Ford will only sell Mustang, Focus Active in N.A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Honda Accord Not Selling

Yep and Honda announced production cuts long ago.

Well....it is hard to sell cars (civic included) that look like "donkey".

Some will say that’s the problem with Ford.

Of course, personal opinion becomes fact on the internet.

I think car makers are getting smarter:

50% of VW sales in March were new SUV models Tiguan and Altas both Americanized becoming larger versions of their MQB platform shared across the line.

Subaru added a larger SUV soon to compete with Mid size crossovers. Subaru continues to spawn crossovers other car makers emulate.

Most of you guys are seeing this move as a bad thing. I don't think you are looking far enough down the road. Look at it this way.
1. Ford is not making (and possibly losing) money on their car lines.
2. Its highly unlikely they will turn it around anytime soon. Could be decades, or never.
3. The self driving car revolution is right around the corner, within 10 years....major penetration within 20 years for sure.
4. The self driving car revolution will change EVERYTHING. Imagine only calling for a car....when you need it. All car sales will drop by huge numbers when milennials share cars.
5. Finally, if Ford needs a small car to sell....they can easily contract one.

The auto companies are entering an era of big change and big engineering costs. Ford is being forward looking and conserving what engineering resources they have for the coming self driving revolution. The rest of us are all thinking like the dinosaurs....

Smart move, waste factory capacity and investment on cars which are now vannilla commodity or convert to SUVs and CUVs or trucks with more margin, the market is shifting away from cars and they know it.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I think Ford will really regret this decision if that happens as oil prices will skyrocket no matter what US production capabilities are at that point.

Dunno about Ford, but our Forester gets the same fuel economy as our Civic around town. On the highway, it loses out due to much higher drag, but if you're really that worried about a few mpg you can always drive slower to compensate.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
On the Mustang, is keeping this model a heritage movement? I know that will irk the Mustang fans but reality is harsh sometimes.

What would really irk the Mustang guys is if Ford discontinued the Mustang. The Mustang sells pretty well (out sells the Camaro), and Ford must be making money on that line if they are keeping it. Ford isn't going to loose money over "heritage".

Originally Posted By: Kira
Does eliminating a swath of smaller vehicles effect CAFE fuel economy averages? Is a trashing fuel economy goals part of the 'swamp draining'?

I don't think CAFE requirements as a whole are based on what vehicles are being produced. But maybe the requirements are a different goal for vehicles defined as an "SUV" or a "truck". Ford probably already pays CAFE fines due to making so many trucks and just rolls it into the MSRP of the vehicle. Ford has been going with smaller displacement turbo engines for awhile now to squeeze out more MPG on their larger vehicles.

As far as betting the future on CAFE requirement cut backs, even if they changed now they will probably be changed back again to some degree in 3 years.

The problem is that not everyone can afford these trucks and SUV's so the people who did buy Ford's cars, will go to another brand. My fiance bought a new F150 last year and the truck stickered for over $49,000. I personally can't fathom paying that much for a truck but that's just me. My last new truck was $29,000+ and I thought that was crazy.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
And make a run at some Jeep business with the new Broncos? I’m curious…

That might get me back to being a Ford fan boy again. At the moment it hurts me to say none of their offerings are scoring any points with me.

This is not a bad move by Ford per se, it’s just the way they’ve done it. Drastic changes usually signal a deeper problem. If they had dropped models over time then it would be smoother all around.

Will this affect sales of the affected models? It could. We shall see in due time.

Many of you may have experienced this before when companies announce major layoffs. In many of those cases the layoffs are too deep and people have to be hired. In the end it’s a giant hiccup that destroys morale among employees. I’m sure a lot of Ford UAW workers are wondering about their future right now.

I have been looking at the cars parked in my commuter rail station by the working folks that take a train into town. Most at least a few years old as I would imagine the case for train cars. A good percentage, probably closing in on half it not a bit more are either crossover SUVs or full sized ones. The sedans parked there are looking a bit long in the tooth. I imagine that Ford sees the same trends.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
Smart move, waste factory capacity and investment on cars which are now vannilla commodity or convert to SUVs and CUVs or trucks with more margin, the market is shifting away from cars and they know it.

SUVs are pretty much a commodity these days as well.
Name an automaker other than Ferrari who can't sell you one.
Meanwhile, aside from the legacy US makers, every serious automaker offers vehicles in every segment. Even the German prestige makes do.
What do these makers know that GM and Ford don't, or is it simply that these companies have a global reach that considerably exceeds that of these legacy US makers and that in turn allows them to offer products in the US that may be low volume here but that sell in considerable numbers in other markets?
Companies rarely shrink their way to success and the next truck margin killing recession and fuel price spike is always somewhere ahead.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
I could not care less; the only Ford I've seriously considered owning has been the Mustang GT with the Performance Package...

I would agree personally, but your and my choice aren't necessarily the ideal way to run a car line.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: hatt
Even with $4 gas people are going to be happy with larger vehicles with mid 20s and up fuel economy. Jevons paradox at work.

It will probably take $10.00/gallon+ for regular to get most 'Murricans out of their land yachts.

Nahh, just charge it and make the minimum monthly payment...

Originally Posted By: wtd
The problem is that not everyone can afford these trucks and SUV's so the people who did buy Ford's cars, will go to another brand. My fiance bought a new F150 last year and the truck stickered for over $49,000. I personally can't fathom paying that much for a truck but that's just me. My last new truck was $29,000+ and I thought that was crazy.

Just offer 10,15,20 year auto loans, problem solved!

This is the first time where there are more auto loans outstanding compared to home mortgages - that in itself speaks volumes about how many vehicles have been sold post-recession and what could be lingering down the lane when these loans cannot be paid in the event of a negative downturn in the economy.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Bet Lincoln will go the way of Mercury in a few years.

That brand has been on life support for decades, good riddance its about time. GMC can go under for that matter, they have been playing the consumer for years and now this professional grade tripe.

Put a heavier frame under it, all SS lines, heavier brakes, a truck duty engine, larger diff and better corrosion control and you can sell me on professional grade otherwise your blowing smoke up my arse and playing me for stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back