Liverwurst

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stopped at some little diner in Western MA with the wife and they had an old school menu...I ended up ordering a liverwurst sandwich on rye with brown mustard and grilled onions and really relished it, probably hadn't eaten the stuff in ten years. Liverwurst was very popular around Chicago when I was a kid and it was a lunch staple for me, but some people I've talked to out East haven't even heard of it. I don't do a lot of grocery shopping and hardly even look at the deli stuff when I'm in there, so I'm not sure if it's readily available in New England.
I do know that liverwurst was at least available in Dallas because I used to get a triple stack sandwich at Steve's Deli that also had corned beef and pastrami, but it sure wasn't a big part of the local cuisine. Never noticed it in Detroit or St. Louis.
Are there any other liverwurst fans out there? Is it popular where you live or where you grew up?

I ate a lot of it as a kid growing up. I haven't had it in years, but it's easy to find in deli's around here.

What's the difference between Liverwurst and liver pate ?
When I was a kid it was mostly the former, now I see mostly the latter.

Watched Andrew Zimmern at a Liverwurst "factory", and really want to try some.

It was available in the longish life prepacked meats exactly up to the day (well my observation) that I thought that I'd try it.

Originally Posted By: SR5
I ate a lot of it as a kid growing up. I haven't had it in years, but it's easy to find in deli's around here.
What's the difference between Liverwurst and liver pate ?
When I was a kid it was mostly the former, now I see mostly the latter.

As a kid in Chicago, it seemed to me that liverwurst, liver sausage, and braunschweiger were all the same or very similar. I didn't learn until high school German class that wurst=sausage.
Chopped liver was something I usually saw at buffets and I think it was typically chicken livers as opposed to beef or pork in the sausage...I remember eating a ton of this at one buffet thinking it was some kind of pudding and my mom being amazed that I was such a chopped liver fan! I felt ill for a moment when she clued me in, but then figured it was OK because I also ate liverwurst.
IDK if your liver pate is like chopped liver in the US? Seems to me that chopped liver is really not common here anymore.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Gross...no way. The liver filters junk out of the body.

Biology much ???

Not like an oil filter. It processes the junk out and sends it of to your bodies waste disposal system. Offal is a better source of nutrition than steak.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Biology much ???

Not much apparantly, kidneys are the filters.

It’s been quite some time now but the idea of a liverwurst sandwich with rye bread and mustard is making my mouth water at this breakfast hour.

A deli I worked at decades ago had 7 liverwursts to choose from.

The products ranged from inexcusably cheap to some company's Braunschweiger (a recipe) and "Tobin's First Prize Mother Goose" brand (with natural casing).

Those last 2 are truly good food products. The usual caution for moderation is in effect.

If you want to try or retry liverwurst I respectfully suggest either of the 2 types mentioned above. I'm dispatched to fetch Mother Goose for my sister with regularity.

Me, I don't like liver. It has a cloying bitterness which disgusts me. The funny thing is that it looks good to me.

A friend-of-a-friend has on several occasions provided liver from a local butchery. I've gladly prepped and grilled the stuff at 30 person events and periodically retry it.

Just like blue cheeses, it always a NO GO on my taste buds. But hey, that's why it's a horse race.

Do you seriously ever think before you post something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back