Getting about 1 year out of Cardone calipers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I avoid A1 Cardone at all costs. Been thru too many defective parts to trust them. The last straw was a bad steering rack - not a fun job to do twice.

I've had the same issues with that brand on my 92 Cavalier. They end up leaking and I use the lifetime warranty to get a new one. They are easy to replace and this is an old car so I just keep using them.

The new calipers came yesterday. They look great coated and all in their original form.

One of the pads was damaged during shipment, but it looks like they are sending me another one. (Asked if it was inner or outer, but these are symmetrical.) Glad they are fixing this though as they are about $50 a set new.

Should get them installed this weekend. Just going to finish up my Akebono ProActs for the time being.

*Probably going to get both Cardones exchanged for new and sell them on CL to recoup some cost. Unethical to AAP? Don't care. While I feel I am only "renting" them, the metal is rightfully mine since I gave them my old cores when I purchased them 4 years ago. I have other cores from a hydolocker'd D30 I'm holding onto anyways.

Last edited:
I once dealt with Cardone calipers that only lasted 2 weeks. I made an estimate for a guy who needed a brake job on an early 90s Ford Crown Vic and noted that it needed calipers. Another repair shop was willing to do the job for less, and 2 weeks later the Crown Vic came to us with stuck calipers, ruined brake pads, and ruined rotors.

I avoid the brand whenever I can. I call it an automotive miracle that my father got 5 years of life from one of their rebuilt mass air sensors.

That is why I'm not quick to toss away the OEM calipers at the first sign of something sticking or not working properly. I've seen many on here advise to just buy a new reman because it's cheap. Well, this is the kind of thing one can expect from cheap parts.

By the way, my 06 Mazda 3 still has the original calipers all around. That's 12 Canadian winters and all the salt that goes with it. If a caliper ever gives me trouble, I will toss in a cheap reman temporarily while I fix the original.

Originally Posted By: Trav
Are they the calipers you wanted or the Teves?

Yes sir they are the Akebonos. Thanks again and have a good weekend!

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
That is why I'm not quick to toss away the OEM calipers at the first sign of something sticking or not working properly. I've seen many on here advise to just buy a new reman because it's cheap. Well, this is the kind of thing one can expect from cheap parts.

By the way, my 06 Mazda 3 still has the original calipers all around. That's 12 Canadian winters and all the salt that goes with it. If a caliper ever gives me trouble, I will toss in a cheap reman temporarily while I fix the original.

Live and learn. I was more uneducated at the time and did just that; tossed the OE calipers. Never again.

They do have you somewhat over a barrel though with the core and the charges. Depending on the model, you're easily pushing an extra $20 or so if you don't return the core. I'm sure newer models are more than that. Just an FYI, some RA part numbers do not require a core return.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Trav
Are they the calipers you wanted or the Teves?

Yes sir they are the Akebonos. Thanks again and have a good weekend!

Excellent! You have a good weekend too, I'm working.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back