2018 Honda rebel oil questions - help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

first time motorcycle owner. I own a 2018 Honda rebel and its asking for 10w-30. Here are my questions,

1. Would Lucas motorcycle SAE 10w-30 work out great or is there a better oil for the rebel?
2. I was also thinking about getting redline oil (Red Line 42304 10W30 Motorcycle Oil).
3. are all motorcycle oil full syn?
4. are the oil intervals the same for motorcycles as cars?
5. can i run my MMO & tcw3 mix in the gas tank (I run this on my regular cars)?

Last edited:
1. It will work fine. Is it the best option? That’s highly subjective. Pick any compatible oil.
2. Redline is also fine. Is it the best? Who knows.
3. No. In fact one of the most popular MC oils is Shell Rotella T4 15W40 which is not synthetic.
4. I would say yes on any newer fuel injected bike. My Triumph 800 indicates a 6k mile interval in the manual on synthetic blend.
5. Sure

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
1. It will work fine. Is it the best option? That’s highly subjective. Pick any compatible oil.
2. Redline is also fine. Is it the best? Who knows.
3. No. In fact one of the most popular MC oils is Shell Rotella T4 15W40 which is not synthetic.
4. I would say yes on any newer fuel injected bike. My Triumph 800 indicates a 6k mile interval in the manual on synthetic blend.
5. Sure

thank you for taking the time to help me out, I really appreciate it.

The Honda Rebels were 250 cc for years. The new ones are upwards of 650 cc. I bought a Honda CTX700 in 2014 and it has a similar engine to your new rebel.

During the warranty period and even after I would use the OEM Honda oil that is 10w30. If you want a major brand, find some Castrol 4T MOTORCYCLE oil 10w30. It is easy to find.

Don't overthink this. Forget all the boutique oils. Forget the additives and TCW3. Just change the oil per the book and use fresh gasoline in the tank and enjoy the ride. You can't beat these Honda engines hard enough to ruin them on this regime. I speak from experience.

Originally Posted By: Matinicus
The Honda Rebels were 250 cc for years. The new ones are upwards of 650 cc. I bought a Honda CTX700 in 2014 and it has a similar engine to your new rebel.

During the warranty period and even after I would use the OEM Honda oil that is 10w30. If you want a major brand, find some Castrol 4T MOTORCYCLE oil 10w30. It is easy to find.

Don't overthink this. Forget all the boutique oils. Forget the additives and TCW3. Just change the oil per the book and use fresh gasoline in the tank and enjoy the ride. You can't beat these Honda engines hard enough to ruin them on this regime. I speak from experience.

thank you, would this work?

Here

Originally Posted By: Matinicus

There is currently a Rebel 300 and a Rebel 500. There used to be a Rebel 450. The single cylinder Rebel 300 does not have a similar engine to the CTX700 twin. The Rebel 500 might be similar to your CTX, but it's actually shared with the CBR500R, CB500F, and CB500X. The Rebel 300 engine is based on the CBR300(R/F) engine.

The oil you need will meet the viscosity (10W-30) and service specifications (JASO MA) listed in the manual.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Originally Posted By: fujirio

Here

That's MA2, you want MA according to the owner's manual.

The JASO MA specs has been broken down into 2 smaller ranges: MA1 and MA2

You can google it and find the detsils. If a motorcycle manual says "JASO MA" then either MA1 or MA2 can be used.

If the manual specifically said MA1 or MA2 then you'd have to find that specific JASO spec oil.

You got a lot of great replies above this post and I agree with most, which leads me to say this.
I think reddy45 answers above sum it up for me, the only thing I wouldnt do is number 5 and add additives to the gas, simply because I do not believe in doing that but numbers 1 through 4 are right on for me.

With that said, agree with others too. If you change your oil on time when you are supposed to and I know you will.
Personally, I do not see any advantage to boutique oils and for me personally I stay away from them.

You can use synthetic, synthetic blend or conventional oil, whatever makes you happy as long as its rated MA 1 or MA 2.

I suspect you would like to use a "premium labeled" product simply because that is what makes you happy, if so, then I think your selection of the Castrol Actevo 10/30 semi synthetic is an excellent choice and one I would prefer over any boutique oil.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Here

You can google it and find the detsils. If a motorcycle manual says "JASO MA" then either MA1 or MA2 can be used.

If the manual specifically said MA1 or MA2 then you'd have to find that specific JASO spec oil.

Hey, thanks! Glad to learn something.

My '98 VFR will get the last of my Mobil 5W-40 TDT this season then it's on to Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40.

Here

Hey, thanks! Glad to learn something.

My '98 VFR will get the last of my Mobil 5W-40 TDT this season then it's on to Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40.

so I can also use 10w-40 on my rebel? A bike salesman told me everyone usually runs 10w-40 on hondas. I really appreciate everyone's replies. Its my first bike and I would love to do all the required maintenance on them.

While you won't have any problems using 10W-40 in this application, use what the manual recommends while under warranty.

stay away from car oils in 10w-30 (starburst on front label & energy conserving or resource conserving in circle on back label)...they got ingredients that not friendly to wet clutch machines that have common oil sumps (same oil goes thru engine, transmission, clutch, and primary drive);

so I can also use 10w-40 on my rebel? A bike salesman told me everyone usually runs 10w-40 on hondas. I really appreciate everyone's replies. Its my first bike and I would love to do all the required maintenance on them.

I'm surprised the owner's manual only lists 10W-30. Most cycle owner's manuals list a few different viscosity oils depending on the ambient temperature range. Since you are in CA where it's hot most of the time, a 10W-40 would work fine. And I'm thinking your Rebel is probably air cooled, so that would give another reason to use 10W-40.

You can go to Walmart and get Valvoline 10W-40 4-stroke motorcycle oil rated JASO MA2 for about $4.50 a quart. Or order up some of the Castrol semi-synthetic off of Amazon, but in 10W-40 instead.

Not many of us ride motorcycles when it’s 30 degrees out, I know, a very few do.

Another easy oil is that Mobil 1 made for motorcycles. That’s what I just put in the CB-1100.

I bet Rotella T5 10w30 HDEO would work for a long time in that motor. I'd go half and half for the summer, both T5 synthetic blends (15w40/10w30).

I like to run a conventional oil for the break in period. I likely would run Honda 10W30 or Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle in it.

After warranty is up, Rotella 15W40.

I'm surprised the owner's manual only lists 10W-30. Most cycle owner's manuals list a few different viscosity oils depending on the ambient temperature range. Since you are in CA where it's hot most of the time, a 10W-40 would work fine. And I'm thinking your Rebel is probably air cooled, so that would give another reason to use 10W-40.

You can go to Walmart and get Valvoline 10W-40 4-stroke motorcycle oil rated JASO MA2 for about $4.50 a quart. Or order up some of the Castrol semi-synthetic off of Amazon, but in 10W-40 instead.

thanks, everyone for the great information.

I have a Honda NC700x, and it's a completely different engine than the 500 Rebel. I think the specified weight oil in all of Honda's motorcycles is 10w-30. However, I also have the NC700x shop manual and that calls for either 10w-30 or 10w-40, and an 8,000 mile change interval after the initial 600 mile change. While all oils that meet Honda's requirements are ok, I've found that Rotella T5 (synth blend) gives the smoothest shifting. The T5 comes in either 10w-30 or 15w-40. Use the 10w-30. Unless you're running flat out through Death Valley in July, 10w-40 doesn't buy you anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back