Eric O doesn't go past 5000 miles on Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! Well no point using decent oil like M1 if all the faith you have in it is 5k. I think he should hit Menards up when they have FVP full synthetic for 2.49qt. I could see changing filter if you used something awful but 5k seems a little premature. Oh well his money not mine.

No idea who Eric O is, a 2 hour + video?
crazy2.gif

There are very few engines that are so rough on oil that M1 would need to be changed at 5k. My Jeep goes twice that!

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I run my oil 5k.

Let the hate wash over me like cleansing fire.

LOL You're in good company. I only run of my three to 6K with the blessings of UOA.

I don't go past 'severe svc' with either GDi vehicle in signature, regardless of motor oil quality. Just too much stop-and-go driving for us right now.

You know what they say about opinions..... Beyond that only thing of interest to me, wondered where "hickstown NY" in upstate is. Only viewed small part with OCI opine, the rest TLDL.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
wondered where "hickstown NY" in upstate is.

For some reason it sounds familiar, some town in NY that starts with H, but when I looked at a map nothing rang a bell. Maybe Hoosick Falls? Not quite as upstate as I'd thought, though.

You have to understand, everything north of NYC is considered upstate NY to people outside of NY. Eric could be riffing on the notion he is anyplace outside of NYC, or he could truly be north of Albany.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Eric can change his oil a often or as little as he wants to.

Exactly. Its his money to spend as he wants.

I run my oil 5k.

I like your attitude.

I WANT to change my oil more often. Don't get me wrong, I could go longer, I believe oils can go past 5k, but I just don't have the patience. I guess I like changing oil. Something about opening those new bottles and poring them in makes me feel good. When all my oil is $2/qt or less I can afford to do that feelgood stuff, I guess.

I like your signature, also.

I run my oil 5k.

Nah, think we might be a club or something...
cool.gif

I end up running my synthetics in my cars 5-6ish k more based on the fact that both of our cars usually see a fair amount of stop and go/ city driving. They usually stay in there a bit longer too....just depends.

Not like I would sweat it anyways. Wife's 15 year old engine in her car runs great for 140k and "not easy" driving....
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
wondered where "hickstown NY" in upstate is.

For some reason it sounds familiar, some town in NY that starts with H, but when I looked at a map nothing rang a bell. Maybe Hoosick Falls? Not quite as upstate as I'd thought, though.

You have to understand, everything north of NYC is considered upstate NY to people outside of NY. Eric could be riffing on the notion he is anyplace outside of NYC, or he could truly be north of Albany.

Sort of figured he meant some generic small town north of NYC, not even necessarily starting with the letter H. Having lived a few years in "upstate NY", north and west of the Capital city, a fair knowledge of the area. Why I wondered what area he meant. Even know where Hoosick Falls is.

As for Eric, no problem him (or anyone) using synthetic oil for whatever oci he chooses. However, referring to others with an opinion and experience differing from his as "stupid", another matter. An opinion he's entitled to, but imo doesn't make him the authority on the topic.

Eric is in the Finger Lakes region of Upstate NY. Small town, but he's gotten lots of YT accolade for the depth of his knowledge and how much detail he provides viewers in his diagnosis process. He may be small town, but he's well versed with complex electronics diagnosis.

As said above, he has the ability to change his own oil as mood suits. FWIW, his wife often has to fix her own Honda Ody because Eric keeps putting off the 'elective' repairs.

If I was a mechanic, I would say to follow your owners manual. Too much could come back onto you if you recommend otherwise.

5k as a max recommendation keeps people out of trouble though. Less likely to consume below the add mark.

The above would be for non BITOG folk of course.

I have been changing my oil at 5kmiles using M1 and other synths and don't feel the need to apologize.
Subaru recommended 7500 mile changes (normal service) with synth for my 2014's engine, but in 2015 they switched the recommendation to 6kmiles for the same engine. There is a strong suspicion among some owners that this was to mask oil consumption issues, but I sure don't know that is a fact.
From 6k, I dropped it down to 5kmiles because that is easy to remember and I also just felt like it. I make sure my oil is recycled even though I have a convenient brook behind my house I could just dump it into (what, am I stupid??), so I still feel all ecogroovy. I guess I will use over 200 gallons of fuel in the time I "use up" 5+ quarts of oil, so it would probably make more sense to work on getting better gas mileage (by not driving like a maniac) than to worry too much about my OCI.

The context is advice to his customers and followers regarding oil change intervals, and associated wear and tear on the engine. As a general rule, yes, I agree. No matter what oil, when you don't know the conditions. He doesn't want to be liable for the follower that takes his recommendation to go 10k on M1, run out of oil during the interval, blame him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back