2 electric motors, along with some fixed gears. Like the Honda Accord Hybrid, this is elegantly minimal design. The best I've seen yet. ..... CV joints and a diff goes without saying, and they aren't that expensive to fix & are reliable compared to a big conventional transmission.
https://www.caranddriver.com/honda/insight

The exterior of the new volt is ok. In that case its the chevy interior i cant stand. They make the ugliest interiors.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Rock Auto sells replacement batteries. For instance, a rebuilt battery for a 2012 Honda Insight from Cardone is about $1200 after you give them your old one.

How does the shipping back and forth get done?

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Rock Auto sells replacement batteries. For instance, a rebuilt battery for a 2012 Honda Insight from Cardone is about $1200 after you give them your old one.
The 2012 Honda Insight battery is tiny. Very small. Size and cost go together. '12 Insight stores 0.6 kWh, that's it..
The old Insight's NMH battery is small since its really a mild hybrid, there to assist (help) the IC engine lug along.....
Comparison: '15 Ford C-Max Li-Ion battery is 1.4 kWh, '12 Prius is 1.3 kWh, both about twice the '12 Insight's.
The near-future '19 Insight ditches the "mild-hybrid" design and uses a bigger battery like other brands do.

Ok, the Rock Auto listing for a rebuilt Cardone battery for a 2016 Prius is $1110 after the core return; actually cheaper. Although some folks don’t like Cardone, I don’t think there is a need to fear some sort of $10,000 battery relacement when buying a used Electric car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back