Dad commited suicide yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
It's just hard to know what to think.

I'm sorry to hear about this, and I truly feel badly for you.

Very recently, my friend did this and I had to reassure his wife, deal with some of his belongings and so on. My friend was suffering horrible pain, and the prospect of getting any older, more infirm and more pain was too much for him. He felt that he was unable to do any of the things he enjoyed, so life was not worth living.

I lost my father many years ago, we were very close. He stopped going to dialysis and died within 4 days. I never blamed him for his choice. It took some thought, but I came to be quite thankful to know him for as long as I did.

Last edited:
So sorry for your loss
frown.gif

Sorry for your loss, prayers sent.

The only advice I can give are two things:

1. Talk about it with a mental health professional.

2. Surround yourself with people who make you feel happy and laugh, those people help carry you through the tough times in life.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

1. Talk about it with a mental health professional.

I am not a "mental health professional", but a number of people would say I am pretty good to talk to. I want M-O-M to know my offer to meet up with you and buy your lunch someday still stands. We can talk. I am not too far away...

Wow...just read your post. Words are hard to find in situations like this. No doubt a major shock to both you & your brother. I hope your relationship can survive this as it'll be worse apart. Some can deal with this; others can't, much less well. Given his age, it sounds as though he'd just been through enough and getting 'dumped' left him feeling very alone, vunerable and shaken.

You're going to be in SHOCK for awhile and SHAKEN yourself. Not a good state-of-mind to make any major decisions. You may want to write both him & your Mother. Writing helps get your thoughts out-of-your-head and onto paper where you can look at them over time while healing. I find writing very cathartic and theraputic. Dump your thoughts & emotions onto paper. It can handle both.

Be careful when driving.

Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow...just read your post. Words are hard to find in situations like this. No doubt a major shock to both you & your brother. I hope your relationship can survive this as it'll be worse apart. Some can deal with this; others can't, much less well. Given his age, it sounds as though he'd just been through enough and getting 'dumped' left him feeling very alone, vunerable and shaken.

You're going to be in SHOCK for awhile and SHAKEN yourself. Not a good state-of-mind to make any major decisions. You may want to write both him & your Mother. Writing helps get your thoughts out-of-your-head and onto paper where you can look at them over time while healing. I find writing very cathartic and theraputic. Dump your thoughts & emotions onto paper. It can handle both.

Be careful when driving.

M.O.M., do not blame yourself.
You will have many thoughts and memories and "what it could be" and "what it could been off".

Take it slow, one day and one step at a time.

Just remember, this is your life. Live it to the best!

I walked in and found my 34 year old (same age as me basically) roommate hung in our hallway from an extension cord. I had to cut him down because I didn't know if he was dead yet. Nobody can imagine what this is like. I've been suicidal and the only thing that could keep me from doing it (barely) is thinking about the damage it might do to my parents and sister.

You don't know what people are feeling and sometimes they don't feel like they have a choice.

I hope you can get through this with some help.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back