Pledge furniture polish for your bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading some other forums where bikers said they use and love Pledge on their bikes. Not only does it shine good but it repeals dust.

I haven't tried it but it could be good between waxing times I suppose.

What are your thoughts?

Years ago I use Pledge on a vehicles paint and the tires & rubber trim. Over time, it caused an "acid rain" look on the finish that couldn't buff out and when I used it on the tire or other rubber, it caused severe cracking. I did try it on another vehicle in my DD collection and the Pledge did the same thing there too.

I have read that others use Pledge or other store brand spray-on furniture polish with good success but, not for me. Pledge is probably better on motorcycles as they're not typically sitting outside in the rain/sun 24/7 like my cars were.

USE A QUICK DETAILER INSTEAD!

Last edited:
When I owned my Road King, used Lemon Pledge as standard practice on the painted areas, tank, fenders, etc. Great stuff. In fact, just before I sold it, gave it one last Pledge shine for best presentation to buyer.

I use Pledge and a microfiber cloth on my motorcycle windshield. 11 years old and still looks like new.
A few minor scratches but no major swirls like I have seen on other motorcycle windshields.

Pledge has the liberty to change their formula, but for the most part it has been light distillates and short chain silicone oil, a very small amount (+ any other proprietary stuff, usually in small amounts). The silicone oil can help with releasing mud and reduce water wetting on parts, but silicone oil in general is a dust magnet--don't put too much if you are concerned with this. If you are really concerned about cleaning up mud, tire wet products are generally the same split, but a bit more silicone oil. Once you go that far though, you could just buy a quick spray wax so that it's static-free (no dust attraction).
I looked quite a bit at this last year; PM me if you want some easy solutions and ideas

I tried it... it attracted bees like crazy.

Never again.

There are much better products/solutions out there.

My bike is a '98 and I've had it for 19 years and a little over 100k miles. Paint looks new and Pledge is the only wax/polish I've used on it.

ROD

I know that this not what you are using it for, but these products wreak havoc with O2 sensors (and confined space gas monitors)

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I tried it... it attracted bees like crazy.

Never again.

There are much better products/solutions out there.

Yeah, I never understood the pledge thing...there are so many products that are made for vehicle detailing that work just fine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back