I found this stuff in my filter . . why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RAV4 - 2001, 135kmiles, 5 k on this filter, Castrol EDGE oil.

I cut the filter can open and have been finding gritty carbon. I can not fathom where it is generated or why. Like bad PCV, or stuck EGR valve. It is not overheating. I have overhauled a few hundred engines, but not modern ones. I worked in diesel engine design, development and have never seen this, so need some modern experience with the lubes and engine guts.

Here is the picture post. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4739436#Post4739436

Any help greatly appreciated.

MODs - please relocate appropriately if needed.

Bill

Burn gases blowing by the rings. Carbon. You might be using a bit of oil as well. More carbon at one end of filer as when the bypass valve opens it flow to one end of the element. Low tension rings might be causing it? Does the oil turn dark quickly?

Originally Posted By: rideahorse
Probably coming from the underside of piston heads. Your oil is cleaning it off.
Maybe. Could it be from the ring belt? I normally see similar-looking particles caught in filters, although in much smaller quantities, and generally smaller particle sizes. It doesn't look at all like what I'd call sludge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back