Alright who here runs 20W-50 ( or higher )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Im shocked at some of the remarks in here about the Castrol GTX 20w50.

Why on earth does anyone think its an old outdated oil? (please dont answer that) *L*

Its just as modern and better then any other oil, its an SN heavy weight multigrade oil with a robust additive package to boot.
Doesnt get much better people!

Someone above posted a recent UOA and here is Castol's own propaganda.

Mostly only in the USA are such 5 and 0/20 "lite" oils used because of retarded EPA mileage demands, not all the world works the same as us. Heck, I can by 20w50 HDEO oils overseas, here in the USA I have to search every corner of the internet for them. Now dont misstate my post, yes 20/50 is rarely called for in new automobiles, but there are some overseas but forget all that, its an option we ahve and great for bikes or other types of applications.

Click here and see the UOA a few posts above mine.

Castrol GTX dino is certainly not outdated, but i would not use it because of its low Zddp in an older car which potentially has flat tappets.

What you said that 20w50 is rarely called for in new cars, i don't know of any European, American or Japanese manufacturer that wants 20W-50 in 2018, 20w50 in 2018 is exlusively reserved for older cars.
Chevy wants M1 15W-50 for their Z06 corvettes at Tracks.
Ford wants people to use full-syn 5W-50 in their Focus Rs and the more wild Mustangs.

Originally Posted By: Emanuel
20w50 is a very common oil viscosity here in Venezuela, people uses it in Corolla, Mazda 3, 4Runner and almost every car that is older than 100k miles.

I used to use that viscosity too but since I started to read this forums I decided to switch to 15w40 oils, any oil grade thinner than that is more hard to find

I know that well, most cars in South America and Central America run 15w40 or 20w50.

It’s Ok … not long after Easter
wink.gif

Yup, we agree, GTX 20/50 is not outdated by any means. Its used all over the world and as you say, some 50 oils are still used in new cars, even in the USA (corvette) But regardless, we all know, different conditions/applications/climates etc 20/50 is an option for for some people, just slightly more heavy then a 15/40 or 10/40.
Its also got the latest SN rating, just like any automotive oil and MANY 15/40 HDEOs and was the only point of my post.

Weather or not that SN rating is good for an old flat tappet engine, well maybe then one would need an outdated oil with an old API rating, one in which there was more zinc then the current oils. :eek:)

and ... I too ... didnt realize your OP was a year ago!

Last edited:
Walmart put 20W50 motorcycle oil on for less than half price last summer. I have 7 liters left of the 23 I bought.
Eleven liters went into my 2011 6.6 LML Duramax and 5 into a 2013 Matrix 1.8L. What can I blow up with the last 7 liters?
I was thinking of my son's 2013 SLT 5.3L. The engine runs well on 15W40, so it should run better with 20W50.

I'm not sure if you've noticed, but the Walmarts, at least here, have VR-1, only in 20w-50, unfortunately, but in a price that is quite competitive in comparison to almost every other conventional on their shelf, with the obvious exception of their house blends in 5 gallon pails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back