Eric O doesn't go past 5000 miles on Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding, "... or he could truly be north of Albany." In my life a 518 area code was associated with upstate.
Lou Costello referred to Niagara Falls as being "...in Upstate NY" in that famous bit. I suppose it's arguable but I think Niagara Falls is in Western NY.
Even the Catskills aren't upstate in my book though they'd be in many.

Owner's manual says 7,500 for my OCI with some mention of a synthetic being better for severe duty over an "acceptable" 10W-30.
I use Mobil1 0W-40 EF in my NON-TURBO for 7,500 for cleanliness.
I am having my first analysis done at 7,000 to see how good the oil is.

Anyone know "the best" oil analysis to get? No thread hijack intended.

ps He sounds goofy in this video. His voice is usually well paced and mature. Also his skin is red......liquid lunch?

I very rarely go over 5K miles on ANY oil. If I do, it's 7.5K miles.
The current OCI will probably get changed at 3K-4K miles. It has less than 1K miles on it currently and it's looking dark on the dipstick. They say PP cleans up to 40% more/better than M1.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I run my oil 5k.

Let the hate wash over me like cleansing fire.

I'm with you Mr. VW Porsche owner.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I run my oil 5k.

Let the hate wash over me like cleansing fire.

I'm with you Mr. VW Porsche owner.
thumbsup2.gif

Was doing an ecoboost at 5k … but with that gone 7k-8k is where the bell sounds on all (OLM) …
So in my evolution it’s been 3k early on … 5k the longest … with modern oils and this site … OLM is where I am …
Guess I could go 10k on the GMC … Delvac 1 starts with a really high TBN … XG10575 can do …

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I have been changing my oil at 5kmiles using M1 and other synths and don't feel the need to apologize.
Subaru recommended 7500 mile changes (normal service) with synth for my 2014's engine, but in 2015 they switched the recommendation to 6kmiles for the same engine. There is a strong suspicion among some owners that this was to mask oil consumption issues, but I sure don't know that is a fact.
From 6k, I dropped it down to 5kmiles because that is easy to remember and I also just felt like it. I make sure my oil is recycled even though I have a convenient brook behind my house I could just dump it into (what, am I stupid??), so I still feel all ecogroovy. I guess I will use over 200 gallons of fuel in the time I "use up" 5+ quarts of oil, so it would probably make more sense to work on getting better gas mileage (by not driving like a maniac) than to worry too much about my OCI.

You shouldn't feel the need to apologize for anything you do if you're paying for the car, and the oil. But you do need to develop thick skin when you're told how ridiculous your OCI is, which I see a lot of on this board.

I just changed the oil in my '18 2.3 Mustang at 512 miles, and it'll get it again at 5,000. Thick skin here. My money, my car.

Originally Posted By: WylieCoyote
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I have been changing my oil at 5kmiles using M1 and other synths and don't feel the need to apologize.
Subaru recommended 7500 mile changes (normal service) with synth for my 2014's engine, but in 2015 they switched the recommendation to 6kmiles for the same engine. There is a strong suspicion among some owners that this was to mask oil consumption issues, but I sure don't know that is a fact.
From 6k, I dropped it down to 5kmiles because that is easy to remember and I also just felt like it. I make sure my oil is recycled even though I have a convenient brook behind my house I could just dump it into (what, am I stupid??), so I still feel all ecogroovy. I guess I will use over 200 gallons of fuel in the time I "use up" 5+ quarts of oil, so it would probably make more sense to work on getting better gas mileage (by not driving like a maniac) than to worry too much about my OCI.

You shouldn't feel the need to apologize for anything you do if you're paying for the car, and the oil. But you do need to develop thick skin when you're told how ridiculous your OCI is, which I see a lot of on this board.

I just changed the oil in my '18 2.3 Mustang at 512 miles, and it'll get it again at 5,000. Thick skin here. My money, my car.

Not to mention how many here start mud wrestling over + $5 for a jug … or + $2 more for a filter … yet money is no object in the gun threads …

Originally Posted By: deven
I am at 9000 miles on dealer supplied Mobil 1 0w20........

If you're not 1st and last owner of that vehicle, then it doesn't matter if it's 6K-9K-12K, unless dilution exists in that engine.

There are multiple members here using Supertech dino and hitting 300K.

Why are we discussing some yahoo's opinion about oil? Because he's got a YouTube channel?
And here I thought discussing marketing claims as facts was as low as it would get for BITOG.
The oil section continues to amaze me, but unfortunately not in a good way.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
If I was a mechanic, I would say to follow your owners manual. Too much could come back onto you if you recommend otherwise.

5k as a max recommendation keeps people out of trouble though. Less likely to consume below the add mark.

The above would be for non BITOG folk of course.

Fraid Not! i recommend 5K oil changes and do all my cars at 5K with Pennz Platinum and Wix filters, like to think of it as preventive maintenance.
cheers3.gif

South Main Auto is in Avoca, NY. Love Eric O. His wife and little girl are a lot of fun also. Great family and he is very knowledgeable. I agree though that 5K for Mobile 1 is a bit off base.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Never heard of Mobile. Have heard of Mobil.

Auto correct got me. I hope your other 8,000 ish posts are more useful.

Originally Posted By: Urshurak776

People have been typing Mobile even before auto correct. Even so, you hit submit after having a chance to review "auto correct".

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

People have been typing Mobile even before auto correct. Even so, you hit submit after having a chance to review "auto correct".

M1, PP, QSUD, VWB … what’s so hard? Other than PYB !!!!

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

M1, PP, QSUD, VWB … what’s so hard? Other than PYB !!!!

Good idea 4WD. This is not a very friendly board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back