Do you ever use a gear selection other than D?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You people and your fancy shifting cars....
smile.gif

There are a couple of long steep hils here in Pittsburgh. There is one that I go down quite often and both cars we have (1985 Olds 88, and 2001 Impala) are 4 speed automatics. Both cars maintain a proper speed using the engine to keep the vehicle from going too fast when in second gear.

There is one hill that is long and steep that has a couple of sections with different slopes. When on the not too steep sections the car will shift to third, and then when back on the steep sections it down-shifts back to second. It is best to put the car in second on that hill to avoid having it shift up and down a couple of times while under the load of climbing the hill.

Last edited:
My car has D, 3, and L. Selecting sport mode will make L stay in 2nd, while economy mode will make it aggressively downshift to 1st, so all gears are manually selectable with some practice.

I'll use 3 for engine braking on long downhills at highway speeds. L + sport or L + economy sometimes in slow traffic so I don't need to touch the brakes unless I'm actually stopping.

Towing a trailer in town I use 3, but at highway speed have enough torque to keep it in D without hunting.

When climbing a steep grade at elevation I use 3 to keep the torque converter locked and keep ATF temps down.

Last edited:
I use lower gears on my automatic constantly to trim speed and also for entering sharp turns. Brakes do not see a lot of use compared to the average driver.

Only auto we have is the Lex.
It mostly sees "D" as it's not really a "sports car" compared to others in the segment.
Despite having paddle shifters and "PWR" mode for the trans, it's not really in it's element when pushed to be "sporty"/

I like to refer to it as "a sheep in wolf's clothing".

When I'm towing with the Duramax I going into manual going down a steep grade using my BD-Power Duramax Exhaust Brake. I can come all the way down off Mullan from Fourth of July Pass all the way to Kellogg, ID in fourth gear without touching the brakes.

My truck likes to go into overdrive at around 38mph so I keep it in D around town to keep it from shifting in and out of OD. My car doesn't have that problem so I leave it in OD.

Yes,
B for mountain downhills that require prolonged braking
R for reversing uphill
N for reversing downhill (less jerky)

I've never owned a non-hybrid automatic.

Pretty much always. My Camry has OD button so it's trivial; for a while I'd shift into 2 when 3rd was too tall but decided that was likely wearing mechanical bits too much (levers, cables). My truck is all automatic so locking out upper gears is trivial.

I use the Forester's paddle shifters fairly often, mostly for tight cornering (which it doesn't like to do at much speed in D).

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I live in mountains that requires "2" for about 2 miles and "1" for about 3 miles or you have no brakes by the bottom of the grade! I never use the overdrive off setting.

Engine braking is always a solution on a long downhill, but at the same time if you can overheat your brakes in a couple of miles of hills you need better materials and more ventilation. Look at the ducting from the front of the car to the caliber on almost every high performance car available

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
My wife uses D almost daily...and I couldn't be any more pleased.
coffee2.gif

ummmm....
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
When I'm towing with the Duramax I going into manual going down a steep grade using my BD-Power Duramax Exhaust Brake. I can come all the way down off Mullan from Fourth of July Pass all the way to Kellogg, ID in fourth gear without touching the brakes.

You might not live too far from me. I am very familiar with fourth of July pass. I have a 3/4 ton gasser. Does fine lugging my 7500 lbs around. I can put it in 3rd, take my set my foot on the floor board and maybe tap the brakes a couple of time on the way down. Lookout Pass is a bit different.
Snoqualmie is pretty easy. I don't like Tiger Mountain. Too many inconsiderate folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back