New 0w20 from castrol? any info on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is that press release saying that this new oil will deliver 4% better fuel economy? The wording is somewhat vague. In Either case that seems unrealistic.

Compared to 15w-40 reference oil which was probably mineral...

Quote:
1 In the required test PV1451 to pass the demanding VW specification VW 508 00/509 00, Castrol EDGE Professional LL IV FE 0W-20 gave more than 4% fuel economy benefit when compared to the test's 15W-40 reference oil. Actual results under road conditions may vary according to vehicle type, driving conditions and style.

We don't know what driving conditions the test entailed. If there was a lot of driving on a cold engine in the middle of northern states' winter, then I guess it's possible. It's all about how you design the test.
smile.gif

Ahh, so they compared the 0w-20 against a 15w-40 to come up with that 4% number. Pretty sneaky. If they wanted to really impress they should have ran it against a 50 or 60 wt. to achieve even yet a higher number. Apples and oranges.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Is that press release saying that this new oil will deliver 4% better fuel economy? The wording is somewhat vague. In Either case that seems unrealistic.

I agree, the wording is dubious.
Yes. It's a nonsensical statement even if what they were trying to say is true. Bad translation?

Nothing a good class action suit couldn't resolve in a hurry!

Buy my guess is they left out a decimal point and two zeroes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

No, it's as legit as M1 are (gains against commonly used viscosities), and the ILSAC fuel economy standards which are against reference oils.

To Pass that 1451 test, a 5w30 has to do 2% better, and a 0w30 2.5% better than the reference oils...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

No, it's as legit as M1 are (gains against commonly used viscosities), and the ILSAC fuel economy standards which are against reference oils.

To Pass that 1451 test, a 5w30 has to do 2% better, and a 0w30 2.5% better than the reference oils...

No I have ran the M1 and other oils that made that claim in my Toyota and checked very closely. Its Bovine Scat!

If you look at the VW 508/509 original press releases
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases...-300277766.html
you will see the engineers say a 4% Fuel Economy Increase (FEI) using the 0w20 vs. an old 15w40 oil. (Figure about a 3% FEI if comparing to a modern 0w40 oil though.)

So, yes, in specific VW engines that are approved (bearing loads OK, etc.) for this 0w20, you do have about a 3%-4% FEI compared to an xw40 you might use.

No I have ran the M1 and other oils that made that claim in my Toyota and checked very closely. Its Bovine Scat!

Considering that the energy content of gasoline varies by up to 4% (even at the same station), it is impossible to measure and attribute the effect of a motor oil change outside a laboratory. It may be there but it is in the noise with everything else.

OK, so you've run your oils back to back, in your engines on the test protocols quoted and haven't seen the results ?

The thing with test protocols is that they are standardised...Your driving habits aren't...I've seen nothing much in real life (bar 25W-70 in winter one year in an underpowered J-Car), but in order to ma the claims, they Do make that much difference against the test protocols and the reference oils.

The VW P141, as I stated Must be met to meet VW specs against their reference 15W40....2.0% better for 5W30 and 2.5% better for 0W30...4 for a 0W20 is not a B$ claim.

The test has three different bands of warm-ups Tyler operation and running...
Phase 1 requires a 3-5% fuel saving
Phase 2 requires a 2-3 saving
Phase 3 requires a 0-2% saving.

If you are running your life in Phase 1 style driving, you ge much more than the (maybe zero) result if you life in a phase 3 world.

Doesn't make anyone's claims in standard testing against standardised reference oils false...

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Incidentally, every single vehicle I have had first hand experience with (quite a few now many different makes) that was given a steady 20 grade diet has developed consumption...some as early as 25 to 30k miles. Now how is THAT saving any resources?
Exactly.
Would 20 grade oil consumption necessarily imply non-complying emission limits typically ?

Originally Posted By: zeng
Incidentally, every single vehicle I have had first hand experience with (quite a few now many different makes) that was given a steady 20 grade diet has developed consumption...some as early as 25 to 30k miles. Now how is THAT saving any resources?
Exactly.
Would 20 grade oil consumption necessarily imply non-complying emission limits typically ?

I trust KCJeep's responses but my experience has been different. Zero consumption in anything where a 20 was recommended, even here in steamy south Florida.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: zeng
Exactly.

toyota 5.7, 156k miles. has used nothing but 0w20. first 60k oci of 5k, 60k to present oci of 8-10k. does not use any oil ever.

I wish Castrol would use that shape bottle on all their US-market Edge oils
smile.gif

While 0w20 on a German car seems silly, remember that VW doesn't care about reliability
27.gif

Now let's see how many engines fail from using other 0w20 oils
banana2.gif

after driving new body 2018+ tiguans let me tell you idk why but those new "BUDACK CYCLE" engines are very loud and noisey....

vw also states in their training videos that the BUDACK CYCLE engine has a specially designed oil pump made to run 0w20 and that running heavier oils will hurt the fuel pump and the engine as well.

Originally Posted By: dedonderosa

vw also states in their training videos that the BUDACK CYCLE engine has a specially designed oil pump made to run 0w20 and that running heavier oils will hurt the oil pump and the engine as well.

Thanks dedonderosa,

Do you happen to have a link showing this information?

I’ve also had several cars that were fed 0W20 their whole lives and never consumed oil, and it gets quite hot where I live as well.
confused.gif
This is one of those YMMV things.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: dedonderosa

vw also states in their training videos that the BUDACK CYCLE engine has a specially designed oil pump made to run 0w20 and that running heavier oils will hurt the oil pump and the engine as well.

Thanks dedonderosa,

Do you happen to have a link showing this information?

i do not, its only for vw employees as its part of the literature info they have to watch through the vw portal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back