Redline shockproof g80?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searched around but couldn't find much info. Does anyone run the redline heavy shockproof with a GM g80 locker? I have a 2016 gmc Canyon that id like to swap fluids in and its a very noisy rear end, hoping the shock proof is safe for it and might quiet it down a little.

Alternatives to heavy shockproof might be dino 85W140 or synthetics 80W140 ... to quiet down noise.

you can use redlines configurator on their site or call + talk to a real person which is rare these days!!

Thanks! I got two responses from them. They said the shockproof is better suited to racing and some specialty applications. And also to use their 75w110 or 75w140 for noise reduction instead. I wonder if the shockproof just isnt formulated for long continual use in that way. Either way ill explore my options with a thicker fluid.

Unlike shear-thinning (multigrade) fluids generally as we encounter in everyday use which are VII'ed in varying degrees,(light or heavy)shockproof oils behave in opposite manners as they are shear-thickening fluids of unknown (to me) operating viscosities ...

Eaton calls for 75w-90 W/O the additive in the G-80. I use NAPA (I think Valvoline) conventional 80W-90 and no additive in mine and it clunks a little less. I'm assuming the noise in your rear is the clunking when accelerating and taking up slack, not growling and/or whining. That would be another issue.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Eaton calls for 75w-90 W/O the additive in the G-80. I use NAPA (I think Valvoline) conventional 80W-90 and no additive in mine and it clunks a little less. I'm assuming the noise in your rear is the clunking when accelerating and taking up slack, not growling and/or whining. That would be another issue.

It could also be the pinion bearing, or Universal joints, or it might need new shims for proper loading of the pinion to the hypoid ring gear.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Originally Posted By: Silverado12

It could also be the pinion bearing, or Universal joints, or it might need new shims for proper loading of the pinion to the hypoid ring gear.

2016? Could be mechanical … I’d buy an aftermarket cover and (gear oil on hand) have a good look and pics while it’s off … for 20 years I ran Mobil 1 LS gear lubricant in G80’s north of 150k … been using Delvac 1 for 2-1/2 and no noise with any trucks…
even in/out of lockup ...
Then “if you see something say something” ...

Originally Posted By: Tjdeerslayer37
Thank you, I did send them an email. I was just hoping for some real world experiences.

Is that rear built by AAM? They might’ve made the lubricant recommendation for GM …

Its a dana rear. Its clunky as [censored]. About half of it is on take up and the other half is actually play in the axle shafts, you can grab the tire and move it in and out almost 1/4" which seems to be pretty common. I don't expect that noise to go away... Until it blows up of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back