Does Shell V Power gum up in tank after a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
V power people!
Do I need to be concerned if I have not added fresh gas for a year in my car? It has about 2/3 tank of V power.....
I was thinking a premium gas would not succumb to breaking down.....at least in a reasonable time frame?
your thoughts?

Last edited:
I had trouble with stale gas in a snowblower a long time ago and have been buying 93 octane for my small engines ever since...correlation is not causality, but I haven't had any trouble since. I probably haven't had any sit for a full year, but 6 months and more has been common.
I use 93 for my present ride, anyway, and I'm only talking about a handful of gallons a year for the small engines.

I'd be most worried about the ethanol undergoing phase separation and leaving a layer of water at the bottom of the tank from that long of a sit. I believe the gasoline can handle a year of sitting without gumming up, although its octane rating is certainly reduced if any phase separation has indeed occurred.

Your best bet is to drain the contents of the gas tank obviously, but if you are unable to do that, you can always try adding fresh gasoline to fill it up, some fuel treatment to try to mitigate any separation, and then fire it up and give it one heck of an ITU.

May the force be with you.

Originally Posted By: 330indy
V power people!
Do I need to be concerned if I have not added fresh gas for a year in my car? It has about 2/3 tank of V power.....
I was thinking a premium gas would not succumb to breaking down.....at least in a reasonable time frame?
your thoughts?

Premium does not make a difference. Fuel is fuel in that respect.

Did you put Stabil or something similar in the tank? If not, will probably run like [censored].

I drove it late Fall.. no issues. It's about to be awoken from winter sleep.
What I typically do is top off the tank when it gets to half. so it's not year old fuel. no Stabil added.
It's all V power, though, probably a blend of winter and summer fuel.
Just wanted to get the input of fuel experts here....

Last edited:
While some branded (and unbranded) gasolines put a higher dose of detergent style additives in their premium grades at the truck rack, that doesn't include additional antioxidant typically. Normally antioxidant is added at the point of production before shipment for greatest effectiveness (before exposure to oxygen). So it may be more effective for cleaning & staying clean (good) but not specifically received an extra fose of antioxidant.

As others have stated, ethanol phase seperation if not E0 is the biggest potential issue, with some additional potential octane and volatility loss from loss of light ends from tank breathing. If your engine doesn't require premium fuel, the light ends loss will likely not be noticeable.

In the future you may want to run it near empty than fill it to half tank with E0 if possible and add fuel stabilizer at that time before putting it away for the season. But if you haven't had troubles in past seasons, I doubt you'll suddenly have problems now.

One year might not be too bad, just fill it up with fresh gas right away and then keep adding fresh fuel every 100 miles or so and I bet you'll have no issues.

So here’s the update! It had a half tank in it ——it started right up no problems no stumbling. Went immediately to the Shell station filled up the rest of the tank and it’s been humming all day long! Sun is out —spring is here

Yup forcing us to use farmer fuel(ethanol) or pay .60 + a gallon to not do so makes it even worse. It would be nice for gas to go up just .20 pay them a stipend not to grow the extra waste of corn for guaranteed sale. But gas starters breaking down well before a year ethanol or e-free, fuel stabilizer will help it last longer though.

IIRC the accelerated aging gasoline gums test allowable level used to represent 3 months dark storage (no direct sunlight / UV exposure) for 3 months, now I'm pretty sure it's 6 months. Much was driven by military investigation for their needs, especially requirements in Eutope back during the Cold War. Some testing was done here in San Antonio during summers in particular due to the effect of temperature on the reaction rates. It should be noted the gums test is run at point of production, well before ethanol is added at the distribution terminal. Ethanol in and of itself doesn't increase oxidation potentional of the gasoline for forming gums on its own but has its own issues regarding materials compatibility, phase seperation, hydrophilic tendencies, and volatility that ethers like MTBE, ETBE, & TAME didn't have.

I routinely dose my OPE cans with stabilizer because where I store it is not climate controlled and summertime ambient temperatures accelerate the reaction rate. This also means my OPE fuel is already spiked come wintertime. I think it's wise to add antioxidant / stabilizer to any gasoline being stored 3 months or more personally.

Last edited:
Can someone explain exactly what Stabil actually does?
Is there a downside to using it? performance related?
anything?

It's an antioxidant in function, there are several effective chemistries to choose from.

Massive overdose probably isn't desireable, but use in some degree of excess simply is uneconomic.

Originally Posted By: 330indy
Can someone explain exactly what Stabil actually does?
Is there a downside to using it? performance related? Anything?

I'm not a chemist and cannot cite the reaction or other process caused by fuel stabilizer. It keeps fuel fresh for longer periods and is intended for vehicles in storage. There is no benefit to using a fuel stabilizer if you add a significant amount of fresh fuel at least every 3-4 months (say 1/3 tank). I do add stabilizer to motorcycle and other small engine tanks (and fuel jugs) in the fall because that fuel may be in those tanks up to 6 months, depending. The small engines are run occasionally during the off-season, but the fuel in the tanks is still aging, still oxidizing. Bottom line, I don't hear a ton of horror stories about gummy carbs or fouled engines/valves because of old gas. Some people believe stabilizer is a gimmick. I believe it's worth a few bucks to promote easier starting and lower maintenance -- if the vehicle truly is going into seasonal storage. Also, I buy gas from busy stations where the inventory turns over quickly, nearly guaranteed to get fresh gas there. Hope this helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back