Best LL-01 Oil Right Now?

The last time I changed the oil I used 0w40 Castro’s edge euro formula. At the time, it was regarded to be great because of its certification as a true synthetic in Germany. Since then, it’s oil grade in Germany has been downgraded to an HC-Synthetic. What are the best LL-01 oils right now (base IV/V maybe)? I was looking into Pennzoil platinum euro because it’s GTL process, but I do know it isn’t a base IV/V. I’m also no expert on this stuff so feel free to correct me. If there are no true great LL-01s left, I might just go with that Pennzoil ultra platinum stuff. I change my oil every 6-7k anyway.

Originally Posted By: Click
Amsoil has 2 oils that meet that spec of LL-01

Amsoil LL-01 0w-40

Amsoil 5w-40

So I Google Amsoil 0w40 (objectivity … know Amsoil is good) … well, it’s a long list of things they claim to do well … but selectively post with 20’s and 30’’s and we can do 25k in the 3.5L ecoboost etc …, other claims …
If this was your major brand running a website like this ~ the BITOG howler monkies would rock our world … have a look …

Originally Posted By: RIPGermanCastrol
The last time I changed the oil I used 0w40 Castro’s edge euro formula. At the time, it was regarded to be great because of its certification as a true synthetic in Germany. Since then, it’s oil grade in Germany has been downgraded to an HC-Synthetic. What are the best LL-01 oils right now (base IV/V maybe)? I was looking into Pennzoil platinum euro because it’s GTL process, but I do know it isn’t a base IV/V. I’m also no expert on this stuff so feel free to correct me. If there are no true great LL-01s left, I might just go with that Pennzoil ultra platinum stuff. I change my oil every 6-7k anyway.

Walked past PPE 0w40 at $14 jug … and bought PPE 5w30 only because I have so much 40 now …
Surprised to see them clearing it out … It’s that stupid yellow jug change. ?
Next week the PPE 0w40 was $1/guart and got the last five to do two PPE OCI’s at $15 each … (6 quart)

You're assuming the wife's tale that group iv/v is somehow better in a finished, blended, additized product.

The objective result is adherence to manufacturers' specs. Which does the "downgraded" formulation now not meet?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
You're assuming the wife's tale that group iv/v is somehow better in a finished, blended, additized product.

The objective result is adherence to manufacturers' specs. Which does the "downgraded" formulation now not meet?

Precisely. I challenge anyone on here to show with technical facts that one oil that carries Longlife-01 is better than another.

Actually rather than "meets" it says "engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that require any of the following specifications". Is that more or less than "meets"?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Actually it says "engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that require any of the following specifications".

Which is meaningless.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Actually it says "engineered for use in gasoline or diesel vehicles that require any of the following specifications".

Which is meaningless.

It means that they're too cheap to pay for the certification from the automaker that it meets specs. So it may or may not. But I'm not going to buy something where they're too cheap to spend the money to get on the list when there are many others out there that can be had for the same or lower price that do. In the case of Amsoil, much lower. Or I suppose it could really mean it doesn't quite meet specs.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Which is meaningless.

It means that they're too cheap to pay for the certification from the automaker that it meets specs. So it may or may not. But I'm not going to buy something where they're too cheap to spend the money to get on the list when there are many others out there that can be had for the same or lower price that do. In the case of Amsoil, much lower. Or I suppose it could really mean it doesn't quite meet specs.

Struggling with that for years … they buy excellent materials from others … formulate an extensive and solid (speaking SS and ASG, synchromesh lines) … but can’t be bothered with actual OEM approvals …
Someone at Amsoil must figure it’s not hurting sales … ?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Precisely. I challenge anyone on here to show with technical facts that one oil that carries Longlife-01 is better than another.

Some folks like to think that their application requires a little better than whatever minimum spec is required.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Some folks like to think that their application requires a little better than whatever minimum spec is required.

And how exactly can one prove that a particular oil is "a little better"?

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Struggling with that for years … they buy excellent materials from others … formulate an extensive and solid (speaking SS and ASG, synchromesh lines) … but can’t be bothered with actual OEM approvals …
Yup. My guess is most people don't buy Amsoil for its OEM approvals (or lack thereof). They buy Amsoil because it's Amsoil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Yup. My guess is most people don't buy Amsoil for its OEM approvals (or lack thereof). They buy Amsoil because it's Amsoil.

It's like a religion. You have to believe.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Leo99

And how exactly can one prove that a particular oil is "a little better"?

I don't know but they have their beliefs.

Kschachn, why be on the site if you aren’t looking for the absolute best oil?

Mightymoosetech, you have a 135i like I do (although mine has an N54), what do you use?

Back